SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

need advice on what to do with bathroom layout

16 years ago

I'm generally in kitchens - remodeled my 30 year old kitchen a couple years ago. My now almost 35 year old bathroom has some things that are wearing out (again) and I'm thinking about remodeling it to improve the layout if possible. Wondering if you have any ideas or advice for small bathrooms or recommendations for other resources for small bathroom ideas/photos/plans.

We are a household of two adults - this is our main floor bathroom and we have no master bath. We'd need to do an addition to have a master bath and have decided it's not that important to us. The next owners can do that some day when they carry us out. So this bathroom I'm talking about gets a lot of use - we'd like it to be nice but space is very limited.

It's 7 x 7.5 feet total - actually it's a little less than that now but the two little inset areas on the left side of plan below could be incorporated into the bathroom. What can we do with this space to make better use of it?

Here are some things I was thinking.

We have a 64" tub now - longer than average - and don't want to go shorter so no space savings there. We'd like the tub faucet somehow on the side of the tub instead of the end - can you do that with a shower - tub faucet offset from the shower head?

Vanity is 62" that could be shorter - we don't need two sinks. The sink could be quite small in fact - it's really just a place to run water. The counterspace is more important.

I'd like to put the toilet at the end of the vanity away from the entry door. Currently it prevents the vanity doors from opening all the way. Would you put some kind of wall between the vanity area and toilet or not?

I'd like the entry door to be a pocket door - so the door doesn't fill up half the bathroom. We have alot of them in our house - but I'd want a bathroom door to lock. Are there locking pocket doors?

The entry door is not currently wide enough to allow wheel chair access so I would like to widen it about two inches.

Since I'd be giving up the linen storage area from the adjacent closet, storage is really important. Is there any reason why a tub couldn't be elevated with drawers underneath? Instead of having all that wasted space up above the tub/shower?

Or could I somehow rearrange everything and use the space more efficiently? We'd probably be gutting it completely so anything is possible - within the existing footprint.

Comments (5)