SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olivesmom_gw

How to negotiate with builder?

olivesmom
10 years ago

We are finally ready to start the process and have found a lot that a local builder owns, and is advertising a presale home. The listing specifies that you can choose a different plan and/or finishes, etc. So it's not completely custom.

We have a plan that we like (same company the builder uses). The house the builder is advertising is at the upper end of our price range, anything above we will have to pay cash and we would like to avoid spending more than necessary.

I already have a list of specific items and finishes that I want. I understand that I may not be able to get all of them, but how best do you think I should approach the builder in an effort to get as much as we can for the current advertised price?

Should I ask him what exactly is included and go from there? Or should I say here's the plan we want, and we want the following...how much? Just wondering if there is a particular strategy that might work best.

FWIW, here is the plan the builder is advertising, 2900 sq ft:

Here's the one we want, 2500 sq ft + we want to add a small walkout basement, so more like 3300-3500 sq ft:

This post was edited by olivesmom on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 13:50

Comments (29)