SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelntx_gw

Our house plans

kelntx
16 years ago

Ok, I am not sure if I know how to do this! I do not have a scanner to scan the plans on my computer so I just took pictures with my camera! LOL! The one main thing that is different is the house is being built reverse of what this shows. All plans that are mirror image the builder has. We changed it right before we started to build. Our main thing was we only wanted one living and one dining. We looked at so many plans! There was either two living or two dining and then we found this one! Everyone says I should have our master on the other side of the house but here is my reason for wanting them all on the same side. We are WAY out in the country and DH travels out of town a lot. I feel better knowing Lauren is closer to me. Ok, let me know what you think. I hope you can see it ok

So here it is:

{{gwi:1481776}}

{{gwi:1481778}}

{{gwi:1481779}}

Comments (42)

• allison0704
    16 years ago

You'll never be able to get furniture into the master bedroom with that entrance. The sink is too far from the cooktop. Will there be another sink in the kitchen?

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The opening to the bedroom is 4' 3' 1/2" in both entrances and the architect who was looking at plans with us did not see a problem with it so I am not worried about it. Plus that little nook is not going to be there so the entrance will be deeper and the other wider by 1' 3". We have a queen size bed and the dressers are not overly huge. Our rent house has the same type entrance into our DDs room and it is a much smaller opening. We did not have any problems getting her furniture in.

I moved the cook top from the island to the other counter. I did not want a cook top and it is not that far from the sink and I like the lay out so I am good with that as well. We were more concerned with counter space then how close the stove and sink were. Nope, we are not having another sink. The only problem we could see is when you need to empty out boiling water, etc. I have the pans that you can take the inner part out when you are cooking noodles and such so again I do not see it being a huge ordeal. You are not the first person to comment on the stove and sink though. I guess it just all depends on what each persons wants and needs are :-)

Thanks for your input though!!
    Kelly

• Related Discussions

Critique our house plans so far...

Q

Comments (23)
    I think the overall basic design is quite good. The layour is simple and efficient while also maintaing fsirly large room sizes. I especially like the layout of the left side of the house- entryway, great room, dining, kitchen, keeping, laundry, 4th bedroom. So its definitely on right track. Biggest thing I see is a lack of closets. I don't see a coat/shoe closet near the main entry, or a linen closet. Not that those are musts, it depends on your lifestyle. The pantry is huge; it's like an entire room on its own. I think you can reduce it and use the leftover space in another way. I'm thinking maybe a reading nook or some other private, secluded space. But then I'm an extreme introvert and secluded spaces are really important to me. If you guys are extroverts it may not matter. Also depends on what you'll be using the 4th bedroom for when there are no guests. I don't particularly like how the master is accessed. I would rather see it accessed off the same hall as the kids bedrooms. That means of course the master closet and the one bedroom closet get smaller; the tradeoff being that it allows for a more private master in that you don't have to constantly traverse thru the main living space to get to the private space. Finally I think the kids bathroom is top tiny. It's fine for now but once they get older i bet they'll want more space.
    ...See More

Have our house plans that we are not using--anywhere to sell?

Q

Comments (20)
    I think you are missing the point - complete architectural house plans include elevations for each part of the house, materials for each part of the structure, floor levels, integration with the site slope and grading, and many other details that tailor it and define what will be actually built for you. You also hope they include consistent architectural elements and a good design, which is what you should get from a professional. Many online plans are just a floor layout and a couple standard elevation drawings, and they may work fine if you have a flat rural lot with no setback restrictions, no unique soils or grades, no local covenants, and no other special items that need to be included in the plan. I find them very useful to get ideas and see what type of layout works, but you need more detail before you start building. Bruce
    ...See More

