SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginawsu

removing removing (?) linoleum glue

ginawsu
14 years ago

Hello!

I'm hoping someone out there might have some good advice for me. We have a 1926 craftman home with a bad late 80's/early 90's bathroom rennovation. We're trying to peel away (quite literally) some of this 80's fashion, and one of the items on our list is to replace the pergo laminate floor (which must have been on sale because it's everywhere!) with tile. Last night we lifted up some of the flooring to see what kind of subfloor we'd be working with, and discovered that underneath a dry, flakey layer of yellowing adhessive, we already have tile- and it's almost the exact same time that I was wanting to put in!

We scraped away at some of the tile to discover that it's in pretty good shape. I'm not sure if this will the photo will convey this, but there are square outlines in the dried gunk, which make me think that at some point, there were linolium squares directly on the tile, and that this gunk is leftover linoleum adhessive.

Scraping with a razor cleans up the surface of the tile, but I'm thinking that anything in the grout lines is going to be more of a challenge. Are there any solvents or solutions that anyone could recomment to make this process a bit easier?

{{gwi:1481800}}

{{gwi:1481801}}

Comments (2)