SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cignig

Rebuilding my shower - Advice needed (pic included)

cignig
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So I gutted everything out of my bathroom and shower down to the wood framing. Before doing the rest of the bathroom, I started on the shower first. So far the drain is in, preslope is done, curb is in, pan liner is in and I just started hanging the cement board. I realized I need to cut the corner of the cement board where the curb is so it sits closer to the liner (see red arrows / red dashes) but, where the two boards meet, it looks like a decent size gap. I'm going to have to take them off and investigate but, would eliminating that gap be an easy fix? Either the framing behind is uneven or something else is causing the cement board to bow like that. I thought I checked everything with a level beforehand but I guess I overlooked something.

Also #1, I plan on regarding everything. It's probably an obvious answer but, should I apply regard to the cement boards now before packing the floor with mud?

Also #2, when researching shower installs, I see so many mixed opinions on embedding the cement board into the mud floor. Am I supposed to embed this with the floor or am I supposed to leave the cement board ~1" above the final mud pan?

Pic got uploaded sideways for some reason. Not sure how to fix that. Sorry

Comments (13)