SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peytonroad

can I get your opinion on this, involves neighbors.

peytonroad
12 years ago

Okay we live on 5 acres off a posted private road. The roads that the neighbors use to access their properties are also on my property. One is gravel to the left side of my 5 acres, the other "main" road is in front of my home. Both entail my property. BOTH the roads are private property posted.

We have recreational vehicles, non licensed as not necessary in my state. My kids LOVE to ride in the woods of our acreage and actually drive up the gravel road to get to our driveway. We have made a path all thru the woods on our lot. All on our property.

Problem, the neighbors are having a fit. One told my child it was "his" road as his home was at the end of the gravel road. They say they are not legal on the roads, which policed, may be so but again the roads are private. The neighbors also don't know the roads cut thru my acreage either. Another neighbor told my kids they aren't allowed on roads. My kids are helmeted, ride slowly enough for me, and I have them stop if a car does arrive on the street. I would say maybe 30 homes use these roads- 10 on gravel and 20 on front road.

How would you handle this? They all were very unkind (to be polite here on this forum) as we built. Our home is very large, very new and obviously not in same league as the 30 plus year old homes here existing. I mind my own business. I have never been nasty to anyone, and wave hi at them all most of the time. I am not a redneck either!

Comments (114)

• marlene_2007
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If someone is annoyed because you are trying to put your round peg into your square peg, I think it is their problem. However, I do not understand the analogy. (So that would be my problem.)

• natal
    12 years ago

It's a mystery to me too. What are you trying to say?

• Related Discussions

I can't believe my neighbor did this! Dead fish

Q

Comments (17)
    Hello..... I have no problem with throwing anything that rots into the ground!!! I have buried my dogs,parakeets, cats, mice, fish, lobsters, and my worst enemy,and so on near my plants...Any plant living near these things that I have buried, seem to do GREAT..I buried at least 20 pounds of fish next to a dying red bud tree 2 years ago, and that thing came back with a vengance! We know for sure the ground is the place to be for these things... But in containers???? Thats my point.. I just thought that burying these things in CONTAINERS only invites trouble and a whole bunch of maggots, and does nothing for a potted plant...In fact, maggots is what I saw crawling over the top of some of his containers, falling over the edge with tons of birds having a field day on a hot day last week... Funny thing is though, the ones that have not been dug through by varmits, are doing quite well anyways or yet still....lol My backyard STILL reeks like a whole lot of dead fish by the sea. It masks out the sweet smells from all my sweet lilies and anything else that use to make my backyard smell so nice. I hope this smell goes away fast, or I will send out the cats in my local pet shelter to have a field day..Those poor poor things cooped up all day in those small cages the next block from me......I can hear them houl all night sometimes,..;-( :-(
    ...See More

Can I get your lovely opinions?

Q

Comments (16)
    Oh man, I know I'm in trouble when I am making Mike look self-restrained. I always figured whatever Mike can manage, I can manage, if I just follow his orderly and organized model. Now you've gone and taken a year long Hoya collecting hiatus and I've tumbled out of line! Maybe I'm still okay since I don't have orchids, right? @ Susan Thanks for your support! :) It makes me smile! @ Aggie I keep them all organized into labeled flats, that sit on wire shelving units, under artificial light. The bigger plants live on my deep windowsills. I'll try to take some pictures of the main body of plants tonight. Growing indoors like this, they aren't as boisterous as plants grown in a greenhouse or in sunny Florida, but the lights keep them at a nice steady pace. When I first got interested in Hoyas, I thought: Better to acquire the bulk of my collection now, since it takes them so long to mature to blooming size. I imagined amassing 50 plants and just cooling my heels for the next few years, learning from the wise veterans, and eventually getting to post pictures of bloom 3 years hence. Well, it turns out that collecting plants is a lot like skating down a hill. The more plants you have, the more opportunities you have to acquire new ones. It's as easy to go from 100 to 300 as it is to go from 0 to 50. Most people with large collections reach a point where they reassess and modify their behaviors, and I am sure this will happen to me, too, probably sometime soon.
    ...See More

Can I get your opinion on granite options please?

