SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muscat_gw

tile questions for Bill V or others

muscat
16 years ago

OK, my tile is ordered, and I'm hoping to get started on the backsplash this weekend. I have been reading all the stuff I can here about tiling, and I think I have a good grasp on how to proceed, but I'm left with a couple of questions. I'm using a tumbled stone- marble or limestone- not sure which.....hope that it doesn't matter.....and glass inserts (Sonoma Tantrum tiles)

So if I have this right.....

lay out my pattern

mount them with modified thinset

(seal first? or put on wall first?)

Seal with something like Stonetech impregnator pro (is this an enhancing seal?)

I think I need to use 1/8" grout lines since my little glass accent tiles are actually a bit bigger than 2" (so they'll have almost NO grout line around them. IS THIS OK??

Grout, being careful to clean it off the surface of the tiles before it dries. (How careful do I need to be on the glass tiles?)

Use siliconized latex at the tile/granite joint

And hopefully that is it......

One other issue is that one of the walls curves with a deflection of about 3/16" at the end. Meaning, laying a straightedge along the wall, there is about 1' of wall at the end that curves a bit and that creates a 3/16" gap at the end. Is this small enough that I can fill it with thinset, or do I need to build the wall up a bit with something else, or can the tiles curve that much and not me noticed? The granite is well scribed to the wall, so there is no more than 1/8" gap from the granite to the wall.

Thanks!!!!!!

Comments (2)