SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raebutt

Almost Curbless shower...leak at the curb??

raebutt
6 years ago

We remodeled a bathroom tub/shower (about 1970 vintage) almost 5 years ago to accommodate my handicapped father. Total gut and rebuild with a contractor, plumber and tiler. They used hot mop, backer board, wire mesh and mortar then preped for tile. The shower has had infrequent use, about 6 times a month. No problems. Then a month ago we noticed water damage to the baseboard (MDF) that meets the edge of the shower. Called the plumber who installed it figuring it was a leak. We removed the baseboard and cut holes into dry wall to look into the space behind, (this was area behind built in seat and hand held shower head), all was dry. It appeared that water was escaping along tile threshold, under glass door and then wicking along MDF. Solution: remove MDF and install tile baseboard and new rubber dam on glass shower door.

Fast forward. We have moved into this bathroom while we have our Mstr Bath remodeled. Same company, same plumber different tiler. We use the shower 2 times a day everyday. Waiting for MDF removal and tile installed as above. We have noticed that there is water in front of the shower threshold everyday and it is still there 12 hours later. We wipe the glass shower door down daily after showering. The floor is tile and the shower is tile. there is a small height difference between the tile floor of the bathroom and the shower threshold, 7/8 of an inch. The shower floor is slightly sloped to a center drain. It is 20 inches from front edge of shower threshold to drain and a 1 1/4 inch slope. It seems as thought the water leak from shower to bathroom floor is coming from the grout line at the base of the threshold where the threshold meets the floor. It is always drippy! 2-3 tablespoons of water that seem to seep out of the grout joint. The threshold is dry as is the grout on the shower floor just inside the shower threshold.

Any ideas? What should we do first to problem solve this issue?

Pros pleas chime in here. If this is a construction mistake I don't want it repeated in my new in progress Mstr bath!!

Comments (13)