SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladycfp_gw

Opinions on how to set glass in shower rebuild

ladycfp
15 years ago

This is my lovely shower

that will soon be partially demolished to repair a breech in the kerdi that is allowing the wood curb to absorb water, swell, loosen grout and caulk, etc. This was built so that the glass was set directly on top of the kerdi (the wooden curb was covered with hardibacker and then wrapped in kerdi- I hope that is said right) and then the tile man tiled up to the glass on both sides. The inset glass was a lovely look, and this is not what caused the breech per se, but I have been advised to avoid the same installation in the rebuild.

Could you please weigh in on options for me to do it better this time? All the glass is going to be replaced, so they are going into the wall and the curb, rebuilding the curb I believe (still waiting for an insurance adjuster.) I want something with minimal frame, but I also want the glass on TOP of the tile this time. What are my options, pros and cons of each, with pictures if possible? It is suggested that a frame band similar to the one on top of the glass now be glued to the tile and the glass set it it.

Thanks!

Comments (7)