SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shescomeunstrung

Well, that doesn't look right. Now what?

J M
12 years ago

This is a second floor shower in my house. We knew shortly after moving in that the shower leaked. We determined that it was not the drain. Evidence of water damage as shown.

We recaulked inside the shower, which seemed to work initially, but then we had more leakage. We figured out how to manage our showering to minimize leaks until we could investigate further. I also noticed that the newly done caulk was failing quickly. The bottom of the shower wall on the left flexes somewhat if pressure is applied (such as while cleaning the shower), which pulled the caulk away from the pan.

Fast forward to working on the closet behind the shower. We decided to pull down the drywall to investigate. Here's what we found:

Maybe you can see that the drywall behind the shower is flush with the studs at the top, but not at the bottom. No wonder the shower wall flexes. Closer inspection reveals:

The drywall is neatly tucked inside the shower pan. I'm no genius, but I know that can't be right. You can see some water damage, though that is not where the main leak is.

You can also see that the shower was built directly on the old sub-subfloor, no new plywood laid on top. The tile in the bathroom was also applied directly over this sub-subfloor. The pan was not set into any sort of mud, but they did squirt some expanding foam in there. (Everything the POs did in this house was done to this kind of exacting standard.)

There is another bathroom directly below this one. We gutted it to the studs before we moved in, intending to get it remodeled fairly quickly, but now we can't do that until we get the leak solved first.

We didn't intend to remodel this second floor bathroom for a while and would still prefer to leave it alone if possible. But the crappy construction of the shower makes me think we may not be able to repair the situation well enough to leave it and proceed with the bathroom below. Our plans for remodeling this bathroom are extensive (moving walls, etc.) and we'd really rather only work on this room once, but time and money are too tight right now to go for the whole enchilada.

I hate, hate, hate the thought of pulling this shower out and just replacing it with another cheap shower kit. Even the cheap ones I've seen are way more than I'd care to pay for a temporary shower, and I sure don't want to invest in anything very high quality when I know we'll be ripping it out again. I can't imagine we can salvage the one that's there, can we? Pull it all out, redo the studs, drywall, and subfloor, and then reinstall it? It just doesn't seem like it's meant to be used more than once.

I guess my question is, is installing a new one our only option, or our best option, especially if we DIY it? What would you do?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!