SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
totallyblessed_gw

Choosing exterior colors.... red windows??

totallyblessed
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am toying with the idea of doing RED exterior french doors and windows in our new house.

I have a gardening magazine that has a french country style house in it. It has gray/tan stonework and RED french doors and windows.... and I LOVE, LOVE it! They don't show complete shots of the house, because the article is about the gardens surrounding it. And there is no info. on the architect or anything else on the house in the info. at back. I've left a message at the magazine but haven't heard back from them. HOping to source their windows and stone.

We are not doing french country style, so I'm wondering if their look would work on our new house. Our style is a texas ranch house, and the idea house has stone on it, although a brown stone, and has a brown metal roof. I'm not trying to stay true to that ranch style, as much as trying to make sure people don't look at it and think "oh my, what has she done?". LOL!!

So I guess my questions are this: Have you done red exterior windows? Will you share photo's of your windows and perhaps your exterior showing house body and/or roof color? Can anyone share sources for red windows?

Also, If I choose a red exterior, am I correct in assuming I could choose a white or neutral interior on the same windows?

Do you think that a grayish stone and red windows and french doors would even "go" on our plan?(remember, it's the S.L. idea house from 2003-Austin). And finally, if I did do the gray stone and the deep red windows, what color roof? Red?? Gray?? Something else??

Thanks for any advice or info. you can share. I would especially appreciate photo's, if you have some. I am a visual person, so "seeing" something is an easier way for me to understand what it will look like. I am undoubtedly a person who gleans ideas from magazines-- a self-admitted copier. LOL!!

Thanks. Have a blessed day!

Comments (64)

• allydaws
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not the greatest pic but...the windows are red!
    The roof which you can't see well are shingles called "Driftwood" which are grey and black in colour.
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful:

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

kellyeng~ Even without a metal roof, your house is going to be beautiful. When I got the photo's from Debra yesterday, I was very impressed with the stone work on the idea house. Yours will look really beautiful with that. I still may go with browns.... I just can't decide. :o) What stone did they use on the idea house (the one you are using)??

hoosiergirl~ thanks for the link to the photos. I have seen that FLW house before... just didn't realize that's the one Sweeby meant. I also didn't realize the windows were red. Honestly, when I saw my magazine article form the gardening magazine, I thought those were the first red windows I had ever seen. Isn't that funny... since I was seeing them but NOT "seeing" them on these other homes. Silly me. Anyway, Thank you!

allydaws (Kathy)~ Your house is absolutely charming... so pretty. I LOVE your red windows. You and Gardenchick are selling me on red windows with your photos. Thank you so much for sharing your info!

Okay everyone, I am LOVING red windows. But I'm still completely stumped on the whole roof thing. The magazine didn't call me back, so I'm not able to find out the roof(which doesn't show in the photos)color,stone brand, window brand, and "copy" them....LOL!

I wish I knew how to post a photo of the front of my house (the idea house photo). Then maybe some wonderful person on here would color it different ways and let me visualize the changes. I just can't "see it" in my head. Is that a handicap? :o) LOL!

Thanks everyone. If anyone else has photo's to share or wants to "color" my house for me, please feel free. If any of you know how to "recolor" things, and would be willing, let me know. Maybe DH could help me post the front of the house. :o) I can still use all the help I can get. I think roofing and windows are going to be one of the first things ordered, correct??? AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHH! :o-

• Related Discussions

Need advice on choosing last exterior color(s)

Q

Comments (1)
    I think it's more important to find a color that goes best with the brick, if it has to be a choice. Having the cement color look like cement is fine...and not necessary to have it match as much. I would also match downspouts and soffit to the siding...I wouldn't want the downspouts standing out as if they were trim. Instead I consider them a 'necessary evil' and want them to disappear against the siding.
    ...See More

What color exterior with Green roof, White windows & Red brick :)

Q

Comments (6)
    Yes, the roof is blue to us. For the siding, I'd choose a color close to a mid-tone in your brick (i.e. not the darkest, not the lightest, not the boldest, not the dullest). It will blend well. Given everything going on in the facade, you want a quiet blending color on the siding IMO. It's a beautiful, interesting-looking house.
    ...See More

What Exterior Colors would you choose with the window replacement?