Q

Comments (28)
    see down by the legs of the lady standing: there is a big crystal there that isn't consistant throughout the slab: If templates are laid well: then ok: but I have seen this many times: and they all look different. Key is do you really like it! I like the typhoon much! Color is an opinion. not my strong opinion. (slab looks a bit pale) could be camera. (also it's what is available to you at the time: bundles I mean) simular: go see: http://www.levantinausa.com/Photo%20Gallery/Granite/Yellow-Golden/index.html GOLDEN PERSA~ GIALLO BEACH~GOLDEN RIVER(WILD LOOKING)~Mascarello(WILD LOOKING)~GOLDEN JUPARANA ~ TYPHOON (picture #244 & 249 & 276 LOOK IT UP at bottom of picture 244/500) ~ COLONIAL GOLD (#247) ~ GOLD AND SILVER~ http://www.levantinausa.com/Photo%20Gallery/Granite/Yellow-Golden/index.html *please go to this: won't let you copy pictures or email them or post them: but it's a fun website: it's one of my vendors and they have an awesome website: It helps with the colors: and the differences and simularities. (no prices posted and I am not advertising: it's wholesale site anyways!) *only posting site as a tool to help! 500 slabs in the "yellow-gold" family of natural stone! (new ven gold too boring : only my opinion!) not to hurt others view.
    ...See More

Can I please get your opinions/advice on details of backsplash?

Q

Comments (10)
    You guys are terrific, and I really appreciate your input. You have definitely helped me settle on grout the same color as the tile. So, to follow-up, yes the shelf I was thinking of was the Grundtal shelf, and yes, I was thinking I would install it so as to hide the brackets behind the tile, which is why I'd need to decide in advance. This one has separate rails that make up the shelf (see link). I was thinking a solid shelf might interfere too much with the venting and lights. I'm still not sold, and I hadn't thought that it could potentially look cheesy next to the range and hood. I think I'll go ahead and get one to check this out. I could always use it somewhere else in the house if it doesn't look good over the range. If I do decide to use the shelf, do you all think it should align with the bottom of the adjacent cabinets? The large pot in the photo is my tallest stock pot. Would that leave enough room to put things on the shelf and be able to lift pot lids comfortably? About the tile next to the window, I just checked and it looks like it's about 1.5-1.75 inches between the window and cabs. Do you really think that's too much of a sliver? I suppose I could mock up that section too see how it will look before committing. Fori, the range is an AGA Legacy. Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA shelf
    ...See More
  • daisychain01
    12 years ago

The point is that you're never going to get a satisfying conclusion to the situation if you keep trying to win the point. Which you're still trying to do by trying to tell them they shouldn't be annoyed by what you're doing. They are annoyed and (IMHO) you should discuss it rather than just tell them they shouldn't be annoyed. Wait a minute are we talking about the neighbours or the posters? OMG, how did I get myself into this. I am the queen of controversy avoidance. Sigh.

• User
    12 years ago

Yes, YOUR children are riding THEIR ATVs on YOUR property. But YOU live in a community with other people. If your attitude is it's YOUR kids on YOUR property and are not interested in finding out why your neighbors have a problem with it, then it's never going to get better.

Try imagining YOUR neighbors doing something on THEIR property that caused a problem for YOU. Would you expect them to ignore your position and have the attitude that it's their property and it doesn't matter what you say? Or would you prefer the opportunity to discuss the issue with them and hopefully come to a mutually agreeable solution?

• golddust
    12 years ago

Hehehe, Daisy. Your post is funny.

It's your property. I think you can do what you want. Eventually the kids will grow up and move on to cars. That is what happened in our situation. When I saw the motorcycles at the bottom of their property with 'For Sale' signs on them, I danced a jig. I'll bet your neighbors will too.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

Peyton,

You mentioned that you don't think it's a noise issue because the people that have spoken to your kids were driving on the road at the time. That doesn't make sense to me. They could still be bothered by the noise when at their houses, but only encounter the kids whilst on the roads.

A user road (publicly-accessed road over private property) is still considered a "public" roadway since the public can obviously use it. The FedEx vans make deliveries on it; if someone sends for plumber he arrives on it; people's guests use it when they are invited to a party, etc. Since you say 10/20/30 houses are serviced by this road(s), it is not safe for kids on ATVs, any more than it would be safe for them on publicly-owned roads. Just because you technically own the roadbed, does not change the usage: it's still a public road. And your neighbors may be both legally correct about the inadvisability of your kids riding on ATVS on it, as well as practically correct about the appalling danger that kids on ATVS mixed with the traffic generated by so many houses creates.

The answer to your last question is that this IS your problem since your neighbors are accosting your kids and complaining. The question is really whether you want to find a solution or just want to keep on having a problem.

It doesn't matter whether you've got a bigger, better-kept, newer house. You are the new person, and you made a change to the neighborhood (built a house on previously undeveloped land), and that has now created a neighborhood issue with your kids riding on ATVS on the roadways. So it's up to you to resolve it.

Regarding whether your neighbors welcomed you or not (or even had a social duty to do so): Some rural social systems operate differently from suburban areas where the "old welcomes the new", perhaps because everybody in the suburbs is a newbie, at least more frequently. In more long-settled areas, it sometimes works the other way around. Often there is a (perceived) socio-economic difference that creates ambivalence and wariness on the part of the "old" residents. They don't want to be judged as lacking when compared to families that are obviously spending big bucks to build new, fancier houses (viz: your comments abut your house and the less-than-suburbanly well-kempt yards of some of your neighbors).

