SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juneroses_gw

Printer won't print

IÂve made a mess of things and I need help.

In my haste to cancel a print document in queue, I inadvertently deleted my printer. IÂve tried various fixes in assorted order to correct the situation but my printer still doesnÂt print documents from WordPad, Notepad, Lotus 1-2-3 or Word. It also does not print test pages I send from the computer. It will print the test page that I initiate on the printer itself.

I have a 3 month old HP Pavillion a1610n running XP Media Center Edition 2005; SP2 is installed. McAfee is also installed and I get auto updates from McAfee and Microsoft.

My printer is an HP LaserJet 4L Â an oldie but it has been A-1 in reliability.

The new Pavilion doesnÂt have a parallel port so the printer is connected via a USB to IEEE 1284 parallel printer cable (also about 3 months old). This connection has worked wonderfully from the beginning. Along with the converter cable I also received a disc of drivers but they are for earlier versions of Windows. Built-in XP drivers made it all work at the start. In the instructions with the converter cable, however, it advised that one could see if the cable was working by going into the device manager - under USB controllers I should see "USB printing support". Since everything worked well earlier, I didnÂt bother to check this. Now, however, I do not see this and am suspicious that this is root of my problem.

I have tried to both delete and configure the "virtual printer port for USB" (USB001) to which my printer is assigned but the system wonÂt allow me to do either.

Among the various procedures I have tried are:

Unplug the printer power cord and USB cable converter (both ends)

Delete the LaserJet 4L printer from "Printers and Faxes"

Delete the LaserJet4L from "Server Properties"

Delete cookies

Delete Temporary Internet Files (including offline)

Shut down the computer

Restart computer

Plug in printer power cord

Plug in the USB end of the converter cable (the other end is NOT yet into the printer)

There is NO prompt that says "Found New Hardware"

Attach parallel end of cable to printer

Allow computer to automatically install printer - it forces me to select (there is an entry for the LaserJet 4L in Windows XP)

Printer is installed on USB001 (not LPT1)

IÂve also tried the USB port where I normally use the JumpDrive with no success.

The night before my troubles began I had defraged the computer.

I have system restored to the day before I originally deleted the printer but this didnÂt change anything as far as the current printer problem.

I have added no new programs, hardware, etc. recently.

Any ideas?

Comments (15)

• bob414
    16 years ago

Have you tried the add hardware wizard in the control panel? After it searches and doesn't find anything new you can select from a list. If you select printer you can choose the port and the USB001 is listed.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your response. I have added the printer back and it is connected to USB001. However, print requests are not making it to the printer.

As I mentioned above, I wonder if the USB print driver is "lost". In Hardware/Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus Controllers should I see "USB printing support"? I don't. - June

• Related Discussions

I changed ink cartridges, now printer won't print

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm not familiar with your model of printer but here's one thing to try. I had a similar problem with my HP D1320 model. It was problem free but after changing the color cartridge it took forever to print one page (like 30 minutes). I used their online support and if I remember correctly I was told to hold in the on/off button and, while doing so, open and close the lid 3 or 4 times. That was supposed to "reset" the system. Ultimately we found my problem was that I needed to change my black cartridge --even though it was still half full of ink.
    ...See More

Epson printer won't print...

Q

Comments (1)
    Check the link below, hopefully yours is as simple as that was. Here is a link that might be useful: Fix your printer
    ...See More

Need Help! Printer Won't Print 'Selection'

Q

Comments (11)
    Maybe it's a problem with the website that keeps you from printing it. Or you may need to install new printer drivers (available at hp.com). I just use the "Snipping Tool" to highlight what I want. That way, I can save the selection to my computer or paste it in Word to print it. The Snipping Tool on Vista is great, but if you have XP, you can download a free snipping tool. I only discovered this wonderful tool recently, and I think it's one of the coolest features yet!
    ...See More

Need hellp=new printer, won't print from Documents

Q

Comments (1)
    Call Epson for help. If there is something wrong with it they will know and probably tell you to return it. I have had a couple of electronic things I had to take back.
    ...See More
  • iowagirl2006
    16 years ago

Go to your Control Panel and double click on Printers. Make sure it is selected as your default printer. Then right click on it and make sure it isn't "paused" - that happened to me once, and I tried everything to get it working.

Then go into the properties and make sure all is checked right.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The LaserJet is set as the default printer, it is not paused, and it is online. Properties settings are correct. The problem continues.

Thanks for considering my problem and the suggestions.

• wanda_va
    16 years ago

I can certainly sympathize with your problem! I also have an HP LaserJet 4L, and have been unable to use it on my HP XP computer for a long time. When I first got the XP back in 2001, the printer worked fine. Then the system crashed and a rep repaired the PC (I had the extended warranty), but he couldn't get the printer to work. He and I both called HP and tried repeatedly to download the printer drivers--but it wouldn't work. I'll be interested to learn if you are able to get it working. It's a great printer but I now have to use it on a dinosaur (Windows 3.1) computer.

I know the companies want to sell new products, but we deserve to be able to use our old equipment, too!

• cboy
    16 years ago

If you get a corrupt file in HP you have a lot of trouble.
    When you uninstall HP it only removes part of it's files,
    leaving the corrupt file. I couldn't correct the problem
    by reinstalling.
    I had this problem with an HP 3 in 1 psc.
    I attempted to uninstall, search my PC and went to the
    registry and deleted everything to do with HP.
    I allways could reinstall but the printer wouldn't work.
    I finally gave up. Saved my pictures and documents to CD
    and using eMachine CD put it back to factory conditions.
    Reinstalled my HP 3 in 1 psc and it started working OK.
    I also have a Canon i560 printer and it never causes any
    trouble and has good pictures. The last ink I bought for
    the i560 printer cost me less than $2.00 per cartiage.

