SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodeler_ezzie

tiling above fiberglass tub unit. and constructing walls to unit

remodeler_ezzie
16 years ago

Wow, what a helpful site. I'm putting travetine tile above/around the top of our fiberglass tub/shower surround unit. I've read in a tiling book from Home Depot that I should staple roofing/tar paper to the studs and adhere the paper to the fiberglass flange. I should screw duroc cement board into the studs...I should leave a 1/4" gap beween the top of the shower and base of the duroc...I should thinset the duroc joints/corners before setting the tiles...and when finished, grout between the tiles and chalk the 1/4" gap above the shower and below the tiles. Does this sound about right? Do you recommend sealing the travertine before setting it?

I've constructed a 'made-on-site' nich that I was going to treat in the same manner, but after reading some of the messages on the site, I'm wondering if I should use a more substantial impermeable membrane? The nich will not receive direct spray from the shower, but will handle the shampoo bottles etc. It does have a sloped base.

Big Question...how to bring the bathroom walls to the sides of the fiberglass shower/tub surround? I'm not going to tile, just paint. There's a 1" flange along the sides of the fiberglass tub/shower surround. Should I

....use duroc and lay it over the flange and plaster finish it?

......or green board?

......or wire mesh and stucco cement, which is what the bathroom walls are made of, and then plaster and paint? Would the wire mesh lap over/onto the fibergalss flange?

Do you just run a bead of chalk between the fiberglass and the finished wall?

I'll be tiling the bathroom floor with the travertine as well. Seal it before AND after setting it? They're 1 sq. foot tiles. Would you set them tight or with a gap that would be grouted?

Thanks for the guidance!

Ezzie

Comments (6)