SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adriennepratt

One-piece bathtub units - replace or live with them?

adriennepratt
9 years ago

Hello, about to move into a home that has 3 full baths with cheap, white, acrylic, one-piece bathtub units in each one. The house was built ten years ago, and the tubs are not in bad shape, probably will look okay/clean enough with a good scrub down. But personally, I have difficulty even looking at these units (which every house in this area seems to have), I think they are so awful. Practical, but awful.

Apart from the master bath, my contractor advises me just to live with the other 2 from a financial standpoint. His opinion is that other people don't think they are nearly as awful as I do (in his words, Americans, because I'm Irish), and that once we replace the vinyl flooring and laminate countertops with good quality, natural materials (which we are definitely going to do), the units will look a lot better because of their surroundings.

I'd like to hear your opinions. 1) Can anything be done to improve the look of these units without replacing them? (I don't know, tile trims, that kind of thing...); 2) If I go to the vast expense of replacing at least 1 of the other 2 in addition to the master, is it financially worthwhile from a house price/rental value standpoint? I plan to live in the house for a few years before renting it out, probably. Do you think future renters or purchasers will appreciate a quality bathroom enough to make the cost worthwhile?

Thanks a lot!

Comments (21)