SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_2007

How to host a 'house warming' without gifts???

loralee_2007
16 years ago

We just finished building the house of our dreams, on the old city-lot previously owned by DH's grandfather, with the remaining houses on our street constructed all by DH's great-grandfather. So there's some history with what we've done.

We would like to host an "open house" for friends, close neighbor friends, and family but we DO NOT want it to be seen or felt as a "gift-giving" affair that a "housewarming" usually is. We think that by calling it "open house" instead "might" convey the message we don't want gifts.

We have a few reasons we don't want "gifts". 1) Without being in our custom home, it's really a waste of $$ because likely their style won't be the same.

2) Our cats. I've heard that some people bring plants to a housewarming. Great gift...but not in my house. My cats EAT plants, I've tried. And those who are unfamiliar with cats are also unfamiliar with those plants that, although pretty, are poisonous to them.

3) I really truly do no want anything from my guests other than to come and enjoy our hospitality now that we are able to offer it. Woo Hoo!!

I will be gracious regardless of what happens, but is there a polite way of saying "NO GIFTS PLEASE"??? And I do mean in caps so people know I mean it lol!

And with the issue of plants and my cats, how would you deal with that if someone did show up with one? I don't know very much at all, so I would pretty much have to segregate that plant until I could research it. I'm not kidding when I say my cats chew on plants "immediately". I do not wish to offend anyone offering a gift and offending them because my cats are brats and I have to then "hide" their gift. (Which I don't want in the first place! Quite frankly, I know how to decorate my house and don't need outside help, especially from my guests lol)

Thanks for you advice!

Lora

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions