SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

hosting 'house' guests....

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

The time has come once again for me to seek advice from my cooking forum friends! I have a very dear friend that I met in college about 6 years ago named Amanda. Well, about 4 years ago, she moved back home to Arakansas to be close to family and go back to school without having to work at the same time. We've kept in touch, but haven't seen each other since. She just told me that her mom is going to send her to FL for a week (sending meaning money for gas/food/spending/letting them use her car, they don't want to fly because they want to have their car to come and go as they please) as kind of a "graduation" present, but they aren't going to have money for a hotel because she's a poor student... she asked if she could set up an air mattress between all my vacuums and stay with me while she's here. Now, I cherish my solitude (if my b/f comes over more than once a week, I feel invaded!), but I love her dearly and I want to see her and help her out... but I do have a very small place (a one bedroom apartment, and the bathroom is off of the bedroom!). I can't very well say no, and I'm actually looking forward to it, but I just want some tips on making it go as smoothly as possible and on being a good host. She is also bringing her girlfriend who I have never met, but who is apparently very important to her, so I'm excited about meeting too, but that adds a new dimension to the whole thing. She said they would probably be out and about much of the time exploring Florida and I will be working my normal schedule, so we won't be in each other's faces all day long. I'm trying to think of what to do to prepare besides clean (which I'll need a month to do!). I've never had "guests" before...

I'm going to stock up on munchie food that they can just grab, and I plan to do some cooking for them. They are simple country people, so I won't be trying anything exotic on them though... maybe lasagna and homemade beef jerky and ice cream (she gave me my ice cream maker, a vintage Waring, when she moved, so that would be fun to use while she's here). I'm going to get them some Universal tickets since they want to go and I know they don't have much money. I don't have cable (I don't want to support the monopoly that is Brighthouse and I don't want it as a distraction when I return to school, I don't have self control), so I hope they don't get bored. I'm going to teach her how to hook the computer up to the TV and go on Netfix if they want to watch something. I'm going to give her a spare key so she can come and go as she pleases.... I trust her completely... I know she isn't going to make off with my flat screen TV or laptop :o) Though she may fall in love with the cat and steal him, she loves animals.... oh yeah, did I mention the girlfriend is allergic to cats? Yeah, that too! She said she'd bring her allergy pills though. I guess I'll have to buy a new vacuum cleaner to keep the hair down to a minimum :o)

Any advice? My friend Larry said if it were him, he'd give them the bed and take the air mattress himself... I told him we haven't been friends long enough to have rubbed off on each other; I'm not as nice as he is yet and he's not as mean as I am. I just hope the cat doesn't pop a hole in their bed in the middle of the night and send them flying through the window.

Comments (36)

• jojoco
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

When I lived in Orlando, we would have friends visit often. It didn't take long to figure out that guests used my house as a home base, and showed up often after dinner or later. I never minded, but I just want you to know that they probably won't expect much, just a place to crash and the occasional meal. For your part, do not feel as though you have to feed them every meal. You'll end up wishing them gone after a day or so. Set some guidelines, tell them they are free to help themselves to food from the fridge and show them where the pots and pans are. Tell them "my kitchen is your kitchen" hopefully they will make meals for themselves. If she is coming back to Fl, then she should know where Publix is, if not show her. Lots of prepared food there that isn't too pricey. In my experience, the best guests are those who are independent. I would not give them your bed, that is more than is expected (unless it was visiting parents). Just give them clean sheets and clean towels. They'll be all set.

Have fun!
    Jo

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

It sounds to me like you have much of it covered. Make sure you have clean towels available, of course. Would you have room for a jigsaw puzzle, or a game of some sort that y'all or they could play instead of t.v.? Actually, I'm betting they won't miss having a t.v., because they'll be too busy having fun in Florida and visiting with you. T.V's interfere with visiting as far as I'm concerned.

I disagree with your friend about the bed. If they're bringing an air mattress, let them use it. They would probably feel more comfortable, have more access to coming and going without disturbing you if you're asleep. Besides, if they're in your room, then you'd have to figure out how to get your stuff if they're asleep. It would just be awkward, I think.

It sounds like a potentially fun week, and remember, it's only a week. Have a great visit, Bobby!

Sally

• Related Discussions

How to host a 'house warming' without gifts???

Q

Comments (15)
    Thank you everyone for your thoughtful insights, I really appreciate it. The more I think about it, the more I'm sure there is no way to avoid "gifts" even though I would prefer to just share our hospitality. Gellchom, when I posted I just put my thoughts in random order and realized how awful #1 sounded after I re-read it. I didn't mean that as harsh as it sounded, I was being overly blunt, and certainly would appreciate the thoughtfulness any guest of ours put into a gift for us. Kitties will be ok too, they have their own bedroom and they'll go in there, best for our guests, and best for them since one of them is scared of his own shadow lol. DH has a very large extended family that we are very close to. In addition to living on the same street with 2 families, we also spend time at the lake every weekend with the rest of them as we all have cottages at the family island. Needless to say, they have all been following our long saga with great interest and now that we are home are relentless about when we are having our "housewarming" lol (and we've only been home a week!). I like the idea of a "cocktail party", that may at least minimize any feeling that they should bring a gift. I do have another question that I should have asked. Because DH's family is large (at our wedding 4 years ago, we had 108 people....and 10 were from my side lol), there is no way logistically that we can have that many people at our house at one time. We are planning the party for end of November and outdoors will not be an option due to temperature as well as the fact our landscaping is not done (think mud & rocks, but by then snow and cold). I'm thinking of doing it over 2 nights from 7pm-10pm (ie: Fri & Sat evenings) and let the guests RSVP for which night they prefer - this way I could avoid stepping on any feelings if people were not on the "A-List" (ie: first night). Do you think this would be ok? Adding up all the furniture seats I have, we have 28 seating spots. Thanks again for your really great advice.
    ...See More

Janice Dickinson to guest host

Q

Comments (2)
    did a quick search but couldn't find a food show...isn't she going to be on that silly "i'm a celeb get me out of here", later this spring/summer?
    ...See More

hosting holidays in a small house

Q

Comments (30)
    A few years ago, Mom and I decided we were tired of doing the big Chriwtmas dinner, so decided to do the appetizer Christmas. We got out all the silver we both had been collecting for over 20 years and bought the appetizers from SAMs club etc. Family members only brought appetizers that mostly required no prep on their part. It was spectacular. We had such fun decorating the table, rearranging the furniture cocktail style and not cooking. Family members still talk about walking in and seeing all that "BLING'. Since most people had other dinners to attend also, it was appreciated even more. After Christmas Mom and I both culled out many of the silver serving pieces that we knew we would never use again. Just glad we got to see it all in it's splender before we downsized.
    ...See More

Seat hght for host and hostes 21" side chair SH 19.5" is this OK ?

Q

Comments (1)
    IMO 18” seat height is the norm and you will need to make sure about your table height and if it has an apron under the top. IMO hostess chairs are very traditional and I do mostly contemporary design and never use hostess chairs at all.
    ...See More
  • lindac
    14 years ago

I'm with Jo...You don't have to worry about TV or amusing tham....they came to vacation not to hang out with your vacuums,.
    Just clean the place...have a few clean towels and some extra toilet paper, stock up on things like fruit and breakfast cereal or English muffins and coffee if they drink it and enjoy having them there.
    I would make plans with them for at least one evening for you to cook one of your specialties and have a great "remember old times" meal...but I expect that they will out and about.
    Linda C

• sheesh
    14 years ago

I can picture them being launched by the cat! What a commotion that would be. But.....fun!

Jo is right-the best guests are independent guests. Show them where the grocery stores are, give them good directions to interesting places, make plans for an evening or two together, expect them to clean up after themselves and enjoy your time together. Grin and bear it if you dislike her friend (like if she's bossy or messy and you have politely mentioned it) - it's only for a while. But it's your home, so don't put up with much.

It's your bed; I doubt that they expect you to give it up and then go to work.

I hope it's a pleasure for you. And your guests!

Sherry

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Bobby, it really does sound like you have covered everything. It sounds to me like they are only looking for a place to "flop" on vacation. They should not expect you to cook and pay for groceries. If they are thoughtful, they will take you out for a nice meal as a thank you.

I also live alone and when someone comes to stay with me I realize how much it disrupts my normal rhythms. Depending on who it is, I don't mind so much. I love it when my niece visits. We always sit and drink coffee and yak in the morning. You may have the same experience with your good friend. The girlfriend will be harder to have in your space.

Just be sure to put on your bathrobe when walking around!

