SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thingreen

Need Opinions on Grout Water Stains Outside of Curbless Shower

thingreen
9 years ago

New to the forum, hoping to get some helpful feedback and opinions on my issue. Sorry if this is a little long....

Bottomline: Have had a finished curbless shower with 60" linear drain for a couple of months now. Have max of two 2.5 gpm shower heads going at once and the drain seems to handle it fine. There's not really any accumulation of water at our feet; I've even taken off the drain grill during the shower to see how far up the drain channel the water is filling up and it's only about 1/3 the way up. I can hear a nice gurgling flow down the drain through the p-trap. Now the issue is, I recently started noticing some darker stains on the lighter grout outside of the shower in front of the glass door which seem to be lingering now as I pay more attention to them. I'm concerned that water is maybe getting out under the tile/grout at the entry and pooling? There are only a few spots with this darkening at this point, not the entire length of a grout line. We have 12"x24" porcelain tiles on the floor as well as walls.

Background: Had some remodeling work completed by a GC over last few months. In short, turned a bedroom into a master bathroom + walk-in closet to create a master suite. The bathroom plumbing was therefore brand new. Our home is a single story concrete slab construction.

Curbless w/ Linear drain: Being a first timer at this, we made changes in plans as we went along, one of which was to make our large 8' x 4' shower be curbless with a linear drain. Due to not planning far enough ahead for this (and admittedly, the GC was not experienced with this either), the shower floor was not lowered early on. Being in CA, it was hot mopped (sloped) and drain positioned centered at the entry along the long 8' wall. Everything was hot mopped including the bench at one end of the 8' length and it leak checked ok. So I did some research and decided to go with a LUXE 60" drain because it was the longest off the shelf and fit in the space we had. It goes across the glass door entry with one end butted up against the bench. The other end stops about 1' short of the wall. I knew that there would be extra tile area that would need to be sloped from this corner towards the drain to account for the drain not going the entire length of the shower. Oh and it's about 3" offset from the entry with the tile backsloped towards the drain.

Tile: I thought the tiler was pretty skilled IMO. Because we didn't drop the shower floor, he had to build up (float?) the entire bathroom floor outside with concrete before tiling to match the shower floor height with drain. He sloped the shower floor 1/4" towards the drain which seems to be working fine, i.e. the water line stays within the glass door envelop, with some accumulation on the one tile that's backsloped towards the drain.

I've attached a photo to show the overall layout. I'm not sure how to post multiple photos?

Questions:
1) What is the most likely source of water causing the dark spots? The dark spots are in front of the glass door as well as off to the half wall side where the towel bar is. This makes me worried that water is wicking through under the tile? I don't think the hot mop is leaking, as the inside was completely covered at least 10-12" up the walls and the entire bench.
2) If there is water getting out, what can I do to figure out where it's coming from and how bad it is? Is the telltale sign that the dark spots aren't disappearing quickly that there is water sitting under that spot?

I'm really trying to make a pre-emptive move to avoid long term damage if there's trouble brewing. But I also need a practical solution because I have budget as well as domestic constraints (newborn baby).

Thanks!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio