SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwrede

Help deciding for or against getting a speed oven!

mwrede
13 years ago

I am so sorry I know this has been discussed before. I had finally come to the decision to go with a rangetop and double ovens when I came across the concept of the speed oven. I am intrigued by the concept of having a speed oven + a regular oven but I am not sure if it's for us and if it's worth the additional cost. It would solve the issue of the extra microwave as we don't have any good above counter spot to put it (I really don't want it below counter).

I usually use the second oven about once a week to make side dishes that need a different temperature than what's cooking in the main oven. We've been using the microwave for defrosting mostly and occasional reheating or making popcorn. There's just the two of us with a baby on the way and I plan to be home with the baby.

I know some here have the speed oven and love it and I am sure some have considered it and decided against getting one. Could you share your thoughts with me? Is there a learning curve in terms of learning to cook with it? Other than the smaller cavity can you use it as a regular oven or only as a speed oven?

I am looking at the Electrolux Icon and the Advantium as the Miele is out of our price range - leaning toward the Electrolux as I was planning to use the Electrolux Icon double ovens (not really finding much info on any other speed ovens i.e. the Jenn air).

None of the stores around here have any of the icon appliances on the floor to see including the speed oven (just the regular Electrolux ovens) so I'd have to buy it sight unseen. I have seen the Advantium and was wondering if the interior oven dimensions are comparable to the Electrolux.

I would really appreciate any input. I am so afraid of making the wrong decisions but I know I have to pick something asap. We really need to get the kitchen started so it's done before the baby comes in Dec. I am also still trying to finalize our rangetop pick and find a hood but I'll try to post those questions separately.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)