Have fun and just think -- you won't have to dust again for awhile after they go.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I forgot to say how much I like reading your posts. You make me laugh out loud.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

I agree with the others. If it were your elederly aunt or parents visiting, yeah, you'd probably give up your bed, but they will be fine on their air mattress.
    And I think you're very generous to give them Universal tickets.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Add me to the votes that say don't give them your bed. First, it's unreasonable, second, it'll be hard to get to your stuff without disturbing them and third, they'd probably feel guilty about putting you out of your own bed as well as putting them up.

If I were in Florida, I'd be out and about all the time, so they will probably be out a lot, I'd tell them where the grocery store was and make sure I had stuff to make sandwiches, some fruit and something to drink and leave the rest to them.

Maybe you could talk to the cat and get him to only launch them off the air mattress if the girlfriend gets on your nerves, LOL.

Have fun with an old friend, Bobby. You'll love having her there and probably be happy to get your space back when she leaves. You're a good friend to put her AND her friend up plus get them tickets to Universal!

Annie

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I did have the clean towels thing in the back of my mind too :o) The only conflict we might have is temperature... I keep my place very cold (72 degrees) so they may freeze. Plus, I have the automatic thermostat (that I installed myself, and didn't get electrocuted!) set to my work schedule. It will be a busy week for sure... I want her to meet new friends since I mention her often they all know of our good old times together, so that will be interesting to try to coordinate along with their agenda and my work. They won't have trouble finding a grocery store, Wal-mart is across the street and they are simple country people not above shopping there. There's also Sweet Bay, Publix, and Winn-Dixie within a mile and Target with a grocery store within 5 miles. I'll coach Jasper with a hand signal on when to launch the bed or shed extra irritating hairs if necessary. >:-)

• jessyf
    14 years ago

I would hold off on buying a vacuum cleaner - its above and beyond the call of duty, IMHO - if they ask if they can get you anything, AND the other guest is having trouble breathing - you can suggest they get one. That being said....I know every one is different - someone who has allergies will have a difficult time at your place, regardless how much you vacuum. I think an air filter would be more effective.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Jessy, I was joking.... I have 30 (I think I'm up to 34 now) vacuums already, but I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new vacuum (or kitchen toy). Yeah, I think they like toast... guess I better go read reviews of toaster ovens now :o) I haven't had a toaster for 4 years, because I don't have room, but I guess I could sacrifice some counter space for a new appliance! I don't eat toast often, but it's a pain to use the broiler drawer on the gas range when I want it. I've gotten very good at opening that thing with my toe! I burn it every other time. And I do have a 4 cup coffee maker for guests since don't like coffee, but I think THEY would prefer coffee from a perculator instead... yes, I need a perculator too! How fun :o)

OK, all joking aside, the only one of those things I'm considering getting is a toaster oven... My friend Larry keeps saying how wonderful they are and I'm a little curious. Maybe I can stick it on top of the 'fridge... but then where would the radio go? OH decisions!

I did think of a rule while they are here... They are welcome to anything, but if they finish something TELL ME so I can get more. I just discovered that dear b/f finished my Hershey's kisses (I don't even like them that much, they were given to me), and I went to put them in a milkshake and there weren't anymore. I thought we had this out the last time he "accidentally" finished my ice cream! Argh!

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

While I hate to enable anyone to purchase things, there may be one thing that would come in handy both for that week and for DBF ongoing. Wally World and Target both sell a small magnetic write-on/wipe-off board for the front of the fridge. I think it was $4. When I (or DH) uses the last of something, it gets written on the board right then and there. No more surprises, and I don't have to put up with post-it notes everywhere.

• riverrat1
    14 years ago

Last night I had a little slumber party for the girls...they brought the dinner for last night and the breakfast for this morning. I provided lunch for today. They brought one of their little dogs and we had a great time. I learned long ago to just be still and let guest make the calls on what they want to do. I wouldn't do anything but provide them with a safe quite place to lay their heads down at night. You are a good friend and that's all that is needed.

Enjoy!

• sushipup1
    14 years ago

So 72 is "cold" in your house???? LOL! 68 is "hot" for us. Everyone is different.

But here's a little hint. Yes, someone might mess up your thermostat settings or in another way rearrange things in your life. But this is a guest. Just ignore it, don't let it bother you. Your guests will be gone before you know it, and you can reset the heat or move the vacs back to your liking. Don't sweat the small stuff. These aren't roommates, just guests. So expect minor inconveniences on your life. But it's all temporary.

Remember just to have fun---that's the only rule!

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

OK, nobody has mentioned the one thing in your post that jumped out at me..........
    The bathroom is off the bedroom! So.........they can't use it when you're asleep? Is there any way to hang a curtain or something temporarily to make a hallway?

