SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebound_gw

The hazard of deleting & disabling old programs

homebound
13 years ago

I went on a hard drive cleaning frenzy today. I was getting rid of old programs, then unchecking stuff in Start-up, and then decided to get rid of what I thought were junk "processes". Oops!

I ended up losing my ability to print. Even worse, I couldn't view printers in the control panel, nor reinstall anything. Yikes.

My clue for recovery was an error that my print spooler was disabled. After more googling, I discovered that I had shut off a couple critical items from the processes tab. Here was the recovery process from another poster that I followed and thankfully got back our printing functions:

Posted:

"Liberty, i had the same problem and FIXED THE PROBLEM

1. Start>Run>Type"services.msc"

2. Under Services look for "LexBce Server">Properties>Under General Tab go to "Start up type" and select Automatic. (My problem was it was Disabled)>click ok

3. go down to "Print Spooler" verify that Startup Type is set to Automatic>then Start the Service Status.>click ok

4. Control Panels>Printers>add>voila!!!"

I had assumed that the "LexBce Server" process was for an old lexmark printer, but it ended up being critical to our HP6400 officejet and everything else somehow!

Just in case anybody else was wondering....Cheers!

Comments (11)