SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charliedawg_gw

We're building again!!!

charliedawg
16 years ago

Well, we're building a workshop. :)

I've cross posted with the garage forum but I'm posting it here too. I know that a lot of you have fantastic workshops and garages so I wanted your advice.

I'm the designer and dh is the builder. I'd love for you to share what your favorite gadgets and must haves are that make your garage/workshop functional and easy to use. If you have photos, please post them.

Here is our floorplan, the walls and doors can't be changed at this point but everything else can. It's a 13 x 13 being built on an existing concrete foundation.

Heres the framing...we have a lot more stabilizing to do. He's just getting started.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• tragusa3
    16 years ago

I want one (he says in whiney child voice). :)

• amyks
    16 years ago

I had to check the date on your post, charliedawg! Many things went through my mind, including but not limited to job transfer and insanity...Good luck with your project. I have nothing to offer but support!

LOL tragusa3!

Amy

• Related Discussions

We're off again!

Q

Comments (1)
    Posie, my thoughts and prayers are with you and DH as you go to Minneapolis. Ask God to be the pilot and you be the co-pilot on your trip. (That's what I pray whenever I'm anxious about driving.)
    ...See More

Couple pics of house we're currently building

Q

Comments (2)
    Looks like another winner to me. I'm not generally fond of stone and brick mixed, (just personal taste) but that one could change my mind. It's very well done.
    ...See More

We're on the cusp of our new build!

Q

Comments (7)
    I thought that I'd share in your excitement. My husband and I are at almost the exact same point with our new build as you are. I just drove by our lot. The existing house was demo'd 2 days ago and they started grading today. We bought our lot a year ago and have been in the permitting process since October.... Seems like an eternity doesn't it? I am so excited to begin work. So here's a great big hooray for projects getting under way. Good luck with your new build!
    ...See More

Desperate tile search: InterAmerica Navona

Q

Comments (0)
    When we built our current house in 2002, I used in the master bathroom a decorative tile that I absolutely loved. We're now building again and I REALLY want to reproduce this bathroom decor in the new one. However, the tile distributor we used in '02 no longer carries InterAmerica. I'm hoping my attempt to post a picture is successful -- they're about 2" tiles and the picture shows a whole sheet. Does anyone have any idea of how I could pursue this? I'm feeling like chipping them off my wall . . . but I'm afraid the buyer would notice . . . Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More
  • zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

charliedawg,
    We need to build a garden shed. Are you guys doing the building or did you contract it out? Did you design it yourselves? It's lookin good!

DH is not particularly talented re building and we are looking at kits, but can't find any (so far) that meet our needs.

• ajpl
    16 years ago

Nice! DH is already thinknig about his garage and barn even though he's not allowed to start until the house is finished.

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL tragusa, you sound like my dh did.

I would have to agree Amy, only the truly insane would build a house back to back. There is no way on this earth I could go thru that again right now.

Zone8 - We are doing it all ourselves. So far it hasn't cost us a dime because the foundation was already there and we saved all of the wood that had nails in it from our build. All we have to buy is doors, windows and some siding, we're going with wood siding. We looked at the kits but just for info. Luckily, my dh is really handy. He would have *tried* to build our house all on his own if he had the time and my blessing.

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

We have an existing garden shed, 10 x 16 on our site. We're working with it for our lawn/garden equipment. One thing I asked for was to not have to squeeze by the lawn tractor and gasoline to get to my garden tools. So, DH will cut a new door for me. The one thing I would like would be to have some rakes, shovels, hoe, broom, other long-handled tools hanging on that wall just behind the human door--maybe below a single shelf there.

Then on the right of that door, on pegboard below an upper shelf, I'd hang my most-used loppers, hand pruners, and other handtools, so I could grab and go without going to the rear wall.

Below the shelves I might want DH to rig some tilted galvanized or plastic garbage cans with my usual soil conditioner, cedar mulch, and potting mix. Handheld scoops and/or short-handled shovels and buckets nearby so I could scoop out the goodies I need.

Jeez--I'm getting ideas now and I'm not supposed to be thinking about this yet. Ask me about anything specific you're interested in. I'm an old gardener!

• luckymom23
    16 years ago

That's great Charliedawg! You have given me a great idea (saving the wood) as we will building a garden shed after our house is complete as well. I'm sure if I show this to DH he will get stuck on your drawing...focusing on the '52" lawnmower', LOL!

