SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soibean

Range insert/liner decision - Zephyr Monsoon or Modern-Aire?

soibean
11 years ago

I'm down to the final decisions on my kitchen and I am trying to select a hood insert/liner. I will have a 36" Thermador induction cooktop, so I don't think I'll need the really high CFMs that the gas rangetops require. I generally don't cook on high, or on more than a couple of hobs at a time.

My main selection criterion at this point is the noise level. Zephyr advertises their DCBL system, which is supposed to be very quiet on the lower settings (.8 Sones), where I will normally be using it. Modern-Aire is probably not as quiet in that range.

Here is my dilemma. The center of my hood is right against a steel beam, so in order to duct to the outside, I would need to have two turns in the duct - one to the left to get around the beam, then another toward the outside wall. My understanding is that these turns will add noise. With the Modern-Aire, I could custom order a hood with the duct build on the left side, so I would be able to avoid one of the turns in the duct. I'm trying to figure out which one would be quieter. Any thoughts?

Comments (4)