SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gocalbears

Question on Labor Cost of Tiling Smaller Tiles

gocalbears
16 years ago

Hello. Can someone please help me figure out if I'm getting truthful information from my GC? I'm at the stage to pick out bathroom tiles for my whole-house remodeling project. The style of my home is 21st Century Craftsman/Vintage. When I showed my GC the tiles that I have in mind: pennyrounds, 1" hex, 2" hex for the floor, subway tiles for the walls, he told me that these smaller tiles are EXTREMELY labor intensive, and that he would have to rebid the labor portion of the bathroom tiling. He told me that he had expected me to choose only 12x12 tiles, and that it would be much more expensive to tile these smaller tiles. Our bathrooms are very small; about 50sf each.

My question is this -- Should there be a huge jump in cost of labor for these smaller tiles? I'm buying the pennyrounds, 1" and 2" hex tiles in sheets, no fancy designs. At the most, for the floor with 1" hex, a single row of different color tile all around the perimeter of the floor. If there should be in increase in labor, how much should I expect to (fairly) pay, percentage wise?

Thanks for any help/advice you can send this way!

Comments (11)