SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marisany

BR almost finished; pls help with shower enclosure decision

marisany
15 years ago

At long last, the major work on our bathroom renovation is done. I am very grateful for all the help I've received on this forum, both from answers to questions I've posted, and from searching existing posts.

This is not the official "before and after" thread, but I do have some near-final photos. I have not yet ordered the shower enclosure. I still have to hear from one company, but so far it comes down to two possibilities. First I'll post a few photos:

Hardware end of shower enclosure:

Other end of shower enclosure:

Looking into bathroom; shower is just behind door:

And a couple of photos of sink and toilet (radiator will be framed in and painted white; a few things still missing):

The bathroom is VERY small. The shower is 5' long and about 30" wide. Notice that the window frame comes into the shower area. I had the door molding cut off, but decided to leave the window molding intact. This means that there will be a gap between the end of the glass shower enclosure and the far wall. I know that there may be a little water getting out. The open end complicates the design of the shower doors.

The plan is to have a stationary panel, about 36" wide, attached right along the door molding. Hinged to it will be a swinging door, about 19" wide. This will leave an opening of about 5". I have been given two options, so far. One is to have the stationary panel attached by u-channels on 3 sides (floor, wall abutting door molding, ceiling), with the swinging panel attached by glass-to-glass moldings. The fixed panel will be almost 8' high (height to ceiling), and the swinging panel will be lower, maybe 6' high. I am worried that there will not be enough air circulation, and moisture will be trapped in the hardware end of the shower, because there is no opening above the fixed panel.

The other option is to have a header going all the way across at a height just above the window molding (about 7'4" high). Attached to this will be the stationary panel. The swinging panel will be attached top and bottom by pivot hinges (more attractive than glass-to-glass hinges). The swinging panel will have to be as high as the fixed panel (about 7'4"). I am worried about air circulation here, too.

Any opinions on which configuration would be better? (Or less bad, I know I have no really good options).

Comments (22)