SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bren_va

Review of plans and finishese

bren_va
15 years ago

I have been reading a lot of posts on this website over the last few months and am astounded by the amount of advice and knowledge offered here.

I decided the time has come to seek your advice for myself. We are in the very early stages of planning for a build in the next 12-18 months. We have not yet purchased land or a floor plan but I spend time looking on line whenever I have free time. I have also started putting together an online folder of the finishes that I would like to use.

When we actually do get to the point of soliciting bids from contractors I want to be able to provide them with an exact list of every item (that I can think of)so that their bids are more comparable and once we choose a builder, make theses items part of the contract.

I have looked at 100's of stock floor plans. I'm sure we would not be able to afford an architect for a custom plan so I need to find one that we could live in without too many changes.

I am attaching a link to my current favorite. A southern living plan by John Tee as well as an album I created with an edited floor plan and some of the finishes that I would like to use. We have three children ages 6, 13 and 16. The 6 year old would be on the main floor and the two older ones upstairs.

My questions are ...

1. Do you think the changes I have made improve or hinder the original plan?

2. Which plan do you prefer? The original or floor plan 1 or 2 that I created?

3. Which exterior do you like best? Stone/hardiplank or brick?

4. Do you think the finishes I have chosen would complement this style house?

I know I am asking a lot in my first post, but would really appreciate any advice you could give.

You can see the original floor plan here...

http://store.johntee.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JT&Product_Code=1138&Category_Code=OVER-3000

Here is a link that might be useful: new home folder

Comments (21)