Q

Comments (14)
    Groveraxle, it’s the lighting on the picture- the siding is beige on the back of the house. And yes, we have to replace all of them - 75% of the seals have broken and the windows are cloudy. Plus the contractors that gave us quotes have said it would cost more to do it piecemeal. So, we are just going to bite the bullet. But the siding is old and will eventually need to be replaced. We are just trying to make the best decision without pricing ourselves out of the neighborhood with improvements but still want it to look ok.
    ...See More

Help us choose new exterior colors!

Q

Comments (10)
    I have no idea what to call your house but I’d be painting that baby black (or charcoal) and white. I’m a big believer in living for yourself, not some future owner. In other words, paint the brick (actually use a masonry paint or lime wash). Of course, if you love that last photo, that look would be easily achieved. Remove the molding or paint it all the same as the siding to make it disappear. White trim will make your patio visible (right now it all blends together).
    ...See More
  • liz_h
    17 years ago

gardenchick - our house is a totally different style, but nearly the same colors. Your house looks great!

totallyblessed - DH is taking pictures for me tomorrow. I'll post them ASAP. I really love our red roof and red windows.

• mightyanvil
    17 years ago

These are Marvins in sort of a deep cranberry red but the color doesn't show up so well in the photos. The carriage house next to it is entirely red. Benjamin Moore Cottage Red. It was so nice I painted my garage the same color.

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lizh~ Thank you so much (and DH too). I look forward to seeing YOUR red windows. Thanks for sharing!

mightyanvil~ those cranberry windows are pretty too. They look great on that house. Do you mean this is your house, or you just used the same red on your own garage? Anyway, that is a nice, big house!

on another note, I was trying to redesign our master bath yesterday on our plans, so I can have the architect draw it into our plan. I don't think it's quite fitting, so I imagine she will have to add a few feet (which she did mention before). I end up with a dead space by the windows, and then cramped on the other side of the bath... not pretty. I told DH "there's are great people on THS that could help me fix this bath in 3 seconds... especially mightyanvil. DH just raised his eyebrows and gave me a look like I had lost it. LOL!!

Thanks for being here to help, everyone. Most people don't "get" the "fun" of obsessing over what color windows to use, etc. I just keep it all to myself and come here to share.

Have a great weekend, and any more thoughts, photo's, or comments are appreciated!

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    17 years ago

Funny. Yesterday I was waiting for a light at an intersection and admiring a handsome commercial building. It was medium gray with white trim and a very attractive row of multipaned red windows across the front. I thought it was a really nice color scheme and tucked it in the back of my mind for future use. Of course, if you were to look in my closet you would quickly discover that I have a soft spot for the color red.

• kellyeng
    17 years ago

Hey TB! That stone is a chopped sandstone called "Tumble Weed Tan." There is usually a lot of reds in the stone but they pick the reds out to achieve the tan/gold look.

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jxbrown~ interesting that you just ran across "my" color scheme. :o) I'm like you in the closet category.... just look in there and it's pretty obvious that I like it too. I haven't noticed your "name" on here before, so it's nice to "meet" you. :o) Thanks for sharing your observation.

kellyeng~ so it's not a cultured stone, but actually a real stone. I'm very uneducated in the building process, and stone even more so. What do you mean "they pick the red out". Do you mean some of the stones are red? If some are actually RED, are they a nice, deep red? They must look hideous, or I imagine some people might use them?? Sounds intriguing to me... a little splash of red here and there. Either hideous or nice... hmmmmmm......... LOL!!

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hoosiergirl~

thanks so much for posting that photo. That house is absolutely adorable.... looks like a storybook house! :o) I really like the red windows in their application with that green.... looks great.

I am still debating on colors. It would be so easy to just copy what the idea house did with their browns. It does look really nice. I just never saw my "dream house" as brown....EVER! LOL!!

That said, I'm really leaning towards the red windows. Last Friday I gave the magazine with the inspiration photo's to our builder. He wanted to see the red windows (and everyone there LOVED them!!) and then he kept the magazine to show the stone mason who is bidding on the job the stonework that I liked. It has more gray tones, with tan "blobs" here and there (I know that's not a technical term, but it's the best I can do). It's not absolutely gray, but warmer, so I hope the stonemason knows a good stone I could choose that would mimic it. It also has a row of red brick above each window. I'm thinking of using that to accent the red windows. I need to show the architect and see if that would even be accurate for our "style" of house?? We'll see.

Meanwhile, if any of you come across red windows, I'd love to see them!

Thanks again for all of the advice and help. Why did I never notice red windows before? I am loving them!! :o)

• liz_h
    17 years ago

Here's one photo. The windows are more red in person, more like the roof.

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lizh~

Oh, thank you so much for the photo of your red windows and red roof. It looks great! :o)

I still haven't decided about the red windows. I do love them. I just have a habit of going really neutral with things, and accessorizing with color in small things (like the flowers outdoors that I can change with each whim). I'm beginning to feel very fickle, and I'm not sure that's a good thing for someone building a house. LOL!

Thanks everyone. Please continue to chime in with your vote and/or photo's. I enjoy seeing what you all recommend. I will have to make a decision soon (and DH absolutely doesn't care which I choose) and I'm at a loss.

Have any of you ever flipped a coin to make a big decision like this?? :o) he, he, he

• liz_h
    17 years ago

I haven't reached the point of flipping a coin, but I'm always relieved when construction is to the point that it's too late to change my mind on something! And we're at the point now where of the many choices I might like for something, the field gets considerably narrower because I need to choose something that works with the materials already there. At some point it gets easier.

If it helps any, the window color is a relatively small thing in a house's exterior. It is an accent. Personally, I think the worst choice is when all the exterior materials are too close in color. I tend to choose color schemes like that, it's DH who always reminds me we need some contrast.

• kellyeng
    17 years ago

yes, they pick out the red stones. They aren't bad looking, just some people prefer not have the red tones.

Did you see the red travertine tiles I posted on my bathroom thread?

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lizh~ thank you for the reassurance that at some point the field of choices narrows. :o)

kellyeng~ thanks for the info. on the red stones. And, I will head over to your bathroom post to check out the red travertine you're thinking of for your shower. Thanks!
    Off topic, but thought I'd share. I have my changes in to Debra for the final plan, and I am getting so anxious and excited to see what she does with a few things that I am just leaving up to her to "fit in" where they are logical and best. I'm usually a bit more "hands on" in things, so this is new for me. But I'm actually feeling really good about letting her figure out where to put the exercise room, etc.

I hope to get the final plans soon. We have to start our build in October, or it gets too late due to weather. And we're leaving on a trip the last week in Sep, and will be gone at least 2 weeks... maybe longer. Yikes.... I get stressed just thinking about it.

Oh well... if all the ducks don't line up by Oct, I guess we can start in Spring. But I'd sure like to see a foundation out in our field in October... I'm crossing my fingers.

I've rambled long enough on here. Thanks everyone, for your help. Any more photo's of red windows, or further color advice??? :o)

• hoosiergirl
    17 years ago

Here's another one for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1488387}}

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh hoosiergirl~

thank you for another awesome picture of MORE red windows. I do so appreciate photo's. I find them extremely helpful. Maybe that means I'm not creative, I don't know, but I am a picture fiend!! Thank you for sharing.

Anyone else?? :o)

• hoosiergirl
    17 years ago

I'm FINALLY getting around to posting these for you, Totallyblessed! There are three houses (the first two are very similar), and I thought of you when I saw them and had to take photos for you (please excuse the horrible photography as it was on-the-fly in the car!) They're in an upper-end development in Indy. Enjoy!

