SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aussies_gw

Urgent advice needed - need to pick granite installer

aussies
15 years ago

I need to decide on a granite installer as soon as possible. I have gotten 5 estimates for fabrication - $2300, $3100, $3300, $4800, $4900.

The lowest estimate is from the company recommended by my cabinet dealer. He uses them a lot, so it's possible that's the reason they are cheaper. However when one of the contractors he had also recommended was here, he had asked if we had picked a granite fabricator. When I told him we were considering this company and asked what he thought of them, he said they were good, but his tone and body language suggested that he wasn't that impressed. So I pressed him and he said that they were fine, but that they left a little bit too much of a gap for his liking ... but quickly added that really they did a good job. I asked him who he recommended and he gave me the name of the company from whom I then got the estimate for $4800.

The company with the $3300 estimate was recommended to me by a work colleague. This company did her bathroom countertops and then her kitchen countertops, and she highly recommended them. I've never seen her kitchen and she's currently away on vacation.

I know I should probably see an example of their work, but I'm pressed for time. The hold on our slab has already expired and I'm nervous that we will lose it and have to start over. (The stone yard already had somebody else interested in all 3 remaining slabs earlier this week, but were nice enough to call me and see if I was still interested).

On the one hand, I'm always nervous about going with the lowest bid, so I'm inclined to go with the company my workmate recommended. On the other hand, is that just throwing money away? Maybe the cheapest one is fine. We won't have any seams and we're not getting a granite backsplash, so it would seem maybe that would reduce some chances of unhappiness.

What would you do? Is it worse to rush in without having been to one of their references houses? Or is it worse to lose our slab and have to start over? Should I choose the one with the personal recommendation or should I choose the cheaper one recommended by the cab guy?

(BTW DH always votes for the cheapest option).

Please help!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!