SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alida_gw

Curbless shower - Do I have this right?

alida_gw
10 years ago

Hello all! I am a long time lurker who is finally getting ready to begin our MB remodel. DH wants a big shower... really big... as in right now, he'd like to take one whole end of the room, which would be a shower approx. 8.5' long by 5.5' wide. He and I are still in discussions about this.

I have searched thru as many previous threads as I can find and just want to make sure I understand what's involved in a curbless shower. So... since this is a remodel and the current shower is curbed AND the floor of the shower is slightly higher than the bathroom floor... in order to go curbless, the existing floor joists would have to be lowered and reinforced in order to create the correct slope from the shower door to the drain?

DH would like curbless but there will have to be some trade-offs for cost. Is this expensive? Does it matter which way the floor joists run? Is it worth it?

We are middle aged and do not currently have any issues with access. Realistically, if we get to the point where negotiating the curb in our shower is too much, there will be bigger issues with the house and we would be downsizing.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)