If your neighbors didn't venture forth to introduce themselves to you whether out of social custom, tactfulness (not wanting to appear nosey about your household -even though I guarantee many visited your jobsite when you weren't there), or being abashed, then you should have taken the initiative and made an attempt(s). Standing on some dubious etiquette-dictat about who goes first is ridiculous.

And the end result is that now there is no open line of communication for the neighbors to tell you that your kids' ATVs are creating a neighborhood noise issue or traffic hazard or are breaking the law by riding on the road.

Solve the problem by:

1. keeping your kids off the road until you check out what the law says about that use;

2) talking to your nearest neighbors about the noise issue - even ask your kids to ride around while you are visiting the neighbors so you can hear how it sounds;

3) (Speaking as a person who is a life-long resident of really rural areas) stop thinking that land ownership "rights" always trump conflicting social interests - that's a very suburban attitude. In places where most people own "acreage", boundary lines are not the key issue in getting along and resolving conflicts. What rural people usually aspire to, an often excell at, is solving problems by working out the social boundaries, not the damn** square footage.

I would be interested to (eventually) hear how you work this out. And of course, I wish you and your family a happy and healthy New Year.

L.

• sheesh
    12 years ago

I wonder if there are noise or nuisance laws that pertain to peyton's situation. Most, if not all, communities do have such ordinances.

Daisy is correct. Apparently the only conclusion peyton will consider acceptable to her is that the neighbors tolerate the ATVs, no questions asked or discussions undertaken, and without her having to seek legal advice. They are her children. It is her property, her liability, her responsibility, and her choice to ignore the free advice given here. You get what you pay for.

I hope she and her family suffer no dire consequences, beyond being the scourge of the neighborhood.

• sheesh
    12 years ago

I apologize for writing "scourge of the neighborhood." I shouldn 't have.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I sure wouldn't invite any strangers to my house even if they're my neighbor's.

Peyton, you never did answer my question if you were new to gravel roads. I'm going to assume you are because you keep defending how slow they drive. Speed has nothing to do with many accidents on gravel roads.

It seems to me your neighbor's have the same concern as I do or they wouldn't have mentioned driving by them.

Let the kids ride on your acreage, not the road.....and only let them ride during hours where noise won't bother people.

I think your neighbors would shut up. lol. Seriously, get them off the gravel whether there are neighbors or not.

• golddust
    12 years ago

liriodendron, I'm standing and clapping. You are dead on spot with your post. Weird that my neighbors with the band saw motorcycles moved here from the city.

One day, they were mowing their lower property that is closest to me IN THE DEAD OF SUMMER. I couldn't believe it. Anyone who knows anything here knows if that blade hits a rock, it will spark and there will be a fire. I mentioned the "idiot neighbor" mowing his pasture to DH and he scolded me for being negative.

Not 5 minutes later, we had a fire that had quickly traveled up his tree and threatened the top of my trees. It was scary. All the fire departments came and saved their house but it burned an acre. Sometimes what looks like negativity to some is actually practical knowledge.

These neighbors have a very large house that would have a wonderful view - if my 100' tree was not in my front yard. I don't envy their home or gardeners, I fear their lack of knowledge about rural living.

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I'm looking at the situation from a different perspective. It may *not* be the atv's, the noise, the road, the property, or anything so obvious. IMO, some of the neighbors may think you're 'uppity', with the 'new house and all'. You wave to them, but haven't developed a friendship with any of them~they may resent this. You're the newcomer, and haven't made a move to *be* friendly, except for the occasional wave, and maybe they're waiting for an invite from the 'newcomer on the block'. People sense things, and they can sense indifference.

I don't know a thing about you, but reading the last paragraph pretty much sums up what *I* might think of you, and please excuse me, but the word snob comes to mind. The possibility of your neighbors thinking the same thing might not be far off, as 'minding your own business' could be misconstrued as being snobby.

I'm very sorry if i've offended you, but I think there is more here than meets the eye. I would suggest some sort of getting-to-know-the-neighbors party, and break the ice for all concerned. Again, I apologize if i've hurt your feelings, but we all know people can be 'funny'. ;o)

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

Liriodendron, I could't agree with you more! IMHO, excellent advice and suggestions.

• peytonroad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok folks, needless to say I am not uppity, though I do live in a big home with a kept yard. I am not needing opinions on whether that is the case just what YOU would say to neighbors IF they ring my doorbell or If I am riding with the kids and am approached. I just have no desire to invite these people in to my home.

