SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

For Bill V, Question on Laying Out Tile Patterns, & etc.

enduring
12 years ago

Bill V. I am looking for advise on laying diagonal patterns and have a couple related questions as well. I commented on your recent post on another thread and thought I should open a new thread to get my questions addressed. As everyone comments, GW is so helpful and full of great information. I had signed up on the site "that must not be named" as recommended a few months ago but now I can't remember its name!?

First question is:

1) How do you lay out the tile so that the edges are equidistant from the perimeter on both sides in a diagonal pattern? I just saw your example of a hall floor diagonal pattern on the thread "Would this niche be acceptable to you?". I posted a comment there.

This question stems from my recently completed tile job. This is my first tile job. I did a small herringbone backsplash in my kitchen. I started from the center and worked my way to both edges. One wall is fairly equal at both ends when compared to each other. The other wall is not "balanced" at the ends like your nice floor job. My tile is fairly small, so I think the ends aren't as noticeable to the casual viewer. Here is the wall I am referring to. The left side of the wall has very tiny cuts along the wall smaller than dimes!

I loved tiling! So for my second job I am planning on doing a black slate tile on my bathroom floor. Hopefully within the next year. I haven't decided on the layout yet. I may do a diagonal with squares, similar to your posted hallway image I've referred to above. Or, I might do a straight Versailles pattern that is pre cut. My room is about 7x9, so not real big. There is a "small" set of Versailles precut pattern at The Tile Shop that I liked. They also have a "large" set of Versailles. I'm leaning towards the Versailles pattern.

So, the second question is:

2) What is your opinion on a smallish floor and sizing of tiles?

Third and final question is:

3) What are your thoughts on tile patterns and sizes of rooms?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration on these questions.

Comments (5)