SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Animal Cruelty at Target

14 years ago

We stopped to get something and heard a dog barking on the way into the store. It was obviously distressed, and when I saw where the barking was coming from, it was a car that had its windows cracked 2 inches, parked in the sun in the parking lot. The outside temperature in my car registered 90 degrees. Imagine what the temperature was inside that car!

Once inside the store, we rushed to find the security guard. He admitted it was too hot to leave a dog in the car, and he said he would check on it every ten minutes. I suggested the dog could be dead by then, and the security guard said, ''It's against Target's policy to do anything about this.'' He told me we could call animal control, but he couldn't do anything about it.

Of Course, we called animal control, but it was all I could do not to take a baseball bat and bash out the window. WHY IN THE WORLD, WOULD TARGET HAVE A ''POLICY'' DISREGARDING INHUMANE TREATMENT OF ANY LIVING BEING ON THEIR PROPERTY? If this were a baby someone left in a car in their parking lot with the windows cracked, in 90 degree temperature OUTSIDE the car, would no one from Target initiate any action? How hard would it be to summon the owner of that car to the front of the store to point out the liability of their actions? Shouldn't they be more concerned that by knowingly doing nothing, they could be an accessory to a death?

I feel like an emotional wreck. I don't know whether to call Target, my local ''Call to Action'' news channel, or write a letter to the editor of my local paper.

What would you do?

Comments (28)