If my neighbors can't approach me to say hi than why would they approach me to discuss the matter? Why should I satisfy them if they think talking to my kids is talking to me? Heck ring my doorbell and say your peace. In the meantime, I am going to let the kids ride on my property and keep them off of the roads that arent on my property as some suggested.

I don't try to intentionally harass or inflame people. (ie respectable hours to ride, not early morn or late eve)

I do not know how the gravel road is maintained in the time I have been here-maybe my 4 wheeler? I have been driving for 20 plus years, some on gravel- the side of my homes property includes the gravel roadway, so I don't drive on it. Did I mention the roads involved are about 50 yards each? You can't really go that fast in 50 yards, the kids are riding slow. Yes I know accidents can happen ever going slow.

Remember I am looking for opinions on what to say to neighbors, not what kind of person I am or what my house looks like compared to theirs or whether I should have a relationship with these people. I understand that in writing posts, sometimes emotion can be read into and then be misconstrued to the reader- hence the uppity comments which make me laugh.

• peytonroad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lets just add another dimension to this scenario.

DId I mention that some cars speed on this road? If some of you think I should not let them ride on the road as it is lawbreaking, then shouldn't the people have to drive the speed limit? I can't control others now can I? Should they try to control my actions then?

What about when and if I want to add a pool in the backyard, what if they don't want it? Should I not have it either because I will annoy the neighbors?

Oh this is going to get good....

I am glad we can have adult conversations here without tissyfits..

• sheesh
    12 years ago

Peyton, you are certainly NOT making your case, especially with your last two posts! Sometimes it is better to quit when you're ahead. Obviously, most of us here cannot tell you what you want to hear.

• lyfia
    12 years ago

Our neighborhood is multi acre lots and the road was built to be a county maintained road. However everybody's property goes to the middle of the road and there is an easement in place for the road. This means the road is on my property as well as other properties. Would that allow me to do whatever I please with the road that runs through my property. No it is a county road, but in general there tends to be terms to even private roads that need to be followed.

I think before anybody can tell you what to say you need to post what those terms are. Until you know those terms it doesn't matter if the road is on your property or not. What matter is what the legal stuff put in place for the road says no matter whose property it is on those are what everybody has to follow. Until we know what that is nobody can give you a good suggestion beyond what speculative stuff has already been posted.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I've got to jump in here, in defense of Peyton. She said she had no desire to invite these people into her home. Just because they are her neighbors doesn't mean she gets a good vibe from them. Don't we all have neighbors like that?

I don't think it makes her a snob at all. I'd do the same if I didn't get a good vibe. Now if I was in my front yard and a neighbor was in his yard, I may make an attempt to say "hi" and walk over. And then I'd go from there.

Peyton, I'm glad you're taking the kids off the road. Especially if some of them are speeding down it. That seems to be their only complaint so I bet they'll stop bothering you.

But if you do see a neighbor in his/her yard, just walk over and say hello. You may end up liking them or maybe you won't. Which is fine. :)

• goldgirl
    12 years ago

What lyfia said. The answer to your question depends entirely on the legal rights of you and others using the road. I know you don't want to pay a lawyer, but you can't assume that you control the road because it's on your land. Easements are complicated and even looking at a plat, etc. may not tell the full story, since legal rights can arise from use.

On an aside, I'm not against kids riding ATVs. If I had my own kids, would I allow them to ride? No. But I don't think badly of parents that do if they supervise responsibly. My neighbors are good examples. But I do think that many parents bury their heads in the sand with respect to the risks. And kids riding ATVs invariably mean kids darting out of nowhere into cars, people, and dangerous situations. I've seen it over and over again because the kids can't help getting tunnel vision from being caught up in the excitement of the moment.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice not ensuring that you know your rights before talking to any of your neighbors. It's clear there's an issue brewing.

I also think this situation is a sad reminder of life today. We get so caught up on "our" rights and "our" property, that we no longer consider how our actions affect others around us.

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

Rereading your original question: what would I do if they came to talk to me. Honestly, my first instinct would be to go into defensive mode, because a. we're talking about my kids, and b. it's my property. But then after a moment I'd realize that this was my golden opportunity to stop future neighbor-to-neighbor feuds.

I'd bite the bullet and apologize for the kids riding on the road, and say that I've taken steps to keep them off the road. Don't go into explanations about why they could ride there, etc...just say sorry, it won't happen again...and MEAN IT. Next I'd offer to give them your contact info, in case something comes up in the future, or if they see your kids riding on the road, after you've told them no. The point is to give your neighbor a sense that you ARE trying to be neighborly, and that you're not just placating them. People will sense that, but by offering up being a part of the solution (giving your phone number) will ensure that you're going to stay with your word.

You don't have to offer to bake them a cake, or even invite them in for coffee...just doing that simple act will go a long way to developing trust. A lot of rural home owners don't want to be involved with their neighbors, but on a level, they are aware that there might come a time when they need to lean on one another...such as if there were a fire or other emergency, or maintaining the road. I really get the vibe that there is resentment by your neighbors toward you simple because you ARE the new kid on the block and you are representing all they wanted to get away from by moving to a rural area. Even if that's not true, it's what is percieved. Lirio really hit it on the head.

Trust me, I know of what I speak! The area that I cover in my job is a mix of the most wealthy in the state and some of the least. Within a 15 minute drive I can literally be in the Beverly Hills of Oregon to the Deliverance mountains of Oregon. And let me tell you, in any of those areas there is a HUGE difference in attitude any time you have a formerly rural area that is subdivided and/or a new, unknown landowner moves in and builds a new place.

So your job is going to be to show your neighbors that you're NOT going to be obnoxious (which they think you are) and that you're willing to let status quo continue. I've no doubt that you're not what they think, but again, it's that perception. Whatever you do, do not go on the offensive! That doesn't mean that you shouldn't be pro-active an approach your neighbors, when it's safe, and introduce yourselves and give your contact info.

I'm assuming there is a bank of mailboxes at the end of the road? If so, that is a great way to break the ice with yoru neighbors. Try to meet one or two at the mailboxes and be humble, don't try to be their friend, just be neighborly.

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

You definitely don't have to mix with them , if you don't want to; I never befriended my neighbors but I did respond to friendly gestures. I think you'll come up with proper responses if some of your neighbors do approach you with whatever concerns they may have. You'll definitely be able to tell from their attitude if they are polite and reasonable with their concerns/demands, if they have any.

We rebuilt in an area where things were pretty much the same for 30 years, so we were considered as having built a manor ; so I understand why you posted details about your home and how you may be perceived.

good luck with all this and do keep us posted !!!

• sheesh
    12 years ago

If your kids stay off the roads, and it is not a noise or nuisance issue, perhaps your neighbors will never have to come to your door and you won 't need a response at all.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I would have no objection to a swimming pool and its associated construction than to noise and "traffic" from ATV's.

Wishing all the best so you can resolve this.

• OllieJane
    12 years ago

Peytonroad, I didn't get that you were "uppity" at all! If you are "uppity" by just having a nicer home and keeping your lawn manicured than that is your neighbors problem on that end. I have a neighbor who likes the "natural" look, but in reality, he is ignorant and lazy and uses that for an excuse. In his case, he needs to move out in the middle of 20 acres somewhere, not the 2-3 acres that he moved into, making our neighborhood less desireable. I actually love the sound of air blowers, lawnmowers, etc., means people are taking care of their property.

In some cases though, before moving into a neighborhood, you need to ask yourself, how will I fit into this neighborhood? You can tell a lot by how someone keeps their house and lawn, etc. I have no desire to be BFF with any of my neighbors, and a hi and bye are enough for most of us in my neighborhood.

I just think the first concern is to keep your kids safe from the oncoming traffic, whoever is right or wrong. If anyone confronts my child, I would be at their door, evaluating the situation.

As far as horses go, I am a lover myself, but, I know of two people personally who were killed riding a horse. No one is exempt from any activity from getting hurt or killed. We have a number of cyclist on a hilly, main road we pull out on and I'm just waiting for an accident to happen, but, these people are bike lovers and they enjoy their activity. You can't just stay home and not enjoy life.

• jay06
    12 years ago

I'm questioning whether you can legally consider these roads your property when there is an easement in place, although I know there are different types of easements. If they are your property, I would think you would have some knowledge of how they are maintained, and you said you're not aware of that. Regardless, I don't think ownership should be an issue. If the ATVs on the roads bother the neighbors and the kids can ride them elsewhere, why push the issue?

• User
    12 years ago

Knowing that people speed on this road, you are still comfortable allowing your children to ride their atvs on it? I don't see building a pool to be relevant to this situation at all. I think that maybe you should have moved into a neighborhood with homes more similar to yours. Your referring to your neighbors as "these people" says a lot.

• User
    12 years ago

I also don't think ownership is the issue here.

Yes, of course you can build a swimming pool on your property (as long as it's within limits set by your town). And you can have loud parties at that pool as long as it's not breaking any laws in your town.

But, if those said parties at your pool ruined your neighbors enjoyment of their own outdoors, do you still think that would be ok because it's legal and on your property?

Same question regarding ATVs. As long as they are on your property, it may be legal. But, if there are reasons this causes a problem of some sort for the neighbors, do you still think it's ok?

I think lots of people have answered your question about what to say to the neighbors should they confront you. The answer is to find out what their concerns are and then address them. But, if you're just looking for a group of people to confirm for you that you should tell your neighbors to mind their own business since it's your kids and your property, you're not going to get that and you're not going to like the respones.

Sorry, but it appears to me that is what you are looking for. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

• sheesh
    12 years ago

We are banging our heads against the proverbial brick wall now. We cannot give her what she wants, and she will continue to try to make her case. She needs to take this question to a different forum, rephrasing her posts so they don't get misunderstood, to get the answers she seeks.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

What I would say to my neighbors would be determined by the legal information given to me by my lawyer. I would find it worthwhile to pay the lawyer so that I know exactly what I need to say when I approach my neighbors over the issue, and I would bring my documentation with me for the conversation just in case.

I would absolutely approach the neighbors (not necessarily for tea but through other means, whether a chat outside or mail) as I want my neighbors to know that if there is any issue regarding my children or any other issue, I am the appropriate person to contact. If my kids are up to no good, I want to know so that I can deal with it. If the neighbors are unreasonable or unstable, I am the one who should deal with them, not my children and thus I would take the initiative. I would also likely at some point have my children with me with during these conversations so that they learn how things are handled and so that they know what the expectations are for them and indeed for the neighbors.

I live in a subdivision with lots a minimum of 5 acres. There are 13 acres separating me from the new neighbors who decided to put in a dirt bike track. I definitely hear it. I do not complain because I understand that people move to the country for different reasons. Some for keeping horses (which do stink, but I rarely notice it now), some for the quiet, me for the extra gardening room, and others for the room to use recreational vehicles and there is a long list of things I could complain about especially excessive lights on at night. Good luck.

• kellyeng
    12 years ago

Don't fool yourself, it's the noise.

I could never truly enjoy my own home if I knew I was doing something that ruined the peace, quiet and enjoyment of my neighbors home.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

if there are 30 homes accessing the road/s, i would imagine there is quite abit of traffic on 'your property' on most days...

aside from the probable noise issue, i would be very concerned if i, my family, friends, or my teenaged kids and their friends drove on the same road as your kids rode... ONE of my concerns would be my liability if your child/children were hurt by me or mine on the road... and your interest in suing me!! i would probably contact a lawyer myself, as your neighbor, to see what advice/info they had for me...

i'm not sure how you make the choice to allow your children to ride on roads that you know cars speed on!

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I'm sticking to my POV~~as pesky has said, you're the 'new kid on the block', so you're *possibly* going to get some flack from neighbors who don't have anything better to do with their time, and have formed 'opinions'.

Olliesmom, that's *your* opinion, and you're entitled to it. As I said, keeping to oneself can *sometimes* be misconstrued as uppity OR snobby~~that's human nature. If you've never met at least one person in your life who is like that, you're very lucky. MY BFF of 50+ years has been called snobby, but she's just shy, and i've had to come to her defense many times thru the years.

Again, I don't know you personally peyton, and the point wasn't to have a 'tea party' or befriend everyone in the 'hood', but as others have said, a simple act of meeting at the mail box can get 'tongues wagging' that 'she's a nice lady', which may get the ball rolling in your defense. Your 'vibe' may be right on target, as we all have neighbors who seem what I call, 'sketchy', and would never ask them into my home. The only common denominator might be we both have children, but that doesn't support having a friendship.

Having lived in CA in what has been called an upper middle class community, i've seen and heard what busy-body neighbors can do to a newcomer, and it *was* because the 'new kid' seemed to have more wealth, ie.,bigger house/nicer cars. It's been said people in CA are somewhat shallow, and I happen to agree. Note to Californian's reading this post:this is in general, not meant for you personally. ;o)

• OllieJane
    12 years ago

patty, mabye I didn't make myself clear enough, but, we do say hi and bye and make "small talk". I do not ignore them, I just don't go have coffee with them, etc. Not sure what you are referring too.

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

Sorry olllie, didn't make myself clear enough, either. I was just stating it was *your* opinion peyton wasn't coming across as 'uppity or snobby'. It's not a *fact* since we don't know her personally, only thru the 'printed word' here on the forum. Like I said, it was that last paragraph~~" They all were very unkind as we built. Our home is very large, very new and obviously not in same league as the 30 plus year old homes here existing. I mind my own business. I have never been nasty to anyone, and wave hi at them all most of the time. I am not a redneck either!". I was reading between the lines~~minding my own business" could be seen as unfriendly/snobby/uppity. "Not in the same league" also applies. The same for "wave hi at them *most of the time* ". Of course I want to think peyton is a nice person too, but do not know her, personally.

You sound like a good neighbor, too. ;o)

• OllieJane
    12 years ago

No worries! Was just wondering which one of my opinions you were referring too! HA! Thanks!

• leahcate
    12 years ago

kellyeng says it all for me 100%

"I could never truly enjoy my own home if I knew I was doing something that ruined the peace, quiet and enjoyment of my neighbors home."

• amac
    12 years ago

It's the noise and the entitled attitude.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

"Don't fool yourself, it's the noise.

I could never truly enjoy my own home if I knew I was doing something that ruined the peace, quiet and enjoyment of my neighbors home."

Absolutely. I agree 200%.

Lots around here range from ~5+ to over 100 acres, and trust me, noise travels in the country. People have moved here because they value peace and quiet, nature, and, possibly, solitude. (The latter is NOT the same as unfriendliness btw.) Even though there is a noise ordinance, someone around here tried target shooting, and I knew at least three people really bothered by it but too timid, or too hesitant, or too something to say anything to the inconsiderate neighbor. I think somebody else finally called the cops.

peytonroad, I know this really isn't answering your question, and I highly doubt you want to hear this: but your kids are bothering people. It might not be everyone in every house, but someone in the area has had their peace & quiet destroyed. Do you really want to be that kind of neighbor?

• quilly
    12 years ago

I think Peytonroad has shown admirable constraint here. I don't think I would have been so even tempered when so many posters have critiqued her up, down and sideways about her children, her attitude, her parenting, her home, her property, the gravel road etc. She asked our opinion of how to handle the situation with her neighbors and it seems to me that she's been told a lot more than she requested, not once, but over and over again.

Obviously we'll all entitled to our opinions but I'm just surprised how vehement some of the opinions are - especially when we don't know all the details. The neighbors haven't said that the noise annoys them. For all we know they also have ATV's that they ride on their own yard. Yes it certainly is possible that the noise is their chief complaint but we shouldn't just assume that. We also don't know the age of her children, nor the size, speed or noise level of the ATV's, how close the trails are to the other homes etc.

We were also the new people in a rural area that was heavily wooded. A developer had gone bankrupt after building 40 homes on lots ranging from 5 to 10 acres in a 'private' community. Don't let the word private fool you - it just means that our streets are not up to the township's code so they won't maintain them, or plow the snow or collect trash - we have to.

The builder tried to sell off his remaining 300 acres at auction but no one bid his minimum. Then the bank took the property to settle his debt and placed it with a realtor to sell. We happened to be in the realtor's office the day they got the paperwork and we bought 150 acres. The neighbors had gotten used to hiking, riding ATV's, hunting, camping and fishing on the vacant land. When we bought it they were thoroughly annoyed that someone had the nerve to "take their" recreational land.

We've been there 15 years but it took nearly 5 years before many of the other residents realized that they appreciated the fact that they only have one new home and not the 40 that were originally proposed for our land. They have a very strong sense of community and are not keen on change. We'll probably be considered the newcomers for many years.

• natal
    12 years ago

Quilly, I don't think Peytonroad could care less what any of us think. I do think there's been a healthy exchange of info here. You're either open to it or you're not.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Thanks Quilly - it was good to "hear" your view, since you are in a similar environment.

• peytonroad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ah just visiting here, Some of you I would LOVE to live by, others, just on just comments alone, not so sure.

I was listening to my kids the other day from down the road on the atvs and realized that the noise is absent the further down the road you go, (actually in front of the complaining neighbors homes) SO THAT rules out noise complaints.

As per being a good neighbor, should I approach my neighbor about the 10 pm barking dog? or the 6am rooster on weekends? or the loud sound of a car riding on gravel up the street at 6am/10pm? Should I ask them to slow down? Does that make them bad people? NO, not in my opinion, I just live with it as it is their right to do as they wish, right? Should they get rid of the dog becuase it bothers me? Would they or would they tell me to shove it?

I have learned to let it all go and control me and mine only. The neighbors just have to learn that too, they can't control my actions because they don't want ATVS around.

I also have learned alot about posters here! Many here should heed their own advise!

LOL, will this make it to the 150 post limit??

• natal
    12 years ago

I rest my case.

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

Well~
    Until the neighbors approach you and not the children
    there's really not an understanding of what the whole story is.

I think you have had people here that represent both sides.
    So........When they come to your door to air their complaints, acknowledge them and say
    you'll go over it with your husband to come up with a solution .

Then you can post back here with the whole story.

• User
    12 years ago

Unless the complaining neighbor's home is very close to the road you were on, you wouldn't be able to get an accurate read on how loud the ATVs are to them, say, when they are in their back yard. I'm guessing since the lots are 5 acres or so that the homes are set back off the road. Why don't you go to their back yard, instead of the street in front of their lot, to see how loud the ATVs are? Couldn't hurt, right? It seems like such a simple thing, to just ask your neighbors if the noise of the ATVs is bothering them. Can't understand what the big deal is.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I've had to go back and re-read your original post several times.

