SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Help resetting or downgrading to Vista

chas045
10 years ago

I have two problems and was planning to just let my computer guy help me out but perhaps he is out of town or something. With some advise, I can probably do this myself anyway. I mainly need to know if I am thinking this thru correctly.

First: The wife and I were much more familiar with WinXP and I still have trouble working with Win7 so the particular version of windows is probably not an issue. I don't assume I could go back to xp but....
I have a Dell Vostro200 desktop running Win7. with office2007. I got it on Craigslist 1.5 years ago. The sticker says that Vista home premium was loaded originally. The seller said he had upgraded it to win7. I believe I ran the MS authentication check and it said it was OK. Last year, microsoft said I only had a one year deal on office. My computer guy got me office2007 then(he has it in bulk). End of introduction.

A few weeks ago, what I first thought was spam, appears to be microsoft now saying that I have an invalid Win7. I ran validation, was told there was a particular patch that I found and then was told that this patch repaired a gap that previously allowed false validation and I needed to get a valid copy. I was planning to see if my computer guy had bulk Win7 deal (I'm sure he does) but he isn't responding today.

However I also remembered that I scrounged an old Upgrade set of Win Vista Ultimate in a sealed case. I'm actually having a hard time opening it! It is sealed up well. Since I have the original vista tag on the case, can I just run this upgrade set and downgrade to Vista fairly easily??? Will the upgrade set require original win 7 or original Vista disks that I don't have?

Second Problem: as I was planning to call my computer guy, I realized that we somehow left a dvdrom drive door open and the wife banged into it. Brute strength didn't reset it. It is stuck open. I figure an old dvdROM is cheap and I can yank the old one out. However the computer should be shut down. I wonder if this drive not shutting will mess with shutdown, and more importantly mess with a restart. I suppose I can just power down if necessary; open the case; remove the broken drive; and restart without a drive if I haven't gotten one yet?? I have a rw dvd drive anyway too.

Comments (5)