SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

Best exterior paints for fiber-cement siding?

My builder screwed up and failed to order the factory painted Certainteed fiber-cement siding I wanted in time to get it in in a reasonable time. Didn't bother to tell me he hadn't ordered the siding until the house was already wrapped in Tyvek. GRRR! So, I got stuck with letting him use primed but not painted Hardie siding which was all that was quickly available in my part of the country.

So, now it is time to paint and Builder is suggesting Sherwin-Williams. But apparently SW reformulated their exterior paints relatively recently and I can't find anything about how their newer exterior formulations hold up.

Can anyone recommend a top quality exterior paint that you know from experience will hold up on Hardie or other fiber-cement sidings? I want something with as long warranty as I can find and, if at all possible, a brand that has not been reformulated recently b/c with new formulations it is impossible to really predict how the paint will hold up.

Frankly, I'm not worried about the cost because if builder had gotten the factory-painted like I had asked, he wouldn't be having to paint at all. (Plus, builder has already admitted that buying Certainteed pre-painted would have saved about $700 over the cost of unpainted Hardie plus painting costs.... if he had only ordered it in time!)

So I'm going to insist on the best quality exterior paint I can find and if it winds up costing him a bit more than he had expected, too bad.

Comments (4)