SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Bummer. Well, I guess it was inevitable.

sally2_gw
14 years ago

I was just diagnosed with Osteoporosis. I was totally shocked. I eat a very healthy diet, I work out with weights and I walk and jog, so I take good care of myself. I should be invincible, right? Apparently, wrong. I found out that I am in the high risk category, petite caucasian, so he wanted the bone scan done. I thought I'd pass it with flying colors. I didn't.

Anyway, he gave me calcium samples and an Actonel sample. I took the calcium for a few days, and started having such bad heartburn I had to stop. From what I've read about Actonel, I'm scared to death to take it. The side effects sound horrible. I've always been scared to death of prescription meds. It seems that once you start taking them, you then have to take something else to treat the side effects of the first pill, then you have to take another pill to treat the side effects of the first 2 pills, and so on. But the doctor was very adamant. He's worried about fractures. To me, a fracture seems small potatoes compared to jaw deformity, ulcers and chronic joint pain, which are the side effects of Actonel. Oh, and the worst side effect hits the pocketbook - it's very pricey.

Does anyone here take one of the osteoporosis meds,or do you know anyone that does? I'm wondering how it's working for you?

One other thing, if you're still reading this. Don't plan a trip to Whole Foods after your next check up. I was so bummed, and hungry (always a mistake) I probably bought $100 worth of cheese alone! Well, it's more fun than taking a calcium pill, lol!

Sally

Comments (14)