SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momali3

messy building site

momali3
15 years ago

I am getting more and more irritated by how messy our building site is. Construction began the middle of June. As of today, most of the framing on the first floor has been done and they've made a good start on the 2nd floor, which is basically just two guest bedrooms and two baths, as well as a walk-out attic storage room. Our building contractor hasn't placed a Dumpster on the site. There are three or four messy piles of debris that, of course, are getting higher and higher. A neighbor called the company and complained about debris blowing into his yard after we had a big wind storm last week. He talked to our builder's brother, who's in business with him, and asked him when in the world they were going to place a Dumpster on the site to contain all the debris. The brother said, "We don't do Dumpsters. Too many people use them for their personal trash, and we end up spending money to haul off trash that's not ours. We do put up temporary fencing to contain the debris though." Well that was well over a week ago, and no fence has been erected. I called our builder 2 days ago and asked about it, and he said he would "see to it." But, as I said, still no fence as of tonight. In addition to the usual construction debris, the framers just toss their soda cans and plastic bottles, empty cigarette packs, etc., on the ground. I took a friend out there tonight and was embarrassed by how awful it looked. Eight years ago we had a major addition done to our current house, and every evening the contractor would come out himself and check on the work. His younger brother's job was to sweep up at the end of every work day . But if the contractor found any little thing in the way of trash, he would personally sweep again. Admittedly, we were living in the house while the work was going on, so perhaps he was more conscientious about keeping things tidy than is typical. Are my expectations too high?

Comments (23)