These are girls! They NEED the bathroom! LOL
    It will be fine when everyone's awake, but could be difficult if you're in your room.

I agree with the others about having some snack stuff around (fruit, granola bars, sandwich stuff, maybe a potato salad). When I'm on vacation, I seem to eat out a lot, but coffee and a light breakfast are nice while planning my day.

Just enjoy. It may be a long week, but it's still only a week! Hope you have a great time.

Deanna

• mtnester
    14 years ago

I agree with Deanna, and I like the suggestion to make a curtain or put up some kind of screen for privacy (both yours and theirs). Wear your bathrobe!

When we travel, we hate to spend the money and time on breakfast, so I usually bring along granola bars, yogurt, and/or fruit for a simple meal in a hotel room. Coffee, of course, is a "must."

Have a great time!

Sue

• lindac
    14 years ago

Bobby....just remember to wear PJ's...it'll be fine.

• jessyf
    14 years ago

(So when do they arrive?)

• loagiehoagie
    14 years ago

"Bobby....just remember to wear PJ's...it'll be fine."

...and not those jammies with the feet in them and the back flap!

D-

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your advice on this thread. They arrived Sunday, and we are having a really good time. They are great guests.... they brought their own towels, comforter, pillows, and even laundry soap and coffee filters! They even used all the toilet paper (geez girls use a lot!) and replaced the roll for me! The best part is that they love my cooking! The night before they arrived, I made some banana nut bread and chocolate chip cookies. I used a tip I got from this forum with the cookies... instead of using an insulated cookie sheet, I used a regular thin one,and this was the first time EVER that my chocolate chip cookies weren't thin and runny! I have a friend who was going back up north for several months to clean out his mother's house (she died a little over a year ago), so he was going to turn his electricity off while he was gone... he gave me a 14 pound turkey so it wouldn't go to waste. I baked it, made garlic mashed potatoes, and cheddar biscuits like the ones at Red Lobster (thanks to you all giving me the perfect recipe years ago)... I had it ready for them when they arrived and of course they being weary travelers gobbled it up and seemed to really enjoy all of it. I made beanie weenies with bacon and brown sugar last night. I'm going to make some peanut butter cookies and apple cinnamon bread for them to back back to Amanda's mom... and we are going to do homemade beef jerky and homemade ice cream with butter fingers in it. We have been respectful about using the bathroom, and there are no issues... they are both pleasant and easy to be around. They are going to go to Universal tomorrow... I'm working tomorrow and Friday, but I took vacation days for the rest of the week. They were very thankful for the Universal tickets since they are on a budget... they begged me to go with them, but I don't do heat and lines! The may be here another week or so, but I am fine with that... I haven't felt invaded at all, it's be so nice and easy and comfortable!

So.... anyway, that's how it's going. I'll have to post some pictures of us all when we take some. THANK YOU all so much for all your advice on this thread and on many other threads... I'm a better cook and person because you all here are part of my life :o)

Oh... they both lover Jasper as does anyone who's lucky enough to be graced by his royal majesty's presence. The girlfriend (Carissa) is allergic to cats, but she's been taking medicine and I've been vacuuming and putting the air purifier by their bed to reduce any symptoms. Good thing, because Jasper won't stay off their bed! Look.... it JUST fits between the vacuums (and no that isn't all the vacuums!).

• lsr2002
    13 years ago

You are a great host, I'm sure they love being with you and your cooking. I'm glad you're having a good time and thanks for sharing with us.

Lee

• User
    13 years ago

Bobby, I'm glad you are having a good time with your guests. Lee is so right. You are a wonderful host.

Ann

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Good work, Bobby. They appreciate you, believe me. (Probably because you appreciate them!)

Sherry

• shaun
    13 years ago

Bobby -

I dont know if I've ever admitted this to you or not but I hate to vacuum. It's my most dreaded household chore on earth. I dont even know why ... but I HATE it.

So when I die and if I go to Hell, that picture would be on the front of Hell's Brochure... a bed surrounded by vacuums.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

A picture is worth a thousand words, lol. Your majesty seems so comfy there.

thanks for posting the follow up and update, I love it when that happens.
    They do seem to be perfect houseguests !!

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I agree, Mitch, his majesty looks like it's his own bed, put there just for his convenience. I don't think he even minds the vacumns, LOL.

I'm glad you're all having a good time, Bobby, and you are a sweetheart for hosting, I think it's a time that none of you will forget having.