It's not the noise level, it boils down to safety for your children! In order for us to give you advice, which you asked for, we have to put ourselves in the neighbor's situation, along with your's.

I see Quilly has a problem with my gravel roads comment, but that's what it boils down to. Even if the road is paved, same thing.

Your neighbors don't care about the noise, they care about possibly hitting your kids. As a driver who encountered someone on a 4-wheeler and didn't see them, let me tell you it made me shake for the rest of the day. Along with cussing like a sailor.

It doesn't matter one whit if your road is public or private, or if you're 50 miles from town, the point is your kids are putting themselves and the neighbors in a precarious situation.

Thirty houses use these roads?? Is it really hard to understand your neighbor's point of view?

You still haven't answered the question I've asked several times. Are you new to the country? If so, I think the neighbors are desperately trying to tell you about country living and the dangers 4-wheelers cause, because usually the bad results of a 4-wheeler vs. car happens in the country and they're just trying to give you a head's up.

It's like you want to be right, no matter the advice we are giving you.

• sheesh
    12 years ago

The safety issue has been mentioned several times. Why, she even said herself that people speed on those roads! Duh!

It has been interesting watching her defend her position. Sometimes I thought she was putting us on, just to keep us interested.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Sherrmann, that's why I keep asking Peyton if she's lived in the country before. The large landowners where I live all have 4-wheelers. But they know not to drive them on any dirt road even if there isn't any traffic.

A friend of my DH's lost his wife a few months ago from a 4-wheeler accident. On a dirt/gravel road. In the country.

You just don't drive a 4-wheeler on a road where cars are, whether it's legal or not.

30 houses = 30 cars a day, give or take a few. Two drivers in the house who could both work, = 60 cars a day. Throw in one teenage driver to only half the houses and that equals 75 cars a day. Wow.

And that doesn't include UPS, FedX, Mailman, service workers (plumbers, etc.).

My ds lives far in the country where each house has 5 acres also. About 10 houses in his addition. I'm there once a week babysitting and there's a lot of traffic on their gravel road.

Their neighbor across the road (5 acres is relatively small) built a go-cart track for their teenaged son. Yes, it makes noise but it's no big deal. But if were to get on the road with that thing, I'd march right over there and politely ask her to have him stop. He also plays his electric guitar on the patio and I love listening to him learning it.

I don't think Peyton's neighbors are trying to stop her children's fun, they just want them to be safe. Unless there's a lot more to the story that we don't know.

Safety first is a no-brainer.

• sheesh
    12 years ago

I know, oakley; I've been reading all along, and you have made some excellent points. I am going to quibble with your math, though, because I think we have to double your numbers! Most who go out will also return, so it's more like 150+ cars per day on those roads, plus the trips to the store, the service people, etc. Sheesh! Sounds like downtown!

Peyton said she will tell her kids not to go on the road. I hope that works. I don't know where they will ride, though, since she said she does not allow them to ride on her green grass! Priorities, don't you know!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

We live on 5 acres and our road is private but our deed restrictions clearly say NO ATVs. Are there no rules for your private road? Are you SURE it is legal for your kids to be riding where they are and that your kids never go on anyone else's property or make noise or disturb anyone? And what if your neighbors do tell you that they are bothered by the noise, will you tell your kids to stop or do you get special rights because your house is bigger?

I would go insane if someone let their kids ride ATVs all around our neighborhood. We haven't even moved in yet and we already politely told some underaged kids that were riding dirt bikes through the neighborhood that that was NOT allowed (they stopped- if they hadn't, our other neighbors were going to get the police and let them sort out the issue).

I am sorry but it is unfathomable to me that someone would allow their children to ride ATVS in a quiet country neighborhood repeatedly for hours and ON THE ROAD none-the-less. There is a vast, vast difference between dogs barking and chickens, which are expected and normal parts of country life, and a bunch of kids riding around on ATVs. Personally, I think your neighbors have showed remarkable restraint.

There's something to be said for learning that there is a time and place for everything and for learning to respect the homes and lives of others. It is not your right to do as you wish when you live in a community of other people. If MANY other people in that community are bothered by behavior that only YOU are doing, which obviously is not appropriate for the environment, then you aren't being a good neighbor.

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I *hate* the thought of children riding ATV's alone! There was a special on 20/20 several years ago relating the dangers for kids, with serious brain injuries causing paralasis to death itself. I will do everything in my power to keep my grands from ever getting on one! Thank goodness none of the paretns are 'into' them. ;o)