SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenfromknoxville

Advice needed on granite installation

karenfromknoxville
16 years ago

Hi,

The fabricator came over yesterday to make a template for my granite. We planned a 30 inch granite backsplash behind the stove and a regular 4 inch granite backsplash along the counters and sink (it's an L shaped small kitchen). The fabricator said the kitchen wall behind the sink bows and there will be a 1/4" gap between the backsplash and wall which will go about 2 1/2 feet. He suggested tiling rather than the granite backsplash as walls that aren't perfectly straight are pretty common in kitchen remodels and tile is more forgiving.

My floor is a patterned cork, the granite (Golden Queen) has strong movement, and the cabinets are cherry with a chestnut finish (Oil rubbed bronze hardware). The KD is pretty strong on keeping the granite and painting a small strip of wood the color of the wall to cover the gap. I went to the tile store today and looked at different tiling options. I'm totally confused as to what would look the best.

I would desperately appreciate your advice. I love the movement in my granite and definitely want that to be the focal point of my kitchen. I'm afraid my KD's suggestion for filing in the gap in my granite backsplash is going to look terrible.

Help!!! Suggestions are welcomed as the fabricator wants an answer soon on how he should cut the granite!

Thanks for your help!

Karen

Comments (7)