SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

Tried Mapei Flexcolor CQ grout? Recommend?

newenglandsara2
9 years ago

Hi All,

I am looking for a grout that I won't need to seal and that will hold up well in a light color. One store recommended Mapei Flezcolor CQ grout. This is a newer product. I think it is like epoxy grout, but it is pre-mixed and stays soft for up to a year. I would love input before I purchase.

Thanks so much!

Sara

Comments (18)

• nancyaustin
    9 years ago

I'm looking forward to the responses to Sara's question because the fellow who gave me a bid for our bath redo specified this type of grout.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

The current Cutting Edge grout would be "Fusion Pro," available from Home Depot. Not cheap at about $50 a tub, but well-worth it. It is a pre-mixed product that is stainproof, anti-microbial, never needs sealing. It is my "Go To" grout if you want NO issues with it.

• CBierschank
    9 years ago

Thank you for your interest in our product. MAPEI Flexcolor CQ produces hard, durable grout joints and requires no sealer, and is rated for both residential and commercial projects, interior and exterior. If you would like to see more about his product, I have included a link to our Flexcolor CQ video.

For assistance in selecting products for your next project, please feel free to contact our MAPEI Technical Services Dept. at 1-800-992-6273

Here is a link that might be useful: MAPEI Flexcolor CQ

• jodyforeman
    6 years ago
    I just tried this product. The color is supposed to be exact. I used biscuit and it was way off. Looked more like avalanche. Floor and Decor told me it would change color as it dried. It did not. Had to scrape it all out. Read the same complaint from many people online. Avoid this stuff unless you like redoing projects.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Grout should be picked from the stick samples, not printed brochures. I've never had any issues with CQ and spec it for most jobs.

• Karen Christian
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We installed 24x24” Volakas Porcelain tile and used this grout. Our tile has only been in for 2 months and I run a robot vacuum daily and mop 1-2x a week. The grout already looks dirty and mopping doesn’t clean it! Too expensive to have this type of issue! It’s only hubby and I and I’m extremely OCD and we don’t wear shoes in our home! Socks only! Very disappointed as now I’m looking at having to stain 2000 sf of this! Don’t use! This grout color we used was supposed to be almost white! It was for about a week!

• jodyforeman
    6 years ago
    I know it's a little late but I would recommend laticrete spectralock pro. I used it in my shower after I removed the Mapei Flexcolor. It is epoxy but it is easy to work with. You can mix it in small or large batches. Dries to the exact color and never stains. You can research it online.
  • Mary Knight
    5 years ago

I agree with Karen. I have this grout-Biscuit. Talked into it by my contractor’s tile guy. Installed June, 2018 (4 months) ago. They left a haze, but finally, after a couple of weeks of convincing them that that sticky haze was not coming off, my contractor bought the 2 Mapei cleaning products for removing the sticky mess. Within 6 weeks I noticed the grout color where there was traffic was looking dirty. I got down with a brush and Dawn, scrubbed, wiped. There was no evidence of dirt. It’s almost like the dirt is “stuck” to the grout. We Are very clean people;, use a large dust mop and vacuum frequently as well as mop at least 2 x (usually 4-5) weekly. Probably 3000 sq feet. At a loss for what To do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• lyncur
    3 years ago

I had the same experience as jodyforeman with Mapei Flexcolor. Ordered the color Frost, after my master bathroom floor dried it looked just like Alabaster. My tile installer agreed that the color is so off, looked so much like alabaster that he thinks the bag may have been mislabeled at the factory. The tile installer had to remove all Mapei grout! Then installed Laticrete Permacolor in Smoke Grey. Very happy with it, the color is true to the sample and is much more consistent than Mapei.

• Joshua Akers
    3 years ago

I just used this in a customers shower, the walls are fine but the floor grout has stayed soft and washed out completely on one tile. So i reapplied grout to that tile and told them to wait 24 hours and check it in the morning it was still soft. Im removing this grout and installing fusion pro.

• JJ Carlson
    3 years ago

I just put this in my bathroom and have the same issue, the Biscuit color on the container does not match the actual color of the grout, which is more like Alabaster. I also thought it might dry to the proper color, but it did not. So now it is already down and I am not pulling it all out, but it is very expensive to not even match the color on the label. It is way off. I also don't like the square sharp-edged sponge that comes with the grout. I found out the hard way that using it will result in pulling a lot of the grout back out of the grooves, even just using it on the last pass. I don't think I'll use that sponge in the future but I'll have to call Mapei and see if there is sealer in the sponge or something necessary, since it is foamy when wet. Next time I will try Fusion Pro, due to the color issues, and these reports that the grout is not stain resistant and softens when wet.

• HU-816810376
    3 years ago

any update on this? How is the Mapei Kerapoxy CQ after one month? I am about to lay grout for a tiled shower floor and want to make sure the Kerapoxy CQ does Not absorb the water in any way. Thank you.

• Dan Marr
    3 years ago

Also dissatisfied with this product, have laid it in my shower floor 3 times and waited a week before using ... of course it allows water thru ... they need to STOP SAYING THIS WORKS ON SHOWER FLOORS! because it is worthless on the floor!

• millworkman
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

"of course it allows water thru"

Grout has never been touted as waterproof, it is was never designed to not allow water thru.

• V V
    2 years ago

Hi, I used Flexcolor CQ in both my shower floors and surrounding walls. This shower has only been showered in a couple times and we started noticing these white spots on our midnight black grout. We stopped showering and tried called Mapei, the rep said it shouldn’t be doing that.
    Is anyone else having this issue? If so, what do you think is the cause? What can we do to remedy this issue from ever happening again bc we would like to use this shower. The grout was never sealed bc the product specifically says it’s comes pre-sealed.

• HU-804170843
    last year

I bought this when I was tired of trying to figure out the best grout for my shower and let a Daltile salesman sell me this product. It was supposed to be close to waterproof, but once you buy it you find out it is not. I have done many tile jobs in houses I have lived in, so grouting is hardly new to me. It is one of the easier parts of tiling and my wife and I can grout and clean tile quickly.

After reading all the horrible reviews after I bought it (check all the Flexcolor CQ colors for more reviews), I thought about returning it. But I convinced myself some people never have good experiences and some never read instructions. I read and reread all the instructions and looked at lots of videos. I applied in small (3 sq. ft.) areas and wiped down excess immediately and kept at it. It was too no avail—the tile looks dull and the haze is thick. A white scrubbing pad (the mildly abrasive ones that disappear as you use them) with an abrasive tool and a microfiber cloth will get a lot of it off the next day. Not sure whether I have to get tile haze remover from Mapei for this (I promise myself never to buy Mapei products again). I only did about 15 sq. ft. so far. I will apply Grout Release today to the rest of the almost 200 sq,. ft. of tile I have. They recommend that for bumpy tile, but even with subway tile the haze is very bad.

Applying the grout is very, very time consuming on a wall. It is highly sanded and does not adhere to itself well when wet, so pieces of it constantly fall off the float. It is important to add and tape visqueen or other covering to floors and any other surface you don't want grout on because removing it is very hard. It does not easily get it into spaces between tiles, though because it is sanded it works on wide and narrow spacing. The previous owner did this shower and did a bad job—including walls not square or plumb, so tile spacing was very difficult. That is one advantage of this grout—it works from 1/16 to 1/2". It claims to be color consistent and does not stain though it doesn't matter much on subway tile. It took me an hour to do the small amount with constant cleaning. Probably a very, very small amount on the float is all that works unless you are doing a floor. Having to constantly go to the bucket for small amount slows you down even more.

This product has been on the market for quite a while. Some love it and some hate it. The reviews on the internet show both contractors and homeowners have the same reactions of love and hate. There is hardly any in between. Maybe after doing this for 5 or 10 jobs, you can master it, but for contractors that means expensive calls backs and for homeowners that means aggravation, extra work and maybe more money. A good product for a masochist, someone with a variety of tile spacing because of poor initial construction and maybe to avoid color issues. For the rest of us, almost anything else has to be better.

• menegus
    last year
    last modified: last year

Dont buy it! it is rubbish. the colour is never what you see in the swatches in the shop. The company accepts no fault and it is rubbish. My daughter purchased white and it came out dirty grey. The company said that it never comes out exactly the same, but this is way off. We now had to purchase a colour which is toxic to paint over the grout. Do not buy it.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!