SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firstfoxbat

RE: Bosch DW gives off funny smell after several days of non-use.

firstfoxbat
16 years ago

I too have a BOSCH dishwasher (Model Number SHU66C06UC/43) with the notorious odor problem. My conclusion, from my experience, is that the resin that coats the dish racks and/or the plastic parts (rotating washer arm, etc.) give off the odor when they get wet. Evidence: (1) my 15 year old KitchenAid dishwasher never gave off an odor; (2) I installed the BOSCH dishwasher myself and made sure the drain exit was high enough; (3) when I remove everything that I can easily remove (racks, strainer, etc.) and let them sit in the sun all day to dry, there is almost no odor; and finally, (4) when I let the dishwasher sit with the door closed, no dishes, but with wet racks, I have to hold my nose when I open the door! I find the "food becoming rancid" theory not very convincing --- I've got a garbage can that can produce some pretty foul food smells, different with different foods -- my diswasher always produces the same smell, which I would describe as a "chemical" smell, reminiscent of, but not the same as fish.

By the way, my wife has solved the odor problem --- she makes me load the dishwasher!

(Also, my old KitchenAid dishwasher instructions said that the small amount of water left in the bottom of the dishwasher was intentional -- to help preserve the gaskets.)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner