SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Which one? Pls help me decide.

lisa_a
8 years ago

Thanks to all who helped me think through a redesign of our hutch yesterday! In case you didn't play along, here's that thread: Second-guessing, talk me off ledge AKA charging station in drawer?

We've opted to ditch the charging station and bill cubbies behind a door in the kitchen hutch in favor of an open shelf. I've drawn up two options, both based on inspiration pics:

Option A inspiration pic:

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

The inspiration hutch is wider than ours is but otherwise, the concept is quite similar. Here's our take on it:

(The corbels are twice as wide as shown, a total of 1 1/2" thich each). The bottom shelf is 36" wide, interior.

Here's Option B's inspiration pic:

Historic Blue Hutch · More Info

It's shorter than our hutch and possibly a bit wider, too. Here's my drawing of that set-up:

I drew the cubbies equally divided, however, the cubbies in the inspiration pic aren't divided in equal sections; the center section is wider than the sides. Both DH and I like that visual. I wrote the alternative division on the plan.

We're leaning towards the shelf divided into 3 sections because 36" wide seems a little too wide for a single shelf. Plus, if I opt to store cookbooks here, a divider would help keep them upright.

I'm going to purchase a small basket (PB or Pier 1 have good options) to hold charging cords, items to be charged or charged items waiting to be used (Kindles, tablets, etc) to store in the center section (having a USB port installed in the back of the cab). I'm going to use a decorative napkin holder for bills. I found a really cool one at Wayfair. All other paperwork will head to the file sorting shelves in the den.

I'd love to know what you think and, if you have open shelving, how wide your shelving is. Pics would be so helpful, too!

We need to make this decision today. TIA!

Comments (9)