SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trashcanman

Need master bathroom layout advice - is this a crazy idea?

Michael Lamb
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Thinking about my options for redoing my bathrooms... Currently the master is 5x8, and the hall bath is 5x9. Plan A is to keep the existing footprint, replace the tub with a walk-in door less shower in the master bath, and remodel the hall bath, keeping the shower tub in the hall bath.

Plan B is to convert the master bath room into a walk-in closet, and tear out the original closet and expand it into the new bathroom. This would give me a outside window in the master bath(although it does face the front of the house and street, and is right next to the toilet. So if there are no blinds, I would put on a show if I stood up to pee.), allow me to have a dual vanity, and a larger walk-in shower with a built in seat. However, it would take away 33 sq ft from the size of the master bedroom(going from 176 to 143). If I did plan B, I would not remodel the hall bathroom.

In planning this I am thinking about future resale of the townhouse. To my knowledge, no one else in the neighborhood has a nice walk-in shower with dual vanity in the master bath, and no walk-in closet in the master bedroom. I'm abit worried though about the window being right next to the toilet, and that might be a bad thing for resale. The sill height on the window is 23" from the floor. I am unwilling to consider moving the window, because it will change the look of the front of the house, and the window does currently line up with the front door underneath. Then there's the HOA approval factor, which I want to avoid as well.

Would you buy a house where there was a window facing the front that would show you on the toilet, if there were no blinds? This is on the second story, so people on the street below would not be able to look straight in. Not even sure this is feasible, due to how the plumbing would need to be moved.

Comments (2)