SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Layout Review Requested

9 years ago

We are planning a master bath remodel and I think I have a good layout plan but wanted comments from this forum before I proceed to the details stage. The location of the fixtures is very close to where they are now, but the toilet and shower were flipped and the tub and vanity will be shifted down a bit towards the MB. DH has checked our existing plumbing lines and is confident that this will work. Our goals with this remodel were to increase the shower size (now 60 x 32), allow for double sinks, and make the space seem more open - we currently have a separate room for the shower and toilet.

Some details not shown on the drawing --- the shower space is 70 x 40 - it does not need to be 70 x 40 but we want at least 65 x 36. It will have ½ walls with glass on top only on the front and toilet side. I don’t like cleaning glass and plan on a towel bar on the front wall. The shower head would have to go on the left side, or possibly the back wall. Not sure if the shower is deep enough to have it on the back wall. Thoughts?

The tub space is 98 long, and the wall in front of the toilet will be a pony wall to shield the view of the toilet. The freestanding tub I have selected (Toto Soiree) is 72 x 39 and will have a floor mounted filler at one end. I am considering a barn door at the doorway to the bedroom which would probably be open most of the time at that end of the tub.
The wall next to the vanity at the entrance to the closet will be a pony wall and we may need that space for a towel bar on the shower side. My vision for the vanity is something like this

Contemporary Bathroom

We are hoping to do a wall mounted toilet and like the idea of a bump out to accommodate the thicker wall space required for the tank and think a ledge behind the toilet and possibly some shelves above that could add some interest. We hope to add a window where the toilet is. We currently have a window where the tub is but it needs to be replaced. Both windows will be at least 4 ft off the floor. We back to woods so privacy is not an issue but there is a porch roof below that we don’t want to look at. Treetops are a better view!

I plan to make that pony wall in front of the toilet thicker than normal and use the space for storage of toilet paper etc. Since I know people seem to either love or hate closed in toilet rooms, I’m hoping this alcove will give the best of both worlds. I’ve also been toying with the possibility of having a swinging panel that would serve as a door to conceal the storage area and could swing open to create a “gate” to block off the entrance to the toilet alcove - sort of a ½ door for a bit more privacy. DH and I don’t care about privacy and would not be likely to use it often but it could be a benefit on resale. Is that a crazy idea?

Comments (5)