SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimandanne_mi

Need advice on choosing last exterior color(s)

jimandanne_mi
16 years ago

So far, so good, but I usually blow it on the last color, at least I did when remodeling!

We have weathered wood roof shingles (dark brown/charcoal with flecks of green & tan), Marley Tudor (General Shale) brick (subtly varied, with red, dark brown, tan, and off white) up to the bottom of the lowest window & continued around the house, and that sort of sand/clay color for the casement windows. (You can see Marley Tudor on the link below if you select "Michigan", then for county put "Livingston", then scroll down to Marley Tudor and click on it--on my monitor the tan color does not show up, and the brick looks more grey than it is.)

The garage door comes in 5 colors. Since the almond is too yellow, that leaves us with the clay color (don't want white, dark brown, or dark green). The structural aluminum porch post come in 4 colors, one of which almost matches the clay color of the garage that will be on the other side of the house. Both of these are almost the same as the window frame colors.

Since I'm not crazy about rollock, we have gray limestone-look sills (Ariskraft) on top of the brick. This sort of creates a problem in that it creates a "belt" of light grey color that is different in tone from the brick that I hadn't anticipated, although the mortar is dark grey.

We're looking at Alcoa 4" siding, and 7" Perfection shingles for the gables. Whenever I look at the sand/wicker/almond colors that seem to go with the brick (and also the colors used by our immediate neighbors), they don't look quite right with the cement-colored sill. When I look at Linen (a greyish white), it seems to look better with the sill color, but doesn't seem to have any umph. In some light the Sage looks good, in others it doesn't. The other greys seem too dark.

Since I don't care for the way vinyl looks as window trim, we will probably have the 3-1/2" trim be the same color as the siding.

So could any of you who are good with colors, or who might have seen anything resembling these combinations, please tell me what range of colors I should be looking at--the yellow toned sand/wicker/almond or the grey tones?

Would you have the soffits and downspouts be the same color as the siding, or the garage/porch/windows?

Thanks! Anne

Here is a link that might be useful: Marley Tudor brick (ours looks better than the picture)

Comment (1)