SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaddy101

Can someone clarify? LONG

shaddy101
15 years ago

Ok people, I have done my first ever defrag/scandisk with the new computer, I know, I should have done it before, but as I am afraid of doing wrong, am taking this is baby steps.

I would like some clarification as to what I am doing right, and wrong.

Am listing what I do, and if wrong, please do let me know how to go about it right? This XP is somewhat different from W98, and so I am scratching my head. Have done some talking behind the scenes, and perhaps I got it right without knowing I did?

OK, want to do the diskcleanup, went to programs-accessories-system tools- and clicked disk cleanup. I used to have to do ctrl/alt/delete to bring up a menu of programs running in the background, and disable those before i got started. In this XP, I get a task manager, and not sure what that means. If this is the proper thing to disable, would someone let me know please?

Then, I did the disk defrag, surely speeded things up there, but again, should I disable programs in the background, before defragging, and if so, HOW?

Then, I ran Trend Housecall, to back up the Avast that runs daily, found nothing but cookies, and temp files. Then, I ran Super Antispy and got that all cleaned up. This last was the easy one, Superantispy, I mean.

What has happened to the close programs window, if it still exists, how to find, and what to do there please,

Turn off screen saver? how to do that, I have an old directory to follow, but can't seen to find the info in XP to follow thru.

Then, after choosing to clean my C disk, I think I can check the temp internet files, downloaded program files, Recycle Bin, and Temp files to clean up, and then I can start the scandisk?

Also, could someone explain what these thngs really are?

If I can get this schedule written out, and follow steps, sure would make it easier for me, as I forget so quickly, not doing it every day does that!

Has anyone at the forum here ever written up a "menu for XP" to follow for proper cleanup as in the old days? If so, where do I find it, sorry for being so long, I am just unsure.

Comments (7)