• babblingbetty
    16 years ago

I can certainly sympathize with your situation...I have been without a printer for many months now because the ink cartridges are so expensive. I have a Canon Multipass 550 which has been a lifesaver in the past...being able to fax, copy and print...then when you do breakdown to buy one...install it and it still says empty cartridge, you really want to scream. But get this...the cartridge isn't the problem...it's the print head...to the tune of $50 or so and this is the third time I have replaced it and lord only knows how many cartridges were full before I wised up! Now get this....those print heads can be washed in your kitchen sink, dried on the counter and reinstalled...I sure am glad I saved the other two, i'll try that next time!

But, now...I can't get the printer to print everything on the page....it prints one or two lines of the document, then skips a good paragraph size area and picks up the print again......any suggestions! and of course, it doesn't help that the manual is online and no hard copy is provided...I'm ready to do the old uninstall/reinstall thing and see if that helps! Technology sucks....here today, obsolete before noon the next day! and it wasn't a cheapee either...about $250- $300 smack a roos 2-3 years ago! Even with the cheapees....you spend a fortune on ink, that's were they make the money i guess! So what do I have to lose if the washing dosen't work......blank pages! Congratulations to anyone who can buy Canon Cartridges for $2.00 what is the secret!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wilf.james/cartclen.htm

• fruitjarfla
    16 years ago

The latest driver on the HP website is Lj632en.exe dated 4 Apr 2002. Have you tried a different USB port? On my computer some equipment will work only on ports in the rear whereas other items will operate on the front. A brief search at microsoft.com showed that MS furnished a driver with XP for the 4L. I think it was 3.1.26. Both of my printers have USB printing support in Hardware/DeviceManager/USB controller and they are MS drivers that came with XP (for my Epson and Canon printers).

• cboy
    16 years ago

babblingbetty
    Congratulations to anyone who can buy Canon Cartridges for $2.00 what is the secret!

No secret, I checked the ink cost before I bought my
    canon printer. I don't use the HP 3 in 1 much.
    In the past I bought through Ebay from Abacus 24/7
    My last order, they sent me a special offer.
    24 cartridges for about $34.00 plus shipping.
    abacus Ink 24-7.com
    If you buy from their website the Ink cost more.

• owbist
    16 years ago

Babblingbetty writes ...I can't get the printer to print everything on the page....it prints one or two lines of the document, then skips a good paragraph size area and picks up the print again......any suggestions!

Give it 3 or 4 head cleanings. Try printing at a higher quality setting causing it to eject more ink.

Betty you are creating your own problem basically. Being frugal and not running the printer at intervals allows the print head to dry out and become useless.

Try to imagine how tiny those holes in the jets are and you can then perhaps understand how easy it is for them to get clogged as the ink dries. Try to run a small item through the computer perhaps once a week.

Way back in the good 'ole days when my Canon ink jet printer cost $650 and replacement inks $7.50 and $9.50 for colour I removed my print head and gently soaked it in warm water. Did a great job but I suspect today's printer make that task very difficult so they can sell more and more ink.

• babblingbetty
    16 years ago

Thank you for the advice...I did change the machine to a higher print quality and it does print much better, I appreciate your suggestion and will try to remember to print at least a little something each week (maybe a love note to the grandkids)! Whew....I am cheap or frugal if you prefer......Canon ink jet printer...$650....more than my budget would have allowed, even in the "good old days".

• babblingbetty
    16 years ago

Guess I spoke too soon! That darn printer is back to it's old tricks.... prints 1st two or three lines, then cuts the top part off of of the 4-5th line, then totally does not print 2-3 lines .... then prints fine! I have totally uninstalled & reinstalled the printer....I have installed new Canon Ink cartridges and print head and have never been brave enough to do the washing thing even though it was recommended by clerk at office depot too! I have done the auto cleaning of print head...print test.....and troubleshooting with no more success than mentioned in my previous post.... Any suggestions?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

Hi Betty,
    Does the test print initiated at the printer print the whole page or does it stop after a few lines also? If it prints fine, then there has to be a corrupted driver. If that is the case, it will need to be completely uninstalled/reinstalled again. When I worked in tech support for HP, there was a very specific way to do this (and it was in opposition to the instructions given during the install).

First, with the printer plugged into the USB port and powered on, delete it from the Printers and Faxes folder.

Now, unplug the USB cable from the pc

Uninstall all of the software from either the Program Files--->HP Folder, uninstall feature or the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel

Restart the pc...I know it's XP and you shouldn't have to restart, just trust me on this one

Install all of the software, when you get to the point of the install where you are instructed to plug in the printer, select the box that states "I will plug the printer in later" (I forget the exact dialog) and continue with the software install until it is finished

With the parellel cable plugged into your USB adapter and the printer powered on, plug the USB into the pc

You should see the "Found New Hardware" wizard...if not try a different USB port

Best of luck to you,
    Pam

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

Upon re-reading the posts, I realize that I have blended issues from different posters...my bad! The instructions given should work for HP, but I have no working experience with Canon.

Should be illegal to post before coffee ;-)

Pam

• babblingbetty
    16 years ago

That's OK....most of the time....I still can't function after the 2 cups... my MD says I can have....but, he thinks that should be enough DeCaf! Boy is he in for a surprise!