SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Pls talk me off the ventilation ledge - xpost

lisa_a
9 years ago

DH and I looked at hoods today. He ruled out VAH. He didn't like seeing the inner workings of it. He told me that he kept expecting the appliance rep to put a screen up to cover the squirrel cages and was surprised when I told him that nope, what you see is what you get. He thought it would be cool if we were going for an industrial vibe but since we're not ...

He pretty much goes along with what I choose - he's very easy going - so when he expresses a preference, I listen and accommodate his wishes as often as possible. For instance, we'll have a pull-out cutting board because he insisted. ;-)

Anyhoo, the hood we liked the best during our shopping trip today was the Wolf chimney style, 42", 600 cfm. We liked its looks and how it worked (there was a "live" one although it wasn't hooked up to vent to the exterior).

The other contender is a Modern Aire PS-24, also 600 cfm and 42" wide. I've received a quote and finish samples from MA (no local dealer so we can go directly with MA). They've been great to work with.

Neither choice is inexpensive but we've backed out several fairly big ticket items from the remodel - no more BCC unit, we're going with open doorways, not pocket doors for the DR/kitchen and kitchen/hallway transitions, and we're keeping our 12 yr old DW - so we can swing the additional cost of either hood over more reasonably priced options.

The problem is that the only MA hoods I've seen are the ones shown in GWers' kitchen reveals. I've never seen one in person. No chance to kick the tires, so to speak. While I've admired them - a lot - buying one sight unseen makes me a tad nervous.

I'm kinda thinking that I can't go wrong with either choice but it's a big ticket purchase and I don't want to make the wrong choice.

Has anyone else bought a MA hood or another hood without seeing it IRL?

TIA!

x-post kitchen forum.

Comments (5)