SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dknipe

Building for first time. Travel for a living. Hire a stand in?

Sidney4
14 years ago

Well, this is my very first post concerning my very first build. My DH and I are empty nesters making plans to build the perfect house we've dreamed about for years and years. We have our lot and a set of plans. I have learned so much from all of you on GW already and it has given me great confidence but as we get closer to breaking ground I am becoming more nervous. In talking with my banker this week she stressed how important it is to be at the site as often as possible to make sure everything is going as planned. My DH and I both travel for a living and can't count on being around the build site with any regularity. I have been working with the builder to pin down as many details as possible but my banker feels that is often not sufficient. I have a couple of friends who have built several homes between them and seem to be masters at the process. I am considering hiring one of them to make periodic visits to the site and serve as our proxy when we are on the road. Has anyone ever done anything like this? How would one compensate a person for this kind of job? Any tips from those of you who have built homes when you couldn't be around to check upon things on a regular basis?

Thanks to all.

Comments (13)