SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Love House of Cards kitchen - would it work in my home? (X-post)

juddgirl2
10 years ago

X-post from Home Decorating - I'm new to the Kitchen forums although I often visit to look at all the beautiful kitchens!

Is anyone else loving Frank and Claire's kitchen in House of Cards? I just finished the first season and liked the show but fell in love - with their house, especially the kitchen and baths. I keep going back and stopping the show to ogle the rich white cabinetry and millwork, dark walnut floors and details, the beautiful white and black tile, everything! I think it's the combination of dark brown, black, white and cream that makes it most appealing to me.

If you've watched the show, do you think this decor would be considered a "modern traditional" style and do you think the kitchen and bath could work with a "modern rustic/country" look (which is what I have)?

I'm going to be remodeling my master bath soon and also the kitchen if we decide in the next few years that this is our "forever" house. My house already has craftsman style creamy white millwork and walnut stained wood floors but it also has a lot of reclaimed wood, oil rubbed bronze and natural stone (ledge fireplace, travertine bathroom floors, slate kitchen floor), which I love.

My current kitchen has oak cabinets (quality but orangey with cathedral uppers), tan granite, and black appliances, all installed by PO in 2000. For now, we just plan on replacing the failing appliances with stainless steel and I'm considering painting the cabinets a creamy white because I really don't like the current color. Staining them dark won't work because I don't have a lot of natural light in this room and I have a dark floor.

But - if we decide to hold off for a larger remodel in a few years, I'd love to use creamy white cabinets, marble and/or soapstone counters, similar to the House of Cards kitchen. I also like the white cabinets and tile in the bathroom. Could that work with a more rustic home?

Also, I haven't found any sources for the kitchen and I'm not well versed in kitchen design but when I read other posts I see references to different cabinet styles (overlay, inset, etc.). Does anyone know the style of the House of Cards kitchen cabinets and do they look like they have any glaze? (DH wants glaze whether we paint current cabinets or get new ones and I'm not so sure.)

Here are some pics of the kitchen and bath from Netflix and some features I've used in my own home (most were taken a few years ago during constrution so things have changed a bit).

"House of Cards" on Netflix:

Also love this kitchen from S.R. Gambrel:

My stuff:

Comments (16)