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

OMG! We're doing a teardown of an old house on our building site. DH is already planning to salvage the kitchen cabinets for his woodworking shop (a separate building from our garden shed). Do I dare even mention salvaging some of the framing? I can picture him being scooped up by a bulldozer as he dashes in to grab lumber! LOL!

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pinktoes - my dh is going to be soooo mad at you. :) Thanks for making me realize that I need a space in there just for ME. All I was thinking about was what HE needed.

I'm definitely going to takeover the space behind the standard door. It's going to be mine, all mine!!! I'm far from a gardner but I like to fake like I am. I'm seriously bad at it.

We saved soooo much wood. Our builder said anything that has a nail in it we could keep because it could not be returned. She didn't have to pay to haul it off so it worked for both of us. We have 2 x 4's, OSB board, 2 x 8's that we are going to use for shelving. I'd say overall we have about 150 pieces. Mainly from the scaffolding they made along the way.

Lucky - that 52 inch mower is his baby. He loves that thing. We bought it used but it had a new engine and runs great. I took a photo of him using it because he looked like a kid in a candy shop...all smiley and stuff.

• BriosaFarm
    16 years ago

Good catch on the idea of making sure there is room for the gardener in you, ladies! ;~) When we built our detached garage, I actually had the smallest size overhead door put into the back wall (which happened to face area where I would be doing a lot of gardening) so I could open it up and have access to all my cra* (I mean handy gardening stuff!) LOL I like being able to put the wheelbarrow inside when it's full of dirt or compost that I didn't finish with yet and rain is coming, etc.

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

charliedawg,
    You are saving a ton of money! I am envious. Our garden shed has to wait until next year.

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

charliedawg: then I should perhaps not mention that DH is actually WALLING off my section of the shed. Partly to protect me and my asthma from so much of the gas fumes from the lawnmower. But it also provides both sides with another wall for hanging things and shelves. Anything up off the floor is a benefit! I didn't say I was a good gardener, BTW. And be aware that every tool you learn to operate is one you may be expected to use. I have avoided the hole-digger for that reason. A lot of my "gardening" is weed-pulling, shrub grooming, mulch spreading, and leaf raking. We call it "gardening" around here. Other places call it "grunt work" or some such.

Does your guy have a John Deere? Because there are so many cute gift items with their logo. Our mower is a crappy antiquated Craftsman, but one day he'll trade up.

briosafarm: you're the one who should be outlawed! Is your OH door on a remote control, too?? Once again, an item for my next life.

• BriosaFarm
    16 years ago

I know I'm bad, I can always find ways to spend someone else's money. ;~) I just got soooo tired (in two other houses before this one) of climbing all over packrat DH's "stuff" to get to my stuff so I made sure I carved out some "territory" this time around, LOL. It's okay if I want to be messy just inside "my" door but at least I have a way in and out that is only cluttered with my own mess. haha

• chisue
    16 years ago

A recent New Yorker has a cartoon with two Cave Women talking at the entrance to their cave while Mr. Caveman is sweeping out his big, fancy garage next door. It's part of their regular feature where readers suggest captions.

• jabbahop
    16 years ago

Our blog is kind of old (finished in 2005) but have added a couple of pictures of the shed we just added this summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont house with shed

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

jabbahop: Absolutely adorable! So leftovers is how people get those matching garden sheds. Love it.

• susanka
    16 years ago

Our yard is too small for a shed, but I'm going to build a gardener's bench to put on our patio, something with shelves and a place to hang tools and put pots. This will also be out of leftovers. There are lots of plans for these on the Net.

Looks like it will be a nice shed, charliedawg. Glad you're going to have a place for your seriously bad gardening. I'm in the same category.

• jabbahop
    16 years ago

so folks don't have to go to the link here is the shed

{{gwi:1486188}}

• flgargoyle
    16 years ago

charliedawg- I posted a bunch of ideas over on the Garage site for you. I won't type them all here again, since I type w/ one finger while I scratch my head with the other....

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jabb - Your building looks great!! Your sliding doors are wonderful. I wish we would have thought of that before we started.

Flg- Thanks a bunch for all of your advice on the other thread. I posted back to you. :)