SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dandylandy

Calling antss and other refrigerator experts!

dandylandy
13 years ago

Searching the appliance forums for information on Miele fridges, I found some old posts where antss weighed in on what is "truly integrated" vs. not. Antss, you seem to have a reputation for not mincing words, which is what I want from you.

I'm a nitpicker and don't want my fridge to have so much as a vent or toekick or hinge visible.

My kitchen is small, and I can afford to spend to make it fully integrated, so want a paneled fridge and dishwasher.

Antss, and anyone else with strong opinions, here is the situation:

I like the look and interior lighting and feel of the shelves in the Miele 19xx VI (1901 right hinge or 1911 left hinge) better than the SubZero 736TCI.

However, on the Miele website, the photo shows the Miele not flat or flush against the other kitchen cabinets. It is in its own enclosure bumped out a wee bit.

When I looked at the specs (which I am not experienced at reading, so please help me interpret this as I know zip about cabinets, building things, and technical issues), it looks like they recommend a 25" deep cabinet for the model.

Miele 19xx vi specs

It also looks like the door will swing out 38 11/16". It seems kind of stranged that if it can be fully flush and integrated, that they would put a photo with it bumped out.

The SubZero 736TCI, on the other hand, has what feels like flimsier drawers, not as nice lighting inside, not as good drawer temperature controls, BUT, the photo on their website look truly integrated.

That is, SubZero also says that they require a 25" deep opening so the fridge can be flush with the cabinets (they say that you can either recess the fridge or move the cabinets forward), but for example, their door seems to be hinged from the inside, if that makes sense, b/c they show a

door clearance of 34 1/2" - considerably less than the Miele.

SubZero 736TCI specs

FWIW, my future fridge/freezer will be built in next to a wall, with only one cabinet next to it, and then another wall on the side of that. Can't move either wall as one is load-bearing and the other has plumbing and electrical in it.

When I was at our local appliance store, I really liked the Miele much more than the Subzero, but my number one concern is that it be flush.

So, please, give it to me straight: can the Miele be integrated the way I want, or should I bite the bullet and go with the SubZero?

Many thanks for reviewing the specs.

Comments (12)