Oh, and a double bonus on the chocolate chip cookies!

Annie

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys... Shaun, I'd vacuum for you any time! Besides, you're gonna go to heaven where they only have Roombas (robotic vacuums). Maybe if you got something that wasn't an Oreck you'd enjoy it more, who knows? LOL

Making spaghetti and garlic bread tonight, then going to try out the ice cream maker. They finished the banana bread, so I made a loaf of apple cinnamon with a brown sugar topping, very good!

• shaun
    13 years ago

I know Bobby! I HATE this Oreck! I want a Roomba. Do you think they are any good?

And thanks for saying I'm going to Heaven.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Hey, Shaun, Elery just got me a Panasonic. I actually like it pretty well.

My house is pretty small, and the cord is long enough that if I plug it in the living room, I can vacumn the entire downstairs without having to unplug it!

Sorry, Bobby, that's just an offshoot of the conversation. The apple bread sounds really good, heck, your guests might never want to leave!

Annie

• gellchom
    13 years ago

You are a very good host!

I'm coming to visit you.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Of course Shaun, remember, I met you :o) Roombas aren't powerful, but they are OK for very low carpet and bare floors. I've read stories about them getting tangled in a forgotten shoe string or something of the like, so you have to be careful with them though!

Annie, did you see my response on that other thread about your Panasonic?

Good heavens, I can start a up a conversation about vacuums no matter what we're talking about :o)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Bobby....they will never leave you know....a free bed....an in house cook and a pretty good one at that....no need to vacuum because the host has taken care of even that...and a kitty!
    and yeah...I need a new downstairs vacuum....something light enough for this old gal to handle but powerful enough to suck the rugs right off the floor....Oh yes and cheap!!!

• shaun
    13 years ago

Well I have low carpet and bare floors! I'm in luck!!!

Starting to drop hints now.

Annie that's one thing I hate about my little floor vac, the cord is so short!! So I just use an extension cord with it. I actually keep the extension cord attached to it, wrap it all up with the short cord and that's where it stays.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The spaghetti was a hit... Last night we went to a place called Old Town... it was motorcycle night and they both ride "bikes"... they convinced me to ride the Sky Coaster with Carissa. It raises you 300 feet and drops you down and then you swing back and forth for a while! It was kind of fun, not as bad as I imagined it to be. Not something I'd normally do, I don't know what got into me! At least my spaghetti didn't wind up all over the people below!

Linda, dear, for you I'd recommend very specifically the Eureka 1934A. I have one (barely visibile in the picture, covered by their dirty clothes bag) that I got for 10 dollars. It's humble, yet sexy and does a superb job. It's all plastic, so very light weight, but based on an older, proven style that really cleans well. No bare floors, no attachments, it was made to do one thing well (caprets) and that it does. The cord is very short, so, like Shaun, I leave an extension cord permanantly attached to mine. If you need it to do bare floors as well, then you need a canister instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just don't get a Kirby

• lindac
    13 years ago

I firmly believe old vacs are better...I have an old Hoover upstairs...great job on carpet...but too heavy to carry up and down stairs....
    Where can I find such a gem?
    The bad vac I need to replace is el cheapo Eureka....but does a lousy job on carpet.....and I do have a good tank for the bare floors....and swiffers are a good tbing too.
    Thanks for the rec.
    Linda C

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's hard to believe they've been here almost a week and will be leaving Monday. It's been fun and I'll miss them! I caught Amanda loading my dishwasher the other night, and I was ready to put my hands on my hips and wag my finger and scold her when much to my surprise, I discovered she'd loaded it EXACTLY the way I would have! What a treat, someone who can actually load a dishwasher properly... I've never seen anyone who attempted to load my dishwasher do it right! I almost fainted... then I went the bathroom and discovered that Carissa had put the toilet paper on the RIGHT way 'round (rolls off the top instead of from underneath)... so refreshing! LoL

Back to vacuums... Linda, I can't tell from your post if you are considering my suggestion or not... but please don't let your previous experience with your cheap Eureka discourage you from looking into the 1934A. It's really a fabulous machine. I see them on Craig's List for 25 dollars sometimes, but a new one can be had from Ebay or Amazon for about 80 dollars. Well worth it. Most of the reviews are glowing, (incluidng mine on Epinions) and I can see why.

I'll link to the Amazon page where you can see reviews and price. I can't think of a better machine to fit the requirements you describe than this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eureka 1934A on Amazon