Critique our house plans

Q

Comments (61)
    Stephanie, you're a gracious, intelligent woman. What you've done in trying to learn about home design here was the functional equivalent of trying to get a drink out of a fire hydrant. The information overload can really get overwhelming! I think you're moving in the right direction. And I don't think it's too unreasonable to go back to your architect and ask for another concept. Maybe even plan to go into a session where he sketches (not full drawings, just ideas) more than one concept so that you can see which direction you want to go in more fully. Some other thoughts, as well, since you said you want to stay here as long as you can: Drive around and get a feel for the local architecture. I think design is both more effective and more responsive when it encompasses the "spirit of place." This is especially true if you're looking to build something that seems like it always belonged there, rather than something that people will look at and say, "Oh, that house came from the 2020's!" More book recommendations: Gil Shafer's "A Place To Call Home" https://www.amazon.com/Place-Call-Home-Tradition-American/dp/0847860213 Russell Versaci's "Roots of Home" https://www.amazon.com/Roots-Home-Our-Journey-House/dp/1561588679/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr= If no one has suggested it yet, Susan Susanka's "Not So Big House" - which isn't as much about building a SMALL house as it is maximizing quality and livability over sheer square footage. https://www.amazon.com/Not-So-Big-House-Blueprint/dp/1600851509 Hopefully, if you communicate with your architect how you live, and how you want the house to "feel", you'll come closer to a really great design than just trying to incorporate things you like about specific floorplans. Keep on keepin' on. It's so much easier to get it right on paper than it is to try to fix things once building starts.
    ...See More

Building and would love any input on our house plans so far...

Q

Comments (11)
    Just a few thoughts, and they are only my opinion. A couple of things that I find odd. -I really think access to the Master walk-in closet through the bathroom is very limiting to the function of two people getting ready. -I feel like you exit the kitchen to access the pantry. I know it's just a few steps, but it feels weird to me. -Would you really access the screened in porch from the Master bedroom? -I do not like the layout of the main bath. The vanity seems really squished in the corner. I would put the bath along the left wall and the vanity on the wall where the bath is now so it's what you see when you walk in. -There is no front closet by the front door. Even if you use the garage entry most of the time through the mudroom, a small entry closet is useful for guests. -The mudroom seems small and also does not appear to have enough storage room. -What is the hidden room for beside the mudroom, can the mudroom be expanded into that space? You may have good reason for all these choices and it's your house, so always do what feels best to you!
    ...See More
  • lindybarts
    16 years ago

Kelly, I like your plan alot! I do agree with Allison on the kitchen though. There's a kitchen design rule called the "triangle". For your kitchen to be the most efficient, the Fridge, Stove and sink need to be in a triangle shape with nothing blocking your access. But I still think what you have is functional. I like how much counter space you have next to the dishwasher and unloading right into the cabinets above.

Here's one article about the triangle...google it and there are many. That said, my pantry is REALLY far away from my kitchen so I don't follow rules either! LOL!

Happy Building!
    Lindy

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Work Triangle

• badin
    16 years ago

I was glad to read that you've already figured out that your furniture will fit through the master suite entrance, because I really like it. I am not good with visualizing size and distance, so could imagine myself not realizing that it could be an issue.

If your back porch depth is 10 ft. or less, you may want to consider enlarging it. (I can't read the measurement notation.) We found there wasn't quite enough room to walk around our table and chairs on our former 10 ft. patio.

I like the arrangement of your garage entrance, laundry room, back door and powder room. It looks like it will be convenient for when you're gardening, as well as for your daughter when she and her friends are playing outdoors.

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That was a good article. My sister was the first to mention the triangle. I think I made her mad when I said it is a triangle just a big one with the corner of the island in it! LOL!

The funny thing though is the cook top was exactly across from the range right now in the original plans. It was on the right side of the island so you would still have to walk around to get to the stove. Go figure. The only change we made was move it to the wall and make it a range. We talked to the original people who had this plan drawn up and she said the walk from the sink to the stove (theirs is the cook top) is no big deal so I felt pretty good about just moving it to the wall side.

I was thinking of taking the pocket door out of the powder room and putting in a regular door but I have read a few posts that say this wish they had kept the pocket door. I have never been a fan of them so....I am still out on it!

Kelly

• amyks
    16 years ago

I like your house plans, Kelly! You know how you cook, so plan your kitchen according to that and you'll be fine. We have a bedroom entrance quite similar to yours, so I certainly hope there is not problem with the furniture! The only suggestion I can give at a quick glance is the entrance from the garage into the utility room. Would you ever consider making that area to the left when you walk in from the garage a wall straigt across with a door to the laundry room that you can close off? Then straight ahead and to the right would be open? I hate the fact that right now the house we are in has a garage that opens into the laundry room. There are times, with 4 kids, that I would truly like to close that from view. If you close that off, straight ahead or immediately to the left when you come in from the garage, you might be able to build a locker for Lauren. You will have a beautiful house.

Amy

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is a good suggestion! I never even thought about it before. I guess because I am a clean freak it never even occurred to me to be worried about it. Plus it would only be us coming in from that way 99% of the time.

I do have a piece of furniture I intend on buying that is going to sit right at the wall straight ahead that is like a bench with a high back that has little cubes and coat racks, then the bench opens up for storage. So I guess you could say it is a mud/laundry room. I am glad there is a door that separates it from the half bath!! My friend is building a house and her laundry room is right off the breakfast area. I would hate that. She is not happy with it but her husband pretty much is not giving her much a say on things with the house. Sad really.

I will have to really think about the laundry and talk to DH about it. I would hate to give up that piece I want so bad though!! :-)

Kelly

• amyks
    16 years ago

Kelly, you could actually still have a door that closes the area by the powder room and close the laundry room (glad you're a neat freak, used to be until I hit 3 kids. 4...I can't even think back to those days:-))off, unless that is something you are not at all interested in. I don't know how big the locker is, it could be inside the laundry room closed with a pocket door. The other doorway leading to the small hall where the powder room is you might consider swinging the other way. Hinged the same side, but swing it in if that makes any sense.

Amy

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

It's not just the entry to your master BR that's a furniture problem (not to mention wheelchair problem), but the design creates a problem in that entire end of the house. I'd remove that entire area clear down to the hall bath. And move the linen closet to the opposite side of the hallway just as soon as you enter the bedrooms hall(outside the right rear corner ob BR#2).

Then move entry to masterBR down closer to the hall bath. You'll still have a spacious hallway and can widen that linen closet by 2 or 3 feet or make two hall closets--very handy for sports gear, etc.

Flip the toilet & sink in hall bath so they're on the wall with the tub's faucet, requiring only one wet wall rather than two. You're saving sheetrock and have a more spacious hallway.

• okwriter
    16 years ago

Kelly,

Your kitchen layout is "somewhat" similar to ours, except our sink is where your cooktop is and our cooktop is where your sink is. Works great for us! I don't think you'll have any problem with it.

Overall, it's a nice floorplan! I really like it!

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pink toes - there is no moving anything. The slab is already poured. I am not really sure I see where the whole bedroom end of the house is a problem? As far as wheelchair access goes, I did not plan my house around that. I would pray and hope that we never need it but if that is something that would be needed someday we would deal with it then.

I can see your point on the bathroom walls but I like the lay out as it is. We also have a shed for outside so storage is not a issue for me in the house.

I love the suggestions from everyone on the board! It is fun to read them all in the different posts. I think the main thing to remember is we are all different with different ideas, wants and needs. What makes one person like a plan is not always going to be the plan for others. That is what makes each house 'your own house'! My husband read the first post and said he was not going to read anymore! LOL!

I mainly posted the plans just to give an idea of our house. There is no changing much of anything with the exception of a small wall maybe.

Amy -DH and I looked at our plans last night and the funny thing is we decided to have that door leading into the small hallway swing in the other way :-) That back door leading outside is not there, we have that just has a wall. I think we will leave the open space in the laundry. DH thought it would be to cramped if we put up a wall. So I guess my job will be to make sure I keep that area clean! LOL! Really I will be the only one looking at it each time since I will be parking in the garage!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

LOL Kelly! We love to analyze house plans don't we. When you posted it and said "tell me what you think", everyone grabs a pencil and goes to work. ;c)

I never posted my floorplan. Fear of telling me I did it all wrong I guess!

You're house is going to be great! What's the estimation of completion? How many months?

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

When you ask this forum, "Let me know what you think" well, that's what you get!

Overall, I think it's a nice plan. My livingroom, kitchen and dinigroom are set up just like yours except reverse and I also have a gallery at the front of the house. I also have one dining and living area. It's great to be able to devout that square footage elsewhere.

• sweeby
    16 years ago

I like it very much -- nice efficient use of space. I especially like your single dining area.

I would agree with the comments about increasing the depth of your patio. Can't say I've ever heard someone complain about having too large a patio.

I'd also agree about either adding a prep sink to the island, or perhaps shrinking the island a little bit so that you'll be less likely to 'clip your hipbones' travelling from the sink to the range. Without a prep sink, you probably won't use the island for prep work. And with seats opposite the sink, you won't use the island for seating. That leaves it at high risk for being either 'useless' or a 'junk collector' -- both of which would bother me.

• okwriter
    16 years ago

Is this floor plan available somewhere in a book or online? I'd like to refer it to someone who is looking. Thanks!

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Since you have already arranged it just the way you want it, not much can be changed anyway, I think you just wasted a lot of people's time.

Did you want positive criticism to improve your plan? [Apparently not.] Or did you want a pat on the back? [Way to go, girl! Good job!]

• okwriter
    16 years ago

Now THAT was an insightful comment. I can point you to a another forum where you'll fit right in. ;)

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

"I can see your point...but I like the lay out as it is."
    "...there is no moving anything. The slab is already poured."
    "I love the suggestions from everyone on the board! It is fun to read them all in the different posts. I think the main thing to remember is we are all different with different ideas, wants and needs."
    "I mainly posted the plans just to give an idea of our house. There is no changing much of anything with the exception of a small wall maybe."

okwriter: The landscaping forum often attacks people for asking for help, without giving any. Been there. The situation here was quite different. OP asked for help and several people took their time to give it careful consideration. If you look at my posts here and elsewhere you'll find I always do that.

In return, I expect the OP to have intended to take some of the commentary to heart. Surely I'm not the only one here who was taken aback when I read the comments quoted above. As it turns out she just wanted to show off her plans all along. Or something. The couple has already decided what they want; they are just excited and want to show them off. Nothing wrong with that--just say so. Lots of folks post pics and say "looky at mine." Would've appreciated that same consideration myself.

It's good feedback for her moving forward here--you'll get lots of help. Don't have to act on it. But please don't waste people's time (and your own).

• dadaoy
    16 years ago

I like all the windows and I also like the kitchen but I do think a small sink in the island is a great idea. The rooms seen well proportioned. I would like to know what the square footage of the house is and if it is based on a particular floor plan. Would also like to see the elevations. Thanks for posting.

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok first let me say I am sorry if I offended anyone. I meant not to and certainly did not intend to show anything off!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen a lot of people post their plans and I certainly do not think my plans are all that. I am excited about building our home and I found a place to share that. I guess I was wrong.

Pinktoes, I never wanted a pat on the back!!! I just simply said let me know what you think, I never asked for "help"! I am new to this forum and I guess I made the number one mistake by posting my plans. I would understand if I put in the title "need help with plans or any suggestions on what to change". If I had ANY idea people would go after it like they did I would have NEVER had posted them. I am sorry I did and sorry if I wasted anyones time. Let me ask you this though. Is it bragging when people post pictures of the inside of their houses? I have seen a lot of posts with pictures of the inside of houses. Do you go after them like you have me? It never crosses my mind that they are showing off.

I thought I found a place to share my excitement but I guess I was wrong.

Again, I am sorry for wasting anyones time or bragging.

I would at least like to answer some questions that were asked if that is ok? I do not want to seem like I am bragging.

dadaoy - the square footage is 2178 and it was a custom design by another person here in Austin. We looked through all the stock plans at the Architects office and picked this one.

