SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pearl2007_gw

Need advice RE: Picking Builder

pearl2007
15 years ago

Some background: We had an architect draw up a plan. We met with about 10 builders and asked 5 for estimates. From the builders that gave us estimates, we have found one that has a reasonable estimate and we like him and his work. With all that being said, since getting a good idea of what it was going to cost to build our house, we realized we needed to scale back, downsize in order to get the cost down.

My question is, and I need some good advice here..... do we get back together with this one builder we like and tell him we like him... BUT we are revising our plan. We would like him to be our builder and we want to work with him to fine tune this new plan we are working on to get the price where we need it to be. In other words, provide a new estimate based on new plan and help us to get the price within our budget.

OR.... do we explain to this one builder, we are revising our plan, and we would like him to provide a new estimate for this new plan (we can pay him for his time for providing the first estimate, so he doesn't feel like we're spinning his wheels) and then go out and get 2 other estimates for this new plan.... so we know he is still giving us a fair price.....

What would you advise... I appreciate your help with this.

Comments (7)