SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowang_gw

Need advice on saving my rhodondendron please! - Pics included

snowang
17 years ago

Hi folks, this is the first time I'm posting on this forum. I am in dire need of some advice on whether and how I can save these rhodondendron in my garden.

We took out the old rhodondendron last spring because the leaves turned brown and they were not producing flowers any more. Put in these new ones following the instructions (loosen the root ball, put in peat moss and compost, fertilizer, etc.). Honestly we don't know much about rhodondendron. Last summer we had a lot of rain first and then was dry and hot for a while (DC Metro area). I tried to water them every day but by fall some leaves started turning brown and looked bitten up. There are also branches that look dead on two of them. I doubt if they will bloom this year. They are on the south side of the house and get direct morning sun and only a little bit of shade in the afternoon.

I've posted some pictures here. Would someone offer suggestions on what I should do at this point? I'm planning to put up some mesh protection from the summer hot sun. Any special treatment I should apply? If nothing can revert their situation now, I may have to search for another shrub to replace them :(

{{gwi:389090}}

{{gwi:389091}}

This is the picture of the rhododendron on the other side of the garden.

They are fully established and get a lot of shade in the summer. Obviously need some pruning. We'll probably do that after they bloom this year.

{{gwi:389092}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus