SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19982892

We've missed a lot.....

User
15 years ago

I had lunch and tea with my Aunt today; she is the wife of my father's brother.

My Dad died when I was 10 and, although there was an effort to keep my brother and sisters involved with my Dad's side of the family , we grew apart. Never totally apart but rather into a " some weddings and all funerals" relationship.

I had such a lovely visit with her. We were getting together because she was so concerned about Sara and had made her a snuggy blanket and pillow for the cool evenings at the cottage. Also my cousin, her daughter, teaches grade 5 and the children had written get well cards for Sara.

She has had such a way to go, 5 kids, an alcoholic husband, lost all they had and now lives alone in a rented townhouse, has for 12 years. My Uncle is so bad he is in a long term care facility.

.....but she still laughs so easily, enjoys her 5 kids and 11 grands. She visits my Uncle two or three times a week, says she takes her vows very seriously even though she got dealt the sickness , poorness, and bad times, part of those vows. She doesn't do it as a martyr, not at all.

She served me egg salad and tuna salad sandwiches, cherry tomoates, carrot and celery sticks along with some pickles. Everything served up on her best china. It was lovely!

After lunch she, told me she knew this was a special birthday year for me gave me a crystal necklace and matching earrings that were my Grandmother's. I vaguely recall Nana wearing them. She told me that she had had them in her jewelery box for 28 years, without wearing them, and now it was my turn to put them in mine for 28 years! LOL

All of this to say, she was so graceful, so serene and so much fun! We laughed and laughed.

I will not let this pass, I'll do a better job of keeping in touch, my children need to know this wonderful lady and I need to know my cousins better.

Life is so short, time goes so fast. I learned a lot today and although I am so sad for all the time I have not shared with this very special person I'm happy for the times to come.

Comments (11)