SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

x-posting: Exterior paint for fibercement siding?

Posted this first on the paint forum but there doesn't seem to be much traffic there so trying it here...

My builder screwed up and failed to order the factory painted Certainteed fiber-cement siding I wanted in time to for it to arrive when needed - or in a reasonable amount of time thereafter. In fact, he didn't bother to tell me he hadn't ordered at all until the house was already wrapped in Tyvek and siding needed to start going up ASAP. GRRR! So, I got stuck with letting him use primed (but not factory-painted) Hardie siding which is all that was available in my part of the country without ordering at least 5 weeks ahead of time. Didn't want the house to sit in Tyvek wrap for six weeks so gave in on the siding. (Double GRRRR! Vent....vent....)

So, now it is time to paint and Builder is suggesting Sherwin-Williams. But apparently SW reformulated their exterior paints relatively recently and I can't find anything about how their newer exterior formulations hold up.

Can anyone recommend a top-quality exterior paint that you know from experience will hold up on Hardie or other fiber-cement sidings? Especially if you are in a very hot, sunny climate that can vary from sticky humidity to dry as a bone? I want something with as long a warranty as I can find. Does any paint manufacturer warranty site-applied exterior paints for 15 years? If at all possible, I'd like to find a brand that has not been reformulated recently b/c with new formulations it is impossible to really predict how the paint will hold up.

Frankly, I'm not that worried about the cost because if builder had gotten the factory-painted Certainteed like I specified, he wouldn't be having to paint at all. Plus, Builder has already admitted that buying Certainteed pre-painted would actually have saved him about $700 over the cost of the unpainted Hardie plus paint plus painting labor.... if he had only ordered it in time! GRRRR!! (No, I've got to let go of that and move on....)

Anyway, I'm going to demand the best quality exterior paint I can find and if it winds up costing him a bit more than he had expected, too bad. He owes me on this one!

Recommendations?

Comments (12)