SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oakrunfarm

Pls help me decide on oaks to line the driveway

oakrunfarm
16 years ago

Hello all,

Much to our dismay, the local school board purchased acreage behind our home to build an 800 student school.

They are taking some of our land and some trees that we planted along our driveway 20 years ago when we moved here.

Sooo, we have purchased another piece of acreage in a more remote location, and are relocating Oak Run Farm.

We have a very long driveway - 300' plus - and would like to replicate our oak tree lined drive at our new farm. The drive is bordered on both sides by four-board wooden fencing, but we have left lots of room between the driveway and the fence in anticipation of putting in the trees.

I was looking at the Live Oaks because I love the evergreen aspect and canopy of them, but I am afraid we may be too far north and/or west to grow them sucessfully.

We have PLENTY of room for the trees to spread out, and would love to have a thick full canopy that will span our driveway and provide privacy. We would also like something that is relatively fast-growing.

When should they be planted, how far apart should they be, and what size of tree do you think would be best to start with? We'd like to get something well-started, but are more concerned about the best chance for survival.

Any ideas or recommendations would be most appreciated! :)

Comments (40)