Okwriter - they are available only the Architect here in Austin called PFA Design group.

sweeby - the patio is 10' deep, our back porch foundation is 4' high so the plan is to build a deck off the patio.

lindybarts - we are a few months behind because of the all the rain we have been having, I hope to have it done by the end of October or sooner if we are lucky

Thank you again and good luck everyone on your houses.

Kelly

• bungeeii
    16 years ago

I'm also a fan of split bedrooms. Sometimes you just want to have a little privacy from the teen children. I think your plan has a very nice compromise. There is a bit of privacy there with that wall creating a hallway for the other 2 rooms. Not knowing what you have for a view, I can't say you "should" do this, but if it were my home, I'd have more windows in the front so that I could see the front and back yards from the family room. The door to the backyard by the powder room should be nice and frequently used.

I do notice, however, there's no front closet. You must be them kind of people that don't take your shoes off when you enter the house.

ha ha ha
    (Do a search on "shoes on" and see what you come up with. It's crazy what some people get worked up over.)

• dadaoy
    16 years ago

Thanks for answering my questions. My wife and I have lived in Austin in the past and currently live 2 hours North West of there in San Saba County. I don't post often, but lurk quite a bit and I love to see the plans and pictures of others. My wife and I own land and hope to build in the near future. Please don't be put off by the response of others and by all means post as many pictures as you can, without pictures to look at this forum would be missing a lot. You can also start your own webpage to chronicle the building of your house. Are you going to limestone the exterior?

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dadaoy - San Saba County is so pretty! I know y'all have gotten a lot of rain also. I was not sure what you meant by the elevations so I am sorry I did not post anything on that. We did buy the plans from PFA Design Group in Austin. The plan number is - 2178 L

We are going with Sandstone on the Exterior. We were going with a tin roof but we have decided to go with a three dimensional shingle. It will save us a couple thousand there so...

We just bought our land last September and we love it. We go out there all the time. It is so peaceful!

Thank you for your post and good luck with your house when y'all start on it

Kelly

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

Like I said before, the key is to NOT ask what others think about your plan, finishes, color or whatever if that is not what you want. Just a simple, "Take a look at my . . ." is good enough if you just want to share. Sharing is very well taken and encouraged around here so don't be shy.

BTW, I'm building in San Marcos and the rain has severely delayed my driveway and septic system. I think after this week we will go back to just plain ol' hot and we can all get back on track!

• dadaoy
    16 years ago

I looked at the PFA Design website and they do beautiful work. The elevations are basically the exterior drawings of the house. Tin roofs can look very pretty but I think I would go with a shingle roof initially myself. Have a good time building and I hope it stays dry long enough to not cause you any problems.

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

kelntx: Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking for. I think a lot of other posters did as well. That's why people were making suggestions for changes--which wasn't what you wanted at all.

I believe you misunderstood my point about "showing off." There's a lot of showing off around here. There is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with that. It's what people are doing when they post a picture and don't want any positive criticism or helpful suggestions.

Looks like I wasn't the only one who misunderstood what you were asking for. It would be helpful to me--and others--to define what is meant when you post a picture and say:

"Ok, let me know what you think."

Most of us gave a "thinking" response and disappointed you. Perhaps you mean something different by 'think' than most people do. Would you take the time to give some examples of what kind of responses you wanted?

Pinktoes Ex#1 of kelntx desired answer: "I think it's very beautiful."
    Pinktoes Ex#2 of kelntx desired answer: "I FEEL your excitement."
    Pinktoes EX#3 of kelntx desired answer: "I think you've chosen a plan that meets all your unique needs and desires.
    Congratulations!"

Now if you would be so kind as to play along:

Kelntx Ex#1 or her own desired answer: [fill in the blank]
    Kelntx Ex#2 of her own desired answer: [fill in the blank]
    Kelntx Ex#3 of her own desired answer: [fill in the blank]

Just trying to get you to think and communicate clearly about what you want. I will copy your reply and try my best to respond in accordance with your particular expectations in the future. That's what we're here to do.

• okwriter
    16 years ago

Aw, geez, now we have to define what the word "think" means?! Why do I suddenly see Bill Clinton pointing his finger and saying, "It depends on what your definition of IS is." Give it up, already, pinktoes, and go get a pedicure.

kelntx, just ignore some people. Thanks for the info on the architect! They people we know who are looking for a plan are looking for something just that size, it it is perfect! I think we might have considered that plan if we hadn't already built. We're almost the exact same square footage - but we're in flat, windy NW Oklahoma rather than that gorgeous part of the country you live in.

Good luck with your project!

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pinktoes - I had to laugh at your post this morning. My first response to you was that I neither have the time or the desire to "play along" with your little game. What the heck though!
    My desired response? It sure the heck was not moving a whole end of my house completely around and re-designing it!?!

"I'd remove that entire area clear down to the hall bath. And move the linen closet to the opposite side of the hallway just as soon as you enter the bedrooms hall(outside the right rear corner ob BR#2).

Then move entry to masterBR down closer to the hall bath. You'll still have a spacious hallway and can widen that linen closet by 2 or 3 feet or make two hall closets--very handy for sports gear, etc."

I mean honestly, it would cost me a small fortune to re-design my floor plan like that. I guess my PC answer should have been something like 'Thank you for the suggestion' or maybe 'great job on the re-design!'. My fault for being honest.

Amys point about the laundry room was a great suggestion. I did not blow it off because I did not get a I LOVE your plan, it is very beautiful! DH and I drove out to our house last night and measured that area because her suggestion got us thinking even more yesterday. Monday I plan on telling our builder we would like a wall there.

Allison sure got me rethinking our bedroom door layout. I called the builder and he sees no problems in the future unless we really have oversize furniture. He suggested we measure our dresser which we will do.

The kitchen, I know a prep sink is probably very logical to most people, I am sorry if I feel the need to not want one.

Now, will you play along also because I have a question for you and then I am going to heed the advice of others.

Are you building a house right now? If so, I do not see how you have the time, or the energy, to sit down and completely redesign someones plans and then tear them apart when they do not agree with you. I read through a ton of posts last night and I learned I can not take things so personally. There are a few judgmental people on this forum if you so much as disagree with them you are in the dog house. I will not be in the dog anymore and keep saying I am sorry for being very excited about building my house. I do not believe I misunderstood you. I was not showing off, yes I think everyone loves to hear positive feedback and negative as well. This house is about the only positive thing, besides my husband and child, I have in my life right now. I have a mother who has Alzheimer's and does not even remember who I am half the time and siblings who could pretty much care less about my house, so again, I am excited and proud of my future home. I will not let you nor anyone else for that matter take that away from me.

I am off my soap box now.

Enjoy your Sunday, I know I will, and I sure has heck will be saying some additional prayers in church this morning.

Kelly

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

okwriter - you are more then welcome for the info! Our plans, with the few changes that we made were much much less then if we had them drawn up. We had our own plans doodled but when we met with the architect it was going to be over $6,000 to do our own design!! Michael Love at PFA spent so much time with us looking through stock plans and really took the time to help us find just what we were looking for. DH and I are trying to think of the perfect thank you to send to him.

Thank you again for your well wishes and I hope your friends find just what they are looking for!

Kelly

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

kelntx: I'm sorry to have upset you. I believe I'm getting a clearer idea of what you want. I sometimes have difficulty understanding things that are not expressed in words that I can understand. (I have a learning disability and I still get frustrated and upset and sometimes strike out at people when I don't feel like we're connecting. I'm sorry.).

Sorry that you've been so disappointed by your mother's remoteness; she probably doesn't know what she's doing to you. It's also too bad about the uncaring attitudes of your siblings; maybe they're just jealous of you. But I'm glad that you at least have the love of your DH and your child, and your excitement about a new home in progress. And it's good that you have a religious faith to support you through all this as well. You will enjoy sharing and being supported on this forum; a lot of people here are good at that. I'm maybe not so good at it, but I'm trying to do better. I do have a good brain and a lot of knowledge, however, so maybe if you can get through to me I will be of some help with "thinking" types of matters.

You'll be fine.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    16 years ago

Kelly,

I love your floor plan. We are building right now and also decided that two living rooms and two dining rooms are unnecessary for our family. Instead, we have one large great room (with both a fireplace sitting area and TV viewing area) and one dining area, which is part of the kitchen. However, we will have additional seating around our island, which doesn't have a sink or stove in it. This will suit our family's lifestyle the best, and I think, from what you've said, your family will be very happy with your floorplan as you've designed it too. Thinking about how it works for your family is the most important thing - more important than trends and appearances.

I bet you will also really enjoy the front and back porch areas. Also, I just read an article stating that the kitchen "triangle" concept is not always a hard and fast rule to live by in designing kitchens. People are making their kitchens larger these days, and sometimes things work very well even without the triangle. As for pocket doors, we are putting a pocket door in our laundry room so that it doesn't encroach on the space of the room, but we're keeping a regular door on our powder room to make it more dressed up. But maybe we'll wish we put a pocket door in there too, given the small space.

Good luck with your build and please post progress pictures!!

Jan

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jan - I know, we keep going back and forth on the pocket doors! Do we put one or not? Hard to know! I guess either way we will find out if we made the right choice!

Kelly

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Kelly: a couple of people indicated interest in your plan and asked for elevation drawings. Could you post them?

Even though some of us suggested changes to the interior layout, I don't believe anyone suggested anything that would change the exterior. It would be nice to see what it looks like because despite small changes suggested inside, everyone really likes your overall plan.

Thanks.

(BTW, some of my toes are really pinkish--a birthmark of sorts)

• charliedawg
    16 years ago

Darn it! I'm late to the party. Well for what it's worth, here is my 2 cents.

Changes I would make for little or no $$$$ that would make me happy if the home was going to be mine. Other than these 2 things I think it's a great plan.

1. The home I am building forces us to walk thru the laundry room from the garage to get into the house like yours does. Your laundry room is much bigger than mine and it looks like you could have a hall from the garage into the kitchen area and the second door could be moved down closer to the W/D. That way if your laundry gets piled up you won't have to look at it every single time you come in the house. This is a feature I would really like. (hindight is 20/20)

2. We also have a covered deck off of the breakfast/kitchen area. Our builder made a last minute adjustment and added a grilling deck so we could use a small grill up on the deck. We have a walkout basement so if we didn't have this grill deck we would have to walk down 15 stairs to grill. That cost us about 250 but was well worth it. We used it the other night and it kept the smoke out form under the covered deck.

Always remember that a persons intentions in a thread are not always crystal clear. What one persons reads as helpful another reads as critical. Personally I like reading it all, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sure pinktoes, I will post the elevations. I do not have a scanner so I had to just take pictures from our plans.

Some changes we are making:

Shingle roof instead of metal (the cost of the metal roof ended up being way to high and I like shingles, DH wanted the metal)
    The posts on the front porch are being rocked all the way up
    There is no wood trim around the windows and doors, it will be trimmed out with rock
    The garage doors are going to just be insulated doors and not cedar.
    The rock is sandstone
    Oh and the house is flipped. So if you were standing in front of the house the garage is on the left. The plans show it on the right. The builder has all the correct plans.

Front of house
    {{gwi:1481781}}

Garage side
    {{gwi:1481782}}

Side of house
    {{gwi:1481783}}

Back of house
    {{gwi:1481785}}

Back of house - I could not get it all in one picture
    {{gwi:1481787}}

I am sorry if it is hard to see the pictures. I need to invest in a scanner.

Kelly

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It kept rejecting my message so I guess I have to change the subject line? Can you tell I am new to all of this! LOL!

charliedawg - I think I see what you mean. I am about to head out to our place to meet with the electric company. We need to get a pole out there and get service.

All the wood for the framing is being delivered today so I am going to talk with the builder about walling off the laundry room. I am not worried about laundry build up...well I say that now but who knows how it will be when my daughter is a teenager and just throws her clothes in there....but after really thinking about it, I am bothered by that being so open! LOL! We will see what the builder says :-)

We will probably have the deck built on after we move in. I just see having any extra money for it right away. Not sure though we could, we are going with a shingle roof instead of metal so that will save us some right there. Who knows, yet another decision! HEE HEE!
    Kelly

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They do not have the fireplace on the front elevation picture. LOL! I have looked at these plans 1000 times and never noticed it. Funny how we miss little things like that :-)

Kelly

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Gorgeous! I like your idea of columns being all stone--both for the aesthetics and the lower upkeep (one less thing to rot). It's a perfect Texas ranch, esp. for the hill country. If we were building there, it's what I want.

Can't show it to DH; he'll want to sell our land and move out there. He lived there 10 years. Then, later, we visited there while his mother was still alive. She lived in Round Rock. His father and grandfather were from Taylor, where Gpa had a bar (saloon? it had horses tied out front).

It'll be great!

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Our first home was in Round Rock. Small world :-)

Is the salon still there in Taylor? I love history!! When we lived in VA I was amazed at everything. The homes, the history there! I loved Alexandria, I was in heaven there. I met a lady who grew up south of DC and her family had over 100 acres and she said they use to find old confederate buttons, bullets, all kinds of things. DH gets so mad at me sometimes because I am the type that has to stop and read the little historical markers on homes. It just fascinates me!! When we walked our property for the first time all I could think about was who walked on this ground before we did....Indians, settlers...my mind just goes nuts!

So enough of my history obsession! The builder suggested rocking the columns. He said the wood would rot in a few years and this would just nib it in the bud. The back columns will be wood though but with it being under the roof I think it should be ok. I hope so anyway!

Our builder told us we need to start thinking of cabinets. Has anyone heard of Alder wood cabinets or does anyone have them? He mentioned it and said that it is a very soft wood but a few years ago it was considered a 'junk' wood. I think he used the word lightly but who knows. He is building his home and said he used these cabinets and it has a very rustic look to it. I am not sure if I am spelling the name right but I think I will Google it and see what I come up with. We are going to go and look at his cabinets in a few days to see what they look like.

Kelly

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Think the saloon has been changed to a barbershop.

They use alder a lot in the pacific northwest. It's getting more popular. I have 2 alder office chairs and love the grain and color; mine are sort of like unpatterned maple but alder has a slightly pinkish tone.

Be sure of what you're getting. If he's talking rustic, he might mean KNOTTY alder.

• kelntx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

He did say he had knotty alder and his brother had select alder. I did find a ton of pictures after I did a search last night on the forum. I love what I am seeing :-)

We have a $8,000 budget for cabinets. Not sure if that is good or not. When we met with our first builder he told us the house could not be built for less then $270,000. He told us this after the first ten minutes sitting down in his office! He spent about 5 minutes going crazy with his calculator. He said that was with the metal roof, wood floors, upgraded counter tops, he just went on and on. He never even went out to our lot. We mainly got his bid to just compare with a few other builders. DH did not like him when we first met him, said his hands were to soft! LOL! The builder we went with was highly recommended by my sister who had worked with him in the past. Then a friend I use to work with heard we were looking for a builder and sent me his name! Said her best friends used him and they adored him and his work. I thought it was a sign! LOL! Anyway, we told him our budget and he worked it to fit. Main reason we are going with tile through out, shingles instead of the metal roof, laminate counter tops etc. Our builder did show us some new laminate that is new on the market, looks great! I guess I just do not want to go to inexpensive on something like the cabinets. Do you know what I mean? I am rambling on and on, to early in the morning to be thinking so much :-)

Kelly

• piasano
    16 years ago

I cannot get the photobucket to work.

Is there a special way to open your pictures?

Thanks ~ I would love to see the house.

Barbara