SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bizzo13

In need of some CF comfort....

Bizzo
15 years ago

Today is my youngest brother Bill's birthday.

He would have been 41 today, but he died in a snowmobile accident in Colorado last month (26 days ago). I am particularly sad today, and could certainly use some good CF thoughts and prayers- as I'm sure could the rest of my family today.

He was on a snowmobile trip with his wife's younger brothers. Her mom and grandmom had flown out to spend time with her and the boys while Bill was in Colorado. Her grandmom left a couple of weeks ago, but her mother is still with her.

The group (nine of them I think) were on their last ride before they got on their airplanes to go home. He had been snowmobiling before, and wasn't doing anything stupid, according to a retired doctor who was also on the trip. (these guys go every year). He was on a groomed trail, following the guide, wearing his helmet, when his vehicle hit some patch in the snow (icy? soft? tree root?) and he lost control. He hit a tree (apparently the only tree in the whole big field). It knocked his helmet off, broke his neck and he died instantly, although they administered CPR for about 25 minutes, he was gone.

I am the oldest of 4, and while we are spread out geographically, our family is very close. I currently live the closest to Bill's family - about 90 minutes (or 4 hours if it's rush or season!!). My sister and her family are in SW Florida (where my parents also live) and my other brother and his family live in Virginia, but he is currently stationed in Iraq. Bill was close to all of us in different ways, but also very close to his nieces and nephew.

My husband and I are going to visit Bill's wife, and two young sons on Sunday. (Her roommate from college flew in yesterday to be with her this weekend) His kids are 18 months and 3 months old. He and his wife had been married 12 years but together for 20 - dating in college. They had been trying for kids for a while and these are post-fertility treatment miracle babies.

I was on my way to my parents to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary (valentine's day) when the accident happened. My dad and sister's husband told me when they got me in the car at the airport. My older brother (younger than me, but older of the two) had been in Iraq one week. He had his first 4-star briefing then they told him the news. He was able to come home on bereavement for 3 weeks, while the guy he was replacing stayed those additional weeks. We are so thankful to him and his family for that sacrifice.

The memorial was two weeks ago.

The CF is legendary for it's strength and support and I could use a little of that energy today. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: CBS 4 Denver news video

Comments (40)