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hoosiergirl~

My goodness... I am absolutely SMITTEN with red windows... now more so than ever with these gorgeous photo's you shared. Thank you so much for taking the time to post these photos for me to see. You are awesome!! :o) Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

On another note, my builder's daughter-in-law found some red windows in a catalog for me to check out. Her hubby will be the foreman on our job, and I shop in her giftshop/floral shop often, so it has become the place the builder leaves stuff for me to check out. Last week they had stone samples for me...and guess what. I thought I was leaning more towards a gray color in the stone, but seeing the sample made me realize that color/tone was out. I want something much warmer. It's amazing how you can agonize over options, and then see them in person and know almost instantly that they won't be a contender. :o)

Anyhoo....I'm hoping to choose something that will go well with RED windows. :o) I can't wait to see the windows they found for me. Just hoping they are a good quality.... we'll see next week when I look at the catalog.

Please keep those red window photo's coming. I never tire of inspiration photos. Thank you all so much for sharing your opinions and advice on even these seemingly little things (which seem absolutely huge at decision time). You have all been so helpful. I appreciate you. :o)

• ToxDocAR
    17 years ago

Look back on HGTV dream home giveaway. The dream home for 2000 or 2001 was in Maine and they used red windows. Ever since I saw that I have had voiced in my head telling me to do red...

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

meagan~

I don't remember that particular HGTV dreamhouse, so thanks for the tip. I'll check it out this weekend. :o)

It's been a while since we've "discussed" the red window idea on here. Since then I've debated changing our houseplan to italian style. I know I am sounding very fickle about now. Uggghhh. I'd better hurry up and get final plans from the architect before I lose it....he, he.

Anyone come across more red windows recently? Please feel free to share. The more I look at them, the more deeply I fall in love.... :o)

• User
    17 years ago

totallyblessed-

We're going to have extruded aluminum red windows (Eagle brand "Cinnamon Toast") paired with deep mossy green cedar shakes and creamy white/buttermilk yellow (C2 "Filtered") trim on the kinda sorta cottage cum farmhouse we're building in northern NY, so I don't think that look is limited to Italian villas (at least I hope it isn't!). No pics yet, but the window order has been placed and they will go in about the second week in January. I will post pics when the windows are installed.

Below is a link to the house so far.

sandyponder

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket album

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sandy~

love, love the house you are building. The colors sound charming, and your location on the lake(?) is just beautiful. I can't wait to see YOUR red windows. Please do share photos when you get them in (and do share photos of the progress of your build. Your house is going to be a fun one to watch go up). :o)

You know, I'm not sure about the red windows if I go with the tuscan theme. What do any of you think? I haven't seen red windows on an italian villa. I will indeed be disappointed to switch my exterior elevation to more tuscan look if in doing so I have to eliminate the choice of red windows. The red has grown on me with all these posts, and I really would love to do them. So my comment above was just laughing at the fact that I'm changing thoughts on the style of house, and maybe messing up my dream of red windows. I absolutely love the red windows in the various photos above, and agree that they do work so well in many architectural styles. :o)

Thanks Sandy, for being willing to share your photos. I'm looking forward to your red windows. :o)

• juddgirl2
    17 years ago

I'm not sure if you're still considering red windows, but I came across this post because I'm considering the same thing! We are adding on to our house, and replacing all windows and doors at the same time.

I'm looking at the reds offered by Marvin, Eagle, and Lincoln (which can customize any color). I came across this inspiration photo while researching on the web and emailed it to my designer immediately! It's an Eagle window.

• User
    17 years ago

Our red windows (Eagle "Cinnamon Toast") are being delivered to the building site tomorrow morning. I don't know why, but this is more exciting to me than framing or anything done to date. I'll have pics to post soon.

sandyponder

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

juddgirl2~ just came across your post. Thank you so much for sharing your inspiration photo. LOVE the red window. Keep us posted if you go with red... which I hope you do! It's beautiful..... :O)

sandyponder~ Ooooh goody. You must be beyond excited. I'm really happy for you... you are just moving right along at what appears to be a fast clip with your house. Yahoo! Please do share photos the SECOND you get a chance. You know I'll be anxiously awaiting the "unveiling". Congrat's on the delivery. Very exciting. :o)

• User
    17 years ago

The infamous red windows arrived in good shape this morning. DH snapped these pics and I'm going to make him take some more tomorrow. They will be installed next Monday and I can hardly wait to see them in the openings. Today and tomorrow is Tyvek and other prep work so I'm going to have to postpone gratification, again. I'm getting kinda used to it...

Thanks for your encouraging words, totallyblessed. We are moving at a good clip and it's very exciting. We have to be outta this rental by 5.1.07 and we hope to move into a mostly completed house. We'll see.

sandyponder

Coming off the truck, you can see the 4 over 1 configuration (DH is obviously color blind, as he snapped the primed, white interior side):

Close-up:

More red:

"Cottage style" windows in the kitchen. Interior is primed white.

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HI Sandy~

Oh my word... the color on your windows is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I love the red color from that brand. I'm taking notes.....LOL! :o)

Okay, I will survive the weekend, waiting for photos of these gorgeous windows installed. Can't wait to see them in all their glory, so please post photos the second you are able to. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!

I'm really excited for you.... great choice in windows... both color and style are just stunning. Love em!! :O)

• User
    17 years ago

totallyblessed-

Thank you for more of your kind words. Your encouragement and enthusiasm are sincerely appreciated. And just cuz I'm offically obsessed with these windows, here are a few more pics, and there are yet more in the album linked below.

sandyponder

A square awning that will be installed (against manufacturer's advice!) on the diagonal to be a diamond shape

Close-up of primed interior (black hardware)

close up of "bronze" screen (told ya I was obsessed)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tons o' photos

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ooh, more gorgeous photos. LOVE the black hardware. Was that a special order to get the hardware in black?

Thanks for linking yet more pictures. I'll come back to this thread this weekend when I have time for a hot cup of tea in one hand, and browse your album. Thanks so much for sharing, Sandy. You know I'm looking forward to next week.... INSTALLATION!! Yippee. :o)

• earthaven
    17 years ago

I was just about to post the same question, because I am making a similar decision myself. We are getting the Pella Designer and Architect series windows -- and I'm trying to decide between brick red, and dark brown... We will have a metal roof as well... If you were to get the red windows, I think the brown roof would compliment them really well... I too, don't like the mitchy matchy look -- and think contrast will be more fun! I don't want to steal this thread,but can we share? If anyone has an opinion on how the red would look on the Eastern Elevation, I'd really appreciate it!

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to our BLOG

• User
    17 years ago

totallyblessed and earthaven-

The black hw is a standard option on Eagle double hungs, so no upcharge. Eagle offers bronze, black, white and gold as standard options and ORB, polished brass, antique brass, satin chrome, bright chrome or pewter for an upcharge of around $30-50/window according to the Eagle rep. Black was our first choice and what we used throughout the house except the upstairs bathroom and DD's bedroom (she chose white). Our interior door hw is black and I wanted the finishes on doors and windows to match. Everything else in the house is a crazy quilt of finish colors, styles and textures, so I wanted to doors and windows the same to (hopefully) ground the space.

sandyponder

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

earthhaven~ YOur house is going to look beautiful. Is the green color on the house room where the metal will be? Sorry I don't read plans very well. :o) What did you mean by having grass on your roof?

sandy~ I LOVE the black look. Maybe I haven't been around long enough, but I've never seen black hardware on windows. It's beautiful. I also didn't know you could get ORB... love that look too.

We'll have french doors in the main living spaces, but there will be a few windows in the family room and breakfast room. So if even if I chose to upgrade to ORB, it wouldn't be that much for just a few windows. I'm sure I'll just do white in the kids rooms, like your daughter chose.

I'm glad you shared this info. We aren't to the point of ordering windows yet (meeting a different draftsman tomorrow to try to get our plans finished up... ugggghh) so I haven't shopped windows at all. But I'm excited about red after seeing your windows up close, and discovering that there are hardware options besides white. Good to know. Thanks! :o)

Don't forget to post pictures of your installed RED windows...... :o)

• earthaven
    17 years ago

Sandy -- You're lucky your black hardware didn't cost anything more.... Pella's standard colors are something like white, beige and champagne, (might be wrong on this...) but I know that oil rubbed bronze, my top choice, was an additional $55/window -- and we have 90+ windows so... the choice was easy. Champagne... :( Your windows look great though!

Totally blessed... Thanks for the kind words... Now you said, " Is the green color on the house room where the metal will be?" I'm not sure if I understand, but if you were looking at the house from the front -- Western Elevation -- there are two peaks -- which will both have the metal roofs -- if we stain the siding a deep olive green -- then the roofs will be brown or dark gray -- the flat roof to the far right -- facing South, will be what's called a "green" roof, which is a roof with soil and grass growing on it!

• User
    17 years ago

The famous red windows are installed (well, most of them are anyway). Now all we need is the shingles and siding, scheduled for next week.

DH took the pics, but I left work early to see them installed in the light of day. I love the color and how they look so now I just have to wait till the siding (dark sage green Hardi-plank, w/ creamy buttermilk trim) and shingles (Elk Balsam Green) are installed for the full effect (which I'm fervently hoping won't resemble a f*&%ing Christmas tree).

MBR closet (yes, we have 4 windows in our closet)

Kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows and more windows

• earthaven
    17 years ago

Sandy --
    Those windows look incredible -- and I love your color choice of the Sage Green Hardie and Buttermilk Trim -- it's going to look fantastic!
    * Lisa

• teresa_b
    17 years ago

I'm glad you are posting sandyponder. We're going with green and not red, but we will have Eagle windows so I'm anxious to see how you like yours. Wish I could talk DH into red though!

Teresa

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    17 years ago

earthhaven~ I'm sorry that my question was confusing. :O) I was referring to the COLOR green on your drawing that you linked. Some of the roof was colored GREEN, and I was wondering if that would be the brown metal you mentioned, and the rest of the roof the grass you had referred to. The "green" color and "green" environment connotations were confusing...LOL!

sandyponder~ WoW!! Your windows look so beautiful installed. I looked thru your linked album on the first few pages as well. Your house is going to be amazing. :O)

I had to laugh at your Christmas Tree reference. I like green and reds together, but I suppose I love Christmas so much that even if it looked like a giant Christmas tree, I'd love it....LOL! Can't wait to see your siding up and all of it put together. It's going to look amazing.

Thanks so much for sharing your windows. Please continue to share photos as you progress... it's so much fun to watch a house go up!! :o)

• cbeader
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I've got them. I love them they are Jeld-wen. I think we are going to use Cement board in grey. I like the look of the Hartland rustic siding. Has anyone used it? We want the look of real cedar siding. The roof is green metal. I still need to decide the trim siding. As you can see it is a simple ranch style. What you can't see is our beautiful view of the river.
    I am in East Tn.
    Hope I linked the pictures so they show up
    Janet

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of red windows

• User
    17 years ago

earthaven, theresa b and totally blessed-

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I'm sort of the "go bold or go home" type when it comes to color, which means I've had some home runs and some, ahem, bobbled fly balls. Bobbled fly balls inside ain't no big thang, but on the $$$ exterior, well, I'm hoping for a bases loaded homer but will take a solid grounder. We shall see.

And totallyblessed, I have to thank you for starting this thread and keeping it alive. When one is contemplating something different, like, say, red windows, it helps to know that others are doing the same, so thank you for your continued interest in all red windows.

theresa b-

Our contractor, a taciturn Yankee type, was almost effusive in his praise of the quality, shipping prep (no breakage, not even a scratch), ease of installation and look of the windows. He was skeptical cuz had never used Eagle before and kept trying to steer us to Marvin. I saw Eagles installed at a snitzy restaurant/inn near us and thought they were very good looking and made a pest of myself opening and closing all of them and asking the GM about their performance. Not long after that our architect mentioned them as a good value and a great quality window and that nailed it for us.

Obviously we haven't really used the windows yet but of course I did obsessively raise and lower all of them a couple of times (and oh, they glide so nicely), the order was delivered on time and 100% correct and we like how they look.

What color green are you going with? We almost went with the darker of the sage greens (I can't recall the color name).

cbeader-

Nice windows. On my monitor your color reads cranberry, is that correct? I think it will look great with gray siding and a green metal roof. Nice choices and love your view!

Again, thank you all for your compliments and I will keep the pics coming.

Cheers-

sandyponder

• ToxDocAR
    17 years ago

I would like to try to bring this thread back. Any more pics? Several years ago I was set on doing this for a home. Now that I am actually building (and spending $$$), I am not brave enough to do this. My home will be stucco and stone. Similar in looks to gardenchicks1 home.
    What do you do for your front door and garage if you wanted them to be a stained wood? I would be afraid of clashing. But I think a natural stain would work well....

• ToxDocAR
    17 years ago

Oh, and I am trying to keep my home more contemporary in design (no fussiness but has nice stucco and a lot of stone) for both the interior and exterior. I call it "organic contemporary".
    Would red windows throw the design off?

• gardenchick1
    17 years ago

I don't think red windows will throw off your intended design. When using stucco and stone, sometimes it's a challenge to get a "punch" of color in the scheme. The red windows do that for me. It's been a year since the picture of my home (above) was taken. Since then, landscaping has been put in and the place looks more finished. I'll take another picture and post later this week when I get back in town. I don't think you will be disappointed with red (or cinammon toast in my case) windows.

• User
    17 years ago

meagan myers-

I don't think red windows would throw off a "no fussiness" design, in fact, I think they would enhance it by popping nicely. Ours are the same brand and color as gardenchick1 (Eagle brand, "Cinnamon Toast" color), but are double hung 4 over 1 style. Here is a pic with the roof (Elk Presique "Balsam Forest", kinda, sorta brown/green/gray), Hardie trim in "Sailcloth" and copper flashing. Siding will be Hardie in a dark sage/moss green. Ignore the Tyvek, it's been replaced. (We had a hard winter here in the north country and the Tyvek paid the price.)

Good luck with your decision,

sandyponder

• ToxDocAR
    17 years ago

Here is an old image of the elevation of the home we are building. I colored in the areas to be stucco (light grey) and stone (dark grey). Ignore the off center windows of the circular staircase, they are really centered. I filled in with a red color on the windows. The windows I am thinking about using are the brick red color from Pella.
    The way our lot is set, the best way to have our garage was front entry. Well, the garage is really at an angle. I wouldn't know what to do with the garage doors and front entry door. I don't think I would want them red as well. I had planned on having a stained wood fiberglass or real wood to make them look as nice as possible, but I don't know what would go.
    I hope I'm not highjacking...

• gail williams
    16 years ago

Ok, Red Window people... please see my photos and Help! this is our lakefront remodel. as you can see , most of the windows are on the lakeside of the house. Im thinking I need a "banding" of sorts across the front and to paint the lower level a different color to break up the huge wall space. Im also attaching a photo of a house color I think would look good with the red windows. (this is a mountain lakehouse) any opinions thoughts would be appreciated...Im open to other color ideas also..

Here is a link that might be useful: lakehouse renovation

• allison0704
    16 years ago

LOL I just posted for you to search for this thread, stormywx.

• krislrob
    16 years ago

I am doing a gold shade of stucco with mine ~~ smooth with a tuscan finish. I have a brown staggered tile roof. I think the house colors look great on that house. I had a house in Oregon once that was gray with red windows and purple trim. It sounds off, but it looked way cool. I'll send photos, but we're a few weeks off. Big decisions everyday!!

• gail williams
    16 years ago

Allison, Im looking all over, cant find it!!

• User
    16 years ago

stormywx-

Here are a few pics of our red windows (Eagle brand "Cinnamon Toast") with Hardi plank "Mountain Sage" (BM Tate Olive) and Hardi Sailcloth (BM Navajo White, I believe) trim. I will post a few updated pics soon, as we are now moved in and the siding has been completed.

The Mountain Sage looks very similar to your inspiration pic, tho the trim on that house is much more yellow than ours. What color trim